Emily Owens MD

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meryl Streep's daughter as a Doctor again, although on Off The Map she played a Bitchmonster from Hell, here she's somewhat of a possum caught in the headlights, ripping off early Grey's Anatomy quite well... The unusual difference is that the preachy thought bubble from the beginning of Greys Anatomy just keeps running though out the show, except it's Emily being neurotic about how the world is against her or everything is a trick or a threat... Which it most likely is. There are at least three bitch monsters from hell circling her sniffing for blood.

There's a misdirect on the love story which was fun, which is just going to make her bitter as her one true love, Smallvilles Green Arrow runs off with a bitch Monster (This is a line from Buffy which her psych professor Walsh used to describe herself.) from hell... Which leaves our little heartlorne on her sleave blonde girl a few options that she can't even quite recognize as yet...

The medicine was fantastic. Greys gave up on medicine years ago. It's all about sex, but here, just the act of resuscitating a patience going through the steps of a code seemed exciting because it was all explained by the numbers, while Emily was trying not to pull out her hair... I'm amazed that she could intubate on her first try since every other medical show I've seen makes clear that that procedure (sticking an air pipe down a throat) isn't taught till the first day and it's a little impossible.

I'm also amazed that they still use pagers.

Really?

I suppose it would cost billions to upgrade and change the procedure for the new millennium which isn't so fan dangled new any more.

Strong defined characters, subplots left hanging that are going to explode down the line, and Denver... That place snows all year round. Which means that costuming is going to be 8 layers on every actress and actor so that there's no obvious exploitation of the audience ambient sex, but truly I think we've all seen Justin Hartly take his shirt off enough for one life time.

Not bad for a girl drama.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Despite most doctors carrying smartphones too, they still primarily use pagers for their emergency messages. Not because it would cost more to upgrade the system and procedures, but because paging networks are more reliable for emergency messages and during emergencies that can disable cell service, have a more powerful signal, and reach everyone being paged simultaneously.

http://mobihealthnews.com/12503/why-doctors-pagers-still-trump-smartphones/

3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ I was going to say the same thing. The hospital where my wife works issued all physicians Blackberrys and took back everyones beepers. My wife didn't turn in her beeper and still uses it. However less then a year after issuing the Blackberrys they dropped them from service. They had very poor reception in the hospital, especially the deeper parts of it. My wife's office is in the basement, next to the morgue and she gets absolutely no cell reception down there. However she always gets her pages and can respond accordingly. So the hospital installed a Vocera system, which works way better but is still not 100%, but the system sure is fun.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was going to say the same thing, re: the pagers.

On a side note, it always bugged me a little on shows like "the X-files" that no matter where they were (especially for a show set primarily in the 90s), Mulder and Scully always had a cell phone signal when they needed.

5. Locutus of Bored

Yeah, I think it became most apparent in that first episode after the filming switched to California, where Mulder was driving that guy whose head was pounding from the SONAR signal across the Southwest desert and staying on the phone with Scully (who was traveling to remote areas herself) much of the time. Back then that would have been pretty dubious, IIRC.

6. Guy Gardener

Cell towers, or the tech behind cell towers were built by aliens in the X-files reality.

Am I the only person who saw this pilot?

7. Locutus of Bored

Probably. :lol:

I chose The Mob Doctor as the one medical show I'm allowed to watch per season, because, well, it involves the mob. I'd rather have it be about external drama right from the start rather than crashing a plane or helicopter on the doctors or having bombs and mass shootings happening at the hospital every season like other medical shows.

8. Guy Gardener

I'm finding mob doctor contrived and difficult.

She works for the mob badly.

They can't break her fingers for behaving unprofessionally, but they can break her toes.

How many little piggies can that woman afford to lose before blondie gets with the program?

But the grace with which she fleets between the dive bars or disused warehouses and the hospital is implausible. Even with preferential parking it should take 2 hours to exit the parking lot that is at least 4 miles from where her patients are.

Although if she had a magic carpet?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. Locutus of Bored

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's completely ridiculous. She would have been busted by the rest of the hospital staff in about five minutes with all her short cuts, falsified charts, and constantly ducking out during her shifts.

10. Guy Gardener

And what's with that nurse letting her get away with it?

Is she expecting a kick back from some insurance scam down the road?

Although if the mom garottes the mob boss on their honey moon with a string of pearls and takes over his syndicate...

I could get behind that.

"Mommy, mommy you saved me! I don't have to work for the mob any more!"

Mother slaps the girl doctor in the face hard.

"Don't be a putz. I raised my children not to Welch. You give me any more lip and I'll put you over my knee. Get to work."

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  11. Locutus of Bored

Yeah, I don't get that nurse's angle at all. She's crossed the boundary of what a (normal) friend would do for another friend a long time ago.

12. Guy Gardener

You say "normal" but we're already thinking lovelornelesbian.

Unless she's a mobnurse already being paid off to cover up after the clumsy mobdoctor?

I mean one measly doctor is shit.

if you have Boardwalk it's only sensible to double down with Park Place.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've seen, "Mob Doctor" looks like something that 30 Rock or the Simpsons would cook up as a parody of a bad TV show.

"But, Marge, it's time for 'Mob Doctor,' the doctor who's in the mob."

14. Locutus of Bored

^ Yeah, unless something changes I'm probably gonna drop it after next episode.

15. Guy Gardener

Giving you an spare unfulfilled hour a week to freshly devote to Emily Owens MD?

;)

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Fox just might beat you to it.

17. Guy Gardener

I just want shows cancelled without being pulled from broadcast.

Knowing that there's 6 episodes some where they won't show me is infuriating.

It took me 5 years to find the final 8 episodes of the ex-list for which the ultimate pay off was the opposite of rewarding.

last episode of Mob Doctor has to be a downer.

a. Mob Doctor goes on the run with her family.
    b. Mob Doctor goes on the run after her bother is shot.
    c. Mob Doctor is shot dead by the cops.
    d. Mob Doctor is shot and enters witness protection.
    e. Mob Doctor goes to jail.
    f. Mob Doctor is shot dead by the Mob.
    G Mob Doctor gets whacked with a hammer a lot until she stops being an idiot.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that show's not doing much for me. Mostly started it just because I liked the lead from My Boys on TBS...

19. Guy Gardener

3 episodes in the can on regular tv.

Good Lord!

It's so light and frilly and happy!

Love, hate or indifference?

(Mob Doctor continues to suck.)