Angel ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by saturn5, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

this was the very first episode i realized how fantastic an actor Alexis Denisof is. pretty much everyone else on the show is a one-note actor (brooding Angel and similar Gunn, bitchy Cordy, crazy Fred). and for the first four seasons, up to this point, i thought pretty much the same for Wes as well. but then we get this comic genius!

sure, wes had some slapstick back in season 1, and yes his pink-helmet line is hilarious, but it's not till this late in the show that i understood just how broad Denisof's range is - just how much broader it is than everyone else on the show. sort of like Londo on B5. starts off silly. ends up grave. but has everything in between.

great line, but i'm still going to go with

It's about time the English got what's comin' to 'em. I'm rootin' for the slave.
    i don't give 10's, but if i did, well, it still wouldn't be this :p nevertheless, very good.

2. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Some more memorable dialogue from Spin The Bottle:

ANGEL: I'm invisible.
    CORDELIA: No, you're not.
    ANGEL: Oh. Excuse me.

WESLEY: I am from the Watcher's Academy in southern Hampshire. In fact, I happen to be head boy.
    CORDELIA: Gee, I wonder how you earned that nickname.

3. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think one of the joys of Buffy and Angel (and especially STB) is watching the characters we know so well act in such a radically different manner

APOCALYPSE NOWISH

The Good;
    Hold on tight, we're going on a rollercoaster!
    The Bad;
    ?
    Best line:
    Lorne; "CLOSE THE DOOR!"
    Jeez, how did they get away with that?
    Apocalypses: 5
    Angel Cliches
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche; the gang royally get their collective ass kicked by the Beast
    In disguise; 8
    DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cheap Angel; 5
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Cordy: 5
    Angel: 12
    Wes: 6
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Angel, Wes and Lorne all knocked out
    Cordy: 12
    Angel: 16
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 2
    Lorne; 7
    Groo; 1
    Kills:
    Cordy: 5 vamps, 3½ demons
    Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 8 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
    Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamp+ 1 demon
    Connor; 8 vamps and 2 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Cordy: 2
    Angel: 2
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Cordy: 3
    Angel: 9
    Fred; 1

Characters killed: I figure about 50 dead at the nightclub?
    Recurring characters killed;
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 5 Wes for all intentions back in the fold
    Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes

Angel Investigations shot:
    Angel: 11
    Wes; 1
    Packing heat; Wes goes all John Woo with a pair of 45s and a pump action shotgun. Maybe he should call Buffy and borrow her rocket launcher?
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
    Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor
    Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies
    Wes; 3; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Actually no kinky dinky for Fred and Gunn since supersymmetry. Schoolgirl Lilah, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! "Keep them on", bet that's the first time he's ever said that to her! Lilah as Fred wishes that one day she'll have hips. To judge by 'Spin the Bottle' I'd say she'd prefer bigger breasts. CC and Connor also get it on. A lot of people dislike this as they think it's tantamount to incest but frankly I'm ok with it as long as they're not blood relations (fine with a girl wanting a daddy figure as long as it's not actually her daddy). Remember Connor doesn't remember CC acting as his mother and to her he's the closest thing she'll ever get to Angel (just as Spike hangs out with Joyce and Dawn because they're the closest thing he can get to Buffy) When told that snakes emerged from a part of someone's body Lorne wonders if it was just some form of sex game? When Wes suggests 'pooling resources' Gunn tells him to 'Go pool himself'.
    Captain Subtext;
    Gunn shows an unusual interest in bathroom fittings for such a macho character.
    Know the face, different character; 4
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Angel tortures Gavin but you figure not as much as Lilah's going to.
    Buffy characters on Angel; 16
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
    Questions and observations;
    Really like the way it's Gunn that figures out the symbol although it looks a bit like the cross of St Patrick to me (the red diagnols on the Union Jack). Can anyone tell me at exactly what point CC goes evil, it's never clear to me? Gunn's fear of rats reoccurs, living in abandoned buildings for so long must have been very tough for him. Really this is the end of the road for Cangel. Angel asks Wes if he's 'in' much as Doyle asks Angel if he's 'game'. Goodbye to Gunn's hubcap axe.
    Marks out of 10; 9/10 some really good stuff here

4. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think anyone can tell you that, no.

But in my mind, the force that is Jasmine is awakened by Lorne's taste-test spell at the end of "Spin the Bottle." But Jasmine isn't in instant control of Cordelia. Cor is still influenced by Jasmine's agenda, but I don't she knows yet that she is. The force grows gradually stronger and I think the line is too blurred to definitively say there's an on-off switch. But clearly by the time of "Calvary" she's full-on evil.

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Now this episode ... is awesome! I remember watching the rooftop fight with the Beast in first-run, and thinking 'holy crap! How did they afford this?' At the time, Angel's competitors in genre TV included ST:ENT. I don't recall ENT ever doing anything as in-your-face or awesome as that circle of bodies on the rooftop. :eek:

Season four became full on awesomeness from here on in...:cool:

6. saturn5

HABEAS CORPSES

The Good;
    Angel and co play Saving Private Connor during the fall of WR&H
    The Bad;
    Angel seems very out of character with his jealousy for CC and Connor but I guess love makes you do the wacky?
    Best line:
    Angel ; "Now take your new boyfriend and get out!"
    just beating Gunn's "Thanks for the newsflash Captain Obvious!"
    The Beast slaughtering EVERYONE at WR&H!
    Angel Cliches
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 5
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Cordy: 12
    Angel: 15
    Wes: 5
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1
    Kills: I figure everyone nails about 5 zombies each?
    Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 8 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamp+ 1 demon, 5 zombies
    Connor; 8 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 demons
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Cordy: 4
    Angel: 10
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed: about 200 at WR&H, evil sure but still
    Recurring characters killed; byebye Gavin but he's evil so screw him
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 5

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Captain Subtext;
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
    What the fanficcers thought; Read a nice one where Lilah goes to drown her sorrows in a bar after breaking up with Wes and runs into Kate who is leaving LA that night. They get drunk together and end up hooking up http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3106733/1/Girls_Night_Out
    The shortest teaser ever, Angel basically storms off the roof lashing out at everything on the way down. Wes and Lilah break up and never get back together. Lilah actually shows some pity for Gavin describing him as 'Poor bastard'. Lorne and Gunn's idea that maybe Connor isn't linked to the beast and it's just the mystical hotspot behind Caritas is actually pretty sound, rare that anyone tries to 'Scully' Angel (well maybe Sheryl Crow?). Are the zombies actually a satire of corporate life? Angel says he has a photographic memory as we suspected. Why doesn't Lilah try to put a round in the Beast's eye? Love Lorne's little look at his drink when the AI appear back in the Hyperion foyer.
    WR&H want to work with the beast but he's having none of it. Maybe good always defeats evil because good always works together and evil always turns on one another.
    Marks out of 10; 7/10

7. DS9Continuing

Yeah, I believe that Cordy/Jasmine told the Beast to rise in the alley behind Caritas precisely so that she could claim there was some connection to Connor and wig everyone out just that bit more. Either that or the Beast just arose wherever Cordy happened to be standing at the time, which in this case was Caritas. Either way Cordy took advantage of the opportunity to seed more distrust for Connor.

But then there is also the theory that Caritas itself is, as you say, a mystical hotspot - it's where Lorne first appeared from Lorne, so we know it's a good place to cross dimensions.

8. saturn5

LONG DAYS JOURNEY

The Good;
    Gwen, hooray! Also like Lorne mocking Angel's brooding.
    The Bad;
    You can visibly see that CC is preggers. Why not stick Manny on the first plane to Outer Mongolia?
    Best line:
    Gwen; "Where were you when they taught stealth in superpower school?"
    Angel Cliches
    Gwen's attitude of 'get the hell out of dodge' is very atypical but frankly sensible.
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 6
    Angel can't resist telling CC that the item he gave up for her cost $30million.
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: CC and Angel get slipped a mickey (or does she?)
    Cordy: 13
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1
    Kills:
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed:
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 5

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Manny intends to spend his final hours in a strip club called the Pink Pony. Gwen is still the queen of PVC (Spandexia)and it has the desired effect of making CC jealous when Angel takes her on their road trip. CC refers to Gwen as 'Supertramp', maybe she should have 'Breakfast in America'?
    Captain Subtext;
    Gwen calls Fred 'cherry'. Lorne says evil demon's can't pull off wearing lam'e like his as it just looks 'camp'. Manny asks Gwen if she'd like him to buy her a lapdance and she doesn't seem too offended. Gwen and Gunn start bonding on sentry duty and she refers to him as Denzel again which is quite a compliment.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Unless Fred and Gunn filled them in Wes and Lorne have never met Gwen but they seem unphased by her arrival. Connor get the living daylights beaten out of him by the Beast. Love the fact that the Beast knocks politley before smashing it's way and trashing the place AND Connor. The manner in which it's suggested Angel/Connor is being controlled by the Beast is similar to The First and Spike on Buffy. This ep sadly dedicated to Glenn Quinn.
    Marks out of 10; 7/10

9. saturn5

AWAKENING

The Good;
    Love Wes beating up the shamen's guard, he's really come a long way from the fop we first met in Buffy season 3. CC's little talk with Angel is excellent, manipulating him shamelessly.
    The Bad;
    It seems a bit silly all the hassle they go to in order to take Angel's soul away. Either give him some of the drug from 'Eternity' or invite Buffy down for a one night stand. Why not just destroy the wooden swords or cut the belts and bells?
    Best line:
    Angel; "Wood, why does did it have to be wood?"
    Spike through Wes' hand anyone? Stabbing the Beast up through the chin also isn't nice but you'd do it if you had to.
    Angel Cliches
    Connor more than willing to kill his father.
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 6
    Fang Gang in bondage: Angel tied to the table
    Angel: 13
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1
    Kills:
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed:
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: Cordy back in
    Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes, CC

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: this ep is a Cangelers delight but alas it was never to be.
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Fred a bit bashful over shining the torch over the Shamen's body. CC refers to the belts and bells as an S&M bondage party, has she been to many? CC tells her breasts that she knew they'd get her in trouble one day. But in fairness they've done a great deal for her over the years.
    Captain Subtext;
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Gwen has skipped town and I don't blame her. Kolchak the Nightstalker referred to (the inspiration for the X-files).
    I'm afraid here we have the definitive end of Cangel. When Angel lost his soul in Suprise everything was going to hell and Buffy alone was all it took to give him the happy. In this it takes a number of factors, killing the Beast, bringing the sun back, Wes back in the fold, Connor losing his resentment AND sex with CC. What's more watch it with the subtitles on. As Angel, ahem, has his pleasure moment, he says 'Buffy'. Sorry CC he wasn't thinking of you. What exactly is Jasmine's plan? Why does she want to turn day into night?
    Marks out of 10; 8/10

10. DS9Continuing

Again, I don't think anybody really knows. It's written off as "birthing pains" later in "Inside Out," which is clearly rank nonsense. A few other possibilities:

1. Permanent night in Los Angeles leads to lots of vampires from all over the place migrating there for their new hunting grounds. This leads to, when the sun inevitably comes back, all those vampires getting caught outside and being killed by the sunlight, thus reducing the number of vampires in the world. This of course ignores the fact that all those vampires probably killed and turned a lot more innocent humans while they were there than would have been saved by just killing the vampires. (Side note: would have been nice to see a shot in "Salvage" of all the vampires going *poof* out in the streets when the sun comes back. Probably prohibitively expensive to render.)

2. A psychological game by Jasmine to help prepare the people for her coming. People might be more likely to believe in a saviour coming to offer them paradise after a period of especially hellish suffering. This is supported by some of the party chatter in "Players."

3. Just another way to distract Team Angel with lots of hard work to do saving people, so that they won't notice the increasingly obvious serpent in their midst (ie, Cordelia).

4. A combination of all of the above.

To me, Angel season 4 is kind of like a season of 24. Tremendously exciting while it's happening, filled with lots of twists and betrayals and unexpected reveals, but with a tendency to sacrifice some of the logic in order to keep the rapid pace and make the twists shocking enough.

