internet campaign to restore star trek final frontier starts

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by tmosler, Jan 10, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As the 25th anniversary of star trek the final frontier approaches trek web is restarting its internet campaign to restore the final frontier with better special effects. So i urge any one who reads this to write to paramount and spread the news about the campaign. For all the details read the article on trek web

2. tmosler

If you are interested in getting this directors cut of star trek final frontier some things you can do are like there Facebook page, sign the online petition, and even write to paramount.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

As much as I'd be interested in seeing an officially sanctioned project like this, I think its chances are remote at best. I haven't got a link, but I'm fairly certain William Shatner himself lobbied Paramount for an opportunity to bring a Director's Cut to home video some years ago. If I remember correctly, there was little enthusiasm from the powers that be.

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I recall hearing something along that line myself.

And really, considering the focus is now on the rebooted Trek, I'd think it's even less likely now than it ever was.

5. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

That ship has sailed.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Its not worth it. Whatever you did to it, it would still be awful. The story is irredeemable.

I'd lobby for a cut that had the character pieces from the beginning and the end, and some footage of them camping in between...

7. tmosler

For any one whos interested they just updated the article on trek web

8. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again I find myself in the minority that thinks TFF isn't as bad as everyone else says. Sure it has problems, but its Star Trek through and through.

I think some people just get off on hating Shatner.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not at all. Shatner is great, and not just in Star Trek. His two TWILIGHT ZONE episodes are classics as well. And I'm curious to check out his new documentary on fandom.

Hell, I even enjoyed that movie he did in Esperanto!

But TFF just didn't work, and, at this late date, what's the point in trying to "fix" it? We got seven more movies despite TFF, so no harm done.

It has nothing to do with "hating Shatner."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you've mis-used the word restore in your OP, the word you're looking for is replace. ;)

11. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's why I said "some."

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well there is a sizable percentage of people who think flashy graphics equates to a good movie despite abysmal plot failings. Look at ST09 for example. Maybe a restore would improve the movie some, but enough to justify the money spent in doing it? The movie isn't even popular among the Trek audience, nonetheless regular people.

Honestly I always considered the movie more watchable than TMP. Even if it is fun to poke fun of Shatner's perception that Kirk is so awesome that he has to go up against God in the movie he makes. ;)

That doesn't mean I "hate" him though. Can't say I know the fellow and he did better in other places to be certain.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Well, you have a supporter here. TFF is nowhere near as bad as it's often portrayed. Certainly, I'd take it over Insurrection and/or Nemesis any day. Despite what I posted above, with some judicious editing, I do believe there's a significantly superior movie just waiting to be discovered - and yes - it could certainly stand to have a number of the shoddy FX replaced.

14. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Good FX can't save a bad movie, but bad FX can make the experience of a mediocre movie worse. And for all it's flaws, TFF actually has a lot of heart and quite frankly feels the most like an episode of TOS, more than any other movie. Fixing the bad FX and animating the Rockmen sequences would go a long way towards making it a little easier to watch the movie.

I would gladly rebuy TFF (and TMP with all three main cuts) in deluxe restored versions on Bluray.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

While it's true that Bran Ferren's VFX were inferior to ILM's, that usually gets cited as a severe problem with TFF when it in fact isn't. If for some reason they went back and replaced every VFX in that movie with the most stunning special effects 2013 has to offer, the finished product would still be a shitty movie with awesome special effects.

Let's face it: Nothing can make TFF better. Nothing.

16. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

^^ Your wrong, Lens Flares would improve it massively.

I don't mind TFF because of the character moments and it also has some pretty intense scenes as well, infact TFF is the first Trek movie I watched and helped me to get hooked on Trek! So it can't be that bad, though I can't imagine the same thing happening to a child of today :P

17. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

I would like the Director's edition of The Motion Picture to come out on blu ray before Final Frontier gets love...

18. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interestingly I read this interview with Rob Meyer Burnett yesterday where he argues for a directors cut. It actually sounds like it would be a good movie! It's not just about the effects...

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01092013_robmeyerburnett1.html

*Sorry - FrontierTrek has already posted something similar about this

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=199912

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^All I got from that quote is that he wants to cut scenes out to make the movie flow better. So the finished product would still be a shitty movie, but a shitty movie with a few less shitty scenes.

20. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Isn't that what happens in most directors cuts?

Thanks for the constructive comments. :bolian: