star trek into darkness action figures?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by sonak, Mar 23, 2013.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not surprised that no one is really bothering with toys for STID. Toy sales have been going down the drain over the last few years as video games get more of the target demo. If cartoons can't depend on toy sales to stay alive these days, there's no real benefit to putting out lots of action figures if they're gonna wind up at Big Lots in a few months. Paramount is probably putting a lot more weight on the video game.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Toys are going the route of comic books in that they're becoming more and more a luxury item for a steadily dwindling customer base. Toys are already having a hard time competing with video games, but prices have skyrocketed in recent years to the point where the average 3.75-inch action figure these days is about 10 bucks in most retail stores.

But I think even big toy companies like Hasbro and Mattel realize they can't survive on the collector's market alone, so they've been recently introducing more affordable 3.75 superhero action figures (with simpler articulation) in the 6 dollar range. Hasbro could have done this with a Star Trek XII line, but they may be using Star Trek to push their Kre-O line, which has been generally unnoticed until now.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Diamond Select Toys doesn't have a JJ-Trek license. (It's a separate license from the pre-2009 Star Trek.)

4. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bought figures from the 2009 line and was looking forward to purchasing some from this film. I hope they put out /something/. At least the main crew and Harrison.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Something tells me its not going to be a secret for much longer after the most recent trailer came out.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The Kre-O stuff is already out in some stores, but that looks like it as far as figures go, since no other kind of figures have been announced.
    http://www.dadsbigplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/star-trek-kre-o-construction-sets.jpg

Agreed. It probably should be reaching stores fairly soon, now that the movie's only a month away now.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, after seeing the figures from the last movie sit on the shelf for months and months, I'm not really surprised there won't be any this time.

Shame Playmates isn't making them anymore, because I think their old cartoony style would have been a MUCH bigger hit than what's being produced now-- not only with kids but with collectors like me as well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  8. rafterman1701

rafterman1701 Commodore Commodore

Trek toys have never been great toys nor have they sold very well. KRE-O is like LEGO in that it can sit on shelves after a movie is long gone. Movie based action figures can die very quickly once a film hits. Star Wars is an exception. To me the problem is that Trek needs good 3 and 3/4 figures like the Marvel, Star Wars and GI Joe lines. But they always get crappy 6 inch figures. At 6 inches, they have to be very well articulated to appeal to collectors.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Collectors who leave them mint-in-pack and don't ever use the articulation. :guffaw:

10. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hanging out for more STXII Into Darkness merch.

Perhaps there will be a late burst of action figures / toys further down the line... (fingers crossed!)

Personally speaking: I would like to see Playmates / DST sized starship with lights n sound of the new Dreadnaught adversary ship - that would be awesome!!!!

If not, then I may have to settle for a HW version - which I'm also keen to acquire, when available...

:) So glad I picked up the XI starship by Playmates, and both scaled HWs versions, and also the DVD special ed DVD-holder replica - when they became available!

11. davidl28

davidl28 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I predict Star Trek ID will be forgotton pretty quickly and won't be the "hit" as Star Trek 2009

agree ?

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

13. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Um, no. I think it's pretty clear from the buzz that this film is going to be even bigger than the 2009 film - it's going to be "The Dark Knight" to "Batman Begins" basically.

Come back in a few months and we'll all celebrate how successful the movie is (well, we'll still have some complaining that it's not real Trek because it has a woman in her bra and panties visible etc, but the rest of us will just celebrate what a blockbuster, entertaining, well-scripted and acted movie this was).

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

It'll do well here in the States, but I think the international market will dictate whether this is another The Dark Knight or if it ends up with numbers similar but slightly above Star Trek 2009.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nah, I don't agree at all. I think this movie has such goodwill from the first one along with the the very enticing trailers, that even if it was pummeled by bad word of mouth (which I think is extremely unlikely) that it would still rack in enough to top the last movie

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I predict that your prediction will be as accurate as a Jeane Dixon one. IOW, not very likely.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I still see Avengers action figures being sold for full price right next to the new "Iron Man 3" toys. That Avengers movie must have been quite popular! ;)

18. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, basically, you're predicting ID will be the top-grossing Star Trek movie ever.

I mean, given that 2009 grossed nearly three times what the next-most-successful Star Trek movie (TMP) did.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Adjusted for inflation, TMP and 2009 are pretty close. But, international markets will dictate whether the new film is a mega-hit or not.

And while TWOK didn't do mega-business, it did make eight times its production budget, which no other Trek outing has come close too.

20. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...and the overseas market numbers are so far coming in stronger than 2009, too. By about 70%.