11. saturn5

SOULESS
    The Good;
    Love Connor sticking it to the tourist vamps. The rest of the ep is very Hannibal Lecter (you should only watch Manhunter, the rest are crap) and it's interesting how it emotionally affects the rest of the team.
    The Bad;
    The whole idea of Angelus being able to remember something whilst Angel can't is stupid (it's reminiscent of Buffy not being able to read his thoughts in Earshot). That said you wonder does he know the truth about Dawn?
    Best line:
    Angelus (on Connor's Oedipal dilemma) "There should be a play"
    An entire family wiped out
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 6
    Fang Gang in bondage: When they bring back Angelus he's tied to the table. So why did they let him up?
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1
    Kills: Connor kills at least 4 vamps. I know he's pretty much an unpopular character but he is heroic, fighting the good fight on the streets.
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Connor; 12 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 demons
    Fang Gang go evil: Angel big time
    Angel: 3
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed: the poor Sver family
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations:

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Wes and Fred kiss at last, the effective end of Frunn
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Angel refers to Buffy as a 'pistol'. He refers to his 'first nun' and the gypsy girl he got cursed for as a virgin. He thinks the sword in Angel's fantasy as phallic. He imagines Fred as a schoolgirl (as did Lilah) and thinks about bending her over the kitchen counter. Note when he remarks on 'different strokes' he moves his finger suggestively on the bar. He also comments on CC having a 'rack to write home about' which is certainly true. Angelus says he's sure that Angel like's CC on her knees and that Cordy looks good on everyone, is a screamer and a better ride than a Mustang. Angelus also claims he used to hear Fred and Gunn com-shuking but he might be lying. The rest of the gang find out about Connor and CC. CC offers herself to Angelus in return for his info. The translation of the Beast in ancient runes is 'big hard thing'.
    Captain Subtext;
    Angelus considers Angel 'candy-ass'.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    When Angelus is teasing Wes he refers to Faith who is of course coming up. Angel refers to Oedipus which was also referenced in the Buffy ep 'The Puppet Show'. We see Angelus in Prussia in 1789 making his way to Austria. This places him just after Darla abandon's him to Holtz in the barn, they'd agreed to meet in Vienna.
    Marks out of 10; 8/10 but it only get's better from here in.

12. saturn5

CAVALRY
    The Good;
    Angelus is so evil and conniving you wonder if Holtz and co had a point? Altogether a great episode with so many wonderful scenes
    The Bad;
    ?
    Best line:
    Cordelia; (stabbing Lilah) "Why do you think I let him out you stupid bitch?"
    Some nastily implied racism when Angelus goads Gunn (Liam of course was also pretty racist to Gunn and Wesley in 'Spin the Bottle'). The vamps killing the firemen is also nasty but worst of all the tragedy of the vamped little girl, you realise why Holtz was right to kill his daughter.
    Angel Cliches
    Fred wants to continue her relationship with Gunn after she learns of Wes and Lilah. But he turns her down, obviously been getting lessons in quiet dignity from the Groo (Riley could have done with some).
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 6
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: CC by Angelus
    Cordy: 14
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1
    Kills: 1 demon for Gunn
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Connor; 12 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 demons
    Fang Gang go evil: CC and how!
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed:
    Recurring characters killed; alas poor Lilah, she was evil but I always felt there was hope for her.
    9;

Angel Investigations shot: Angelus by Lilah (if she still had her pistol why not use that when Wes enters her hideaway?). CC takes an arrow
    Wes; 1
    Packing heat; Gunn with the flamethrower we saw in 'Dad'
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Interestingly it's Gunn who breaks up with Fred rather than the other way around
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Angelus threatens to rape Fred to death. He also tells an aghast Fred about Wes and Lilah. Angelus thinks Lilah wears a thong.
    Captain Subtext;
    Angelus thinks Wes is quite the dish 'if I swung that way'. Lilah comments that Lorne's suits make him look like Liberace. Lilah calls Fred 'honey' and asks if CC is trying to 'turn her on?'.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    What the fanficcers thought; read an interesting one once where Angelus wipes AI out but then Dru get's resouled and forms her own heroic gang with Lilah, Kate, Gwen, Oz, Justine, Bethany, Ethan Rayne etc
    Interestingly in this ep we're told a soul can be destroyed which I didn't think was possible. We learn that Angel always suspected that Gunn killed Sidel. The soul-stealer was buried by the Chumash who are the American Indian tribe also featured in 'Pangs'. Nice scene with Connor and Gunn bonding during the digging. Well, hands up who saw this twist coming? Liars! Shocking an all pretty damn brilliant. But you know what, it only get's better from now on! Nice scene at the end where CC and Lilah almost seem to bond a little. Lilah's 'he killed the...' speech appears to be part inspired by 'The Usual Suspects', could the Beast be in fact Keyser Soze? Or is that CC?
    Marks out of 10; 9/10

