Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shaka Zulu, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I enjoyed that article and it was one of the articles I read previously. Although I took the view that it supports my general position - I don't believe that the writers have a sexist agenda but that obliviousness to the issue leads them to produce a sexist product. Whether you label it sexism or laziness because if we're raking in the cash don't fix it, the article indicates that there is a strong gender divide. The objective problem does exist.

The article was looking at the situation in a wider context too. Bridesmaids was a film that focused on a group of women but I expect that there were roughly as many male characters as female. I don't expect to see a 50/50 ratio in a war movie or a historical drama, depending on the subject matter, so I think an overall gender divide across the industry is probably inevitable from the perspective of where the article is coming from.

Trek's problem is that it espouses equality but doesn't display it. In the sixties a crew that was 1/3 female seemed very progressive but the butterfly effect and 40 years of real world emancipation should have moved that on. I don't see it.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the biggest thing I noticed is women seem like to watch men engage in violent behavior in entertainment. Backed up by the fact that 44% of NFL (National Football League) spending is done by women.

3. BillJ

And if women want it changed, they are increasingly in the position to do it via economics. Like I've said all along.

4. Pauln6

Oh yeah - I've noticed that casting directors are very often women. Although I presume that they can only cast the characters that are in the script. Still, please don't assume that I would ever suggest that women cannot be prejudiced against their own gender. In fact, if women were not so disloyal to their own sex, they would have taken over the world a long time ago! :rommie:

I think it's a matter of perspective though. Women may like what they see but would they like it more or less if there was more gender balance? The social norms have obscured the problem from many people's consciousness. Most women have not even noticed that there is an issue like most women were not concerned whether they had the vote when suffragettes started out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

No not the meeting with the captains and FOs the little tete a tete he was having afterwards with about 8 men. To me they looked like Marcus' 'yes' men. Mostly admirals.
    This was the meeting Kirk and Spock interrupted. There were no women in the room.

6. BillJ

Yes there was. One in a skirt walks away when the meeting breaks up. Whether or not she was the secretary or someone important, I don't know.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Someone posted a screencap showing several women in attendance.

8. BillJ

I think you're thinking of the meeting prior to the attack on Daystrom. I could only spot one woman in the Marcus' meeting after the attack.

9. BillJ

Well? I posted evidence about women's increased buying power. :p

10. Pauln6

Maybe the actress playing the stenographer in the first movie signed up for 3 films? If so, she's our second female recurring character to date! Awesome.

11. BillJ

Like I said, I don't know who she was. Just that a woman was there.

12. Pauln6

But what's the solution being proposed?

To ask women only to patronise movies demonstrating equality? How would that be implemented on a practical level?

To ask women to fund movies demonstrating equality? I think we'd need to do an analysis of the gender divide among the wealthiest investors to see what likely impact that could have overall.

I think trying to raise awareness that the divide exists among both male and female script writers and male and female casting directors and encourage them to think about their characters more equally is a simpler solution but I don't see why all three couldn't be attempted.

13. BillJ

They don't have to be investors. All they have to do is quit buying tickets to movies that present things that they are against.

That is up to women. I don't want to speak for someone or a group of people who have shown to be wholly capable of speaking for themselves.

Did you ever stop to think that this isn't as big an issue to women as it is to you?

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It wasn't just advertisers in the 60s that led to more black and female roles; the three networks at that time also had serious fears about potential government intervention.

But, this doesn't change the point much.

15. Pauln6

Hell yes. I nag the women at work all the time. Despite being way smarter and more efficient than me a lot of them lack the confidence to go for promotion. I think they should encouraged because it helps society overall. More women in more senior positions will make the world a much better place. Too many a**holes have too much power. Women hold the key to the population explosion and a lot of other issues.

I for one am ready to serve my female overlords. :borg:

I'm still not seeing how the average woman is going to know that Star Trek is a bit light on women in speaking roles. Are you suggesting that women should check the cast list of every movie before going? Or obtaining a copy of the script online and counting the lines of each character. I don't see it as a realisitic solution compared to lobbying the writers and producers.

16. BillJ

Thanks for adding more information to the debate, Harvey. :techman:

17. Pauln6

Kudos. And governments were influenced by lobbying.

18. BillJ

Women are just like men. Some are smart, some aren't. Some are confident, some aren't. Some are assholes, some aren't.

You tell my wife she needs a man to fight her battles for her and she'll punch you in the mouth.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because they were all killed!!!! :scream:

Typical Hollywood!!! ;)

20. BillJ

This is the age of instantaneous communication and the information isn't hard at all to come by. If it's important, then it should be worth the effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.