13. saturn5

SALVAGE

The Good;
    Chant it with me boys and girls, FAITH-FAITH-FAITH-FAITH! My favourite episode of Angel is Orpheus, my favourite moment is at the end of 5X5 where Wes drops the knife in the alley but my favourite scene is where Wes has his conversation with the imaginary Lilah here, it's just stunning.

The Bad;
    If you think there's anything wrong in this episode then I suggest you go to the doctor for some anti-crazy pills! Ok so the demon who wants Angelus to sign something for his spawn is woefully badly done.

Best line:
    Faith; "Just like riding a biker" (oh she is SUCH a naughty girl!)

Connor; "I don't give a flying schluck!" (I had to rewind this to check this line). Awful watching Faith getting a terrible kicking from the Beast. But your heart just bleeds for Wesley having to decapitate Lilah's corpse, couldn't he have let Connor or Gunn do it?

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

Cheap Angel; 6

Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: CC passes out in the lobby
    Cordy: 15
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1

Kills: 2 vamps for Faith, 1 for Connor
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Connor; 13 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 demons
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed:

9;

Total number of Angel Investigations: Faith joins AI for a three episode arc, making this the biggest line-up ever (although of course CC is actually evil as indeed is Angel)
    Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes, CC, Connor, Faith

Wes; 1
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 2

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: CC and The Beast get all kissy? I don't know if they Com-shuked though, I'm not even sure if The Beast has the equipment to so I'll put him down as a possible
    Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor, 1 possible; The Beast
    Wes; 3; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 1 possible Justine
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Faith actually tells Wes he looks good. Gunn and Connor also like Faith, she comments it's a shame when Gunn says 'I hold my own'. Faith tells Angelus to 'Give us a kiss' just as she did to Buffy in Graduation Day Pt1. Faith is also described as 'smokin hot'. Angelus says that he knew Faith would enjoy a threesome and suggests he, she and the Beast 'get it on'. Interestingly she says 'Sure!'. Connor has a weakness for Slayers just like his old man. Angelus seems disappointed that he's facing Faith and not Buffy.

Captain Subtext;
    Personally I think Faith-in-prison would be a good series in itself.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

What the fanficcers thought;
    Faith being released from prison to help out either the Sunnydale scoobies or Angel Investigations is such a popular theme in fanfic it borders on the cliche. Faith in prison also a slashfic favourite.

Everyone else notice that the knife the assasin tries to use to kill Faith is the same as those used by The Bringers in Buffy? Can anyone else explain to me what Jasmine's plan is and how Angelus and The Beast fit into it? Can't Angelus read CC's scent at the warehouse or has she disguised it? Lilah talks of redemption, even after death is it too late for her? Of course Faith never met the real Angelus and Wes only met him for a little while under the effects of the drug in 'Eternity'. The term 'The Skinny' is used about Fred, I wonder if it was deliberate? Angelus calls Dawn, to judge from their conversation she and Angel get on well. Faith says that girls are always the Slayer because they're 'better'. We have the 'what do you do?' speech from Speed which was HUGE at the time. Faith's ingenuity of breaking the window with the chains to let in the sunlight is awesome. But you just know she'd have figured out some way to defeat Angelus, she's our girl.
    Marks out of 10; 10/10 and the good just keeps coming!

14. saturn5

RELEASE

The Good;
    The Wes and Faith hurt/comfort scenes are excellent. The hunting of Angelus is magnificent.

The Bad;
    Wes' shotgun seems to contain an inordinate amount of shells?

Best line:
    Lorne "Mojo?"
    Fred "Nojo"
    also like;
    Vamp (as the daylight returns); "What the f...?"

Hard to watch Faith all banged up and self harming in Wes' shower, you'd think Eliza naked in a shower would normally be cause for celebration but not this time. A magic shop owner badly beaten but at least alive, if this was Sunnydale he'd be a goner.

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

Cheap Angel; 6

Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Poor old Lorne and Connor knocked out, the latter assuming the classic Jesus pose.
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 5
    Groo; 1
    Connor; 1

Kills; one vamp for Wes
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 12 demons+4 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon

Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed:

9;

Wes; 1
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 2

Packing heat; Wes breaks out his shotgun
    Wes; 8
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Fred wants Gunn back but he turns her down. Connor is at least part demon meaning 4 out of CC's 5 lovers have been some form of supernatural creatures.
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Faith actually has the most unerotic shower scene for a beautiful woman in the history of TV. Apparently CC and Angelus both 'like to watch'. The demon declares he thought 'she was 18'. Faith refers to being 'spanked'. Angelus says 'That hurt. I liked it'. Wes refers to Sylvia Plath who wrote about the 'Electra complex' referring to Agamenon's relationship with his daughter in Greek mythology but also a term for girls' quest for a father figure throughout their lives (Buffy/Giles, Faith/Giles, Faith/The Mayor and finally here's Faith/Wes as the Watcher's Council always intended).
    Faith; "Screw you!"
    Angelus; "Maybe after! I like my girls to lie still"
    CC knocked up AGAIN! 3rd time in 5 years. Does she ever meet a demon she doesn't get impregnated by? If that's your thing (and you're over 18!) check here; http://www.taboostudios.com/taboomain.html

Captain Subtext;
    Angelus is told he's going to be the master's 'bitch' like the Beast. And so he is. "Master". The junkie in the vamp brothel thinks Faith is pretty and asks if she wants to make out? She seems tempted (maybe missing the communal soapings in the prison showers?). Wes says that the girl probably enjoyed Faith hitting her and says that Faith is still looking for some S&M punishment. Angelus refers to Wes as a 'ponce'.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;
    Faith and Wes torture their way through LA, he's so hardcore even she's outraged.

So what if Angelus had really turned Faith? A lot written on this idea but a sequal to them all has Faith's Slayer nature taking over and getting them both resouled. (And what would a vamped Slayer look like? http://img254.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=67205_buffy458_122_7lo.jpg)

Fred's good with a tranquilizer gun but then she is from Texas. Her hair rather makes her look like Princess Leia. The one horned demon in the bar sounds an awful lot like Merle. How much of losing the fight is Faith faking? Faith is bitten by Angelus, Xander, Tara, Wes and Oz, the only Sunnydale Scoobies never to be bitten by a vampire.
    Marks out of 10; 10/10 no question.

15. Skellington

Screencaps for Orpheus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Skellington

More screencaps for Orpheus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Skellington

Even more Orpheus screencaps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Skellington

Final batch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is actually the second time that I've screencapped this episode. 392 screencaps are on-line in hi-res and lo-res versions.

19. saturn5

Looking at those screencaps makes me want to watch the ep all over again!:)

ORPHEUSThe Good;
    Fabulous, the wonderful flashbacks and Faith and Willow working together with AI, just amazing!
    The Bad;
    All too wonderful for anything like that. A bit stupid that they put Ally's name in the opening titles, spoils the suprise of her appearance somewhat.
    Best line;
    Faith; "Dust in the wind. Candle in the wind. There'll be a general wind theme"
    plus
    CC; "Oh sh...!"
    and flapper "Pound snow you mook!"
    2 headed foetal pigs? Yuck!
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 6
    Fang Gang in bondage: Angel chained up at the end
    Angel: 14
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Faith in a coma, again! Gunn knocked out by Connor
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 2
    Lorne; 5
    Groo; 1
    Connor; 1
    Faith; 1
    Kills;
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 12 demons+4 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed:
    9;

Wes; 1
    Wes; 7
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 2
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 8
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly The Beast
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    CC accuses Connor of liking the way Faith 'cracked her whip' and thinks he wants to be in her 'leather clad lap'. Wes tells Willow about having a woman chained in a closet, she seems more intrigued than shocked. Angelus refers to keeping Faith's thighs warm. CC and Connor's relationship is described as 'icky'. Faith says of Connor 'Break me off a switch, there's going to be a whipping!". Angelus refers to 'eating' his mama!!!!
    Captain Subtext;
    Willow describes Connor as handsome and androgynous, hmmmm? Plenty of Fred/Willow subtext, even Wes gives a little look when Willow strokes Fred's chin, especially when Willow asks 'What's Fred's story?' and speaks of 'The call of Fred'. Fred wants to discuss Baachanals with Willow. However she later tells Fred 'I'm seeing someone' by which she means Kennedy back in Sunnydale. Faith calls Angelus 'princess'.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Not much fic on this ep itself but quite a lot on Willow and Faith's drive back to Sunnydale which must have been a pretty awkward trip. They normally go along the lines of Faith apologising for what she's done followed by Willow forgiving her and explaining her own dark deeds. Then they stop at a motel and have a night of lesbian sex. After all, Willow says that she 'got a Slayer' out of helping Angel Investigations.
    Missing scenes;
    According to the commentary we have an extra scene where Faith and Angelus see Angel discovering the Hyperion? Why not include that on special edition DVDs?
    Willow makes her 3rd appearance on Angel. This is actually quite momentous as it means she's actually the 2nd most prolific character in the Buffyverse. Angel is number 1 with 167eps (57eps of Buffy and 110 eps of his own show), Willow is 2nd with 147eps (144 eps of Buffy and 3 appearances on Angel) and Buffy herself is joint 3rd with 146eps (144 eps of her own show and 2 guest slots on Angel not counting archive footage taken from Buffy or the movie) with Cordy who also has 146 appearances (57 eps of Buffy and 89eps of Angel). Then comes Xander with 143 eps of Buffy (he's in every ep of Buffy except 'Conversations with Dead People'), Giles with 123 eps of Buffy, Spike with 120 (97 eps of Buffy and 23 of Angel) and Wes with 107 (6eps of Buffy and 101 of Angel).
    I'm sure most Xena fans will recognise Adrienne Wilkinson who played Xena's daughter Livia/Eve as the flapper whose dog Angel saves. Met her at a convention once and she's beautiful and charming. Gina Torres, another Xena/Hercules alumni will turn up in a few eps time and Orpheus is the name of an early Xena ep.
    The flashbacks help us track the various stages of Angel through the years. They basically fall down to;
    1. Post resouling daze; (as seen in Darla)
    2. Try to get back with Darla in Peking;
    3. Coming to America; ('Orpheus')
    4. Brooding loner; (up until the events of 'Are you now or ever have been?')
    5. Hedonism aka The Manilow Years; (up until feeding on the guy in the doughnut shop in Orpheus)
    6. Street tramp; (up until meeting Whistler in Becoming pt2)
    7. Sunnydale
    CC refers to Willow as Glinda, the good witch from The Wizard of Oz (Cordy herself doing a good impression of the Wizard behind the screen). If you haven't seen Wicked go immediately, it's great and you'll never watch TWOO the same way again. What a shame we never get Barry Manilow to guest star as he did on Will and Grace. Gunn once again tells Connor off, once again playing the father role to him. The guy who walks past Angel in the doughnut shop may have been doing cocaine and that's why his blood is racing. With the exception of flashback this will be the last time we see Angelus begging the question is he actually gone for good after Angel and Angelus' epic face off in the dreamworld.
    Maybe I've been watching too many Michael Jackson tribute shows but everytime I see the 1920s sequence with it's flappers and zoot-suited fedora wearing wiseguys playing dice outside the speakeasy I keep expecting them to break into 'Smooth Criminal'?
    Marks out of 10; 10/10 Faith AND Willow in the same episode of Angel, makes you want to cry with happiness! Rewatched this one 4 times! I know I previously said 5 by 5 was my favourite but actually this is my favourite although the Wes drops the knife bit is still my favourite moment ever

20. Skellington

Thanks - My work is done!:)