The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@OdoWan are those the Kai figures?

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

They are indeed. I got them for $30 a piece at my LCS's Memorial Day 50% off sale. I've always wanted to pick up some figures from them, but the cost has been a bit prohibitive. Now the flood gates are opened, though, and I'll probably wind up with more in the near future. :lol:

3. Admiral_Young

That's impressive...they look better "in person" than they did on BTTS. "The Dark Knight "/"The Dark Knight Rises" in particular looks awesome.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Those Toys 'R' Us-exclusive Batman(Nolan) three-packs with one Dark Knight figure from each film seems to linger, at least at my store. They look pretty good, but it seems it's not as hot an exclusive item as some probably thought it'd be.

Still, I'm pretty sure TRU and Mattel have made some money off that set since it's largely straight repacks in new packaging.

5. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, those sets are really in abundance. It's really a collector aimed set, though. Most parents will look at it and say "what do you need three Batmans for?" It's a nice set, though, and while mostly reuse, each figure does have something new about it to entice a purchase.

6. cooleddie74

See, this is how you do straight repacks of older figures. Make them a store exclusive so they don't pile up in every conceivable retail outlet from Maine to California and use some of the best molds you have in your vault. While Mattel is a toy company that I've never been too impressed with when it comes to action figures their Dark Knight Trilogy three-pack set was a better idea for a straight repack of older product than some I've seen come out of other companies for other film franchises in the recent past.

Plus, Batman's always hot with somebody somewhere even if they're six years old.

7. Admiral_Young

I still want to get that three pack. Especially for the "Batman Begins" Batman suit.

8. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

I've not gotten to start building the modelship yet. But I will post a pic when i'm done!! Will be fun!

Oh.. And the plushie crocodile isn't mine.. that one belongs to my dog.

9. BennieGamali

oh.. oh I want those ST action figures

10. cooleddie74

I want that brand new Star Trek Visual Dictionary! I need to go pick up a copy if they've started showing up at the local booksellers.

11. BennieGamali

It's got a lot of nice pictures and stuff. I would have liked one that was pure TOS or TNG though. Or.. more like.. I would like one of each of those.

12. cooleddie74

The numerous and different Star Wars Visual Dictionaries published by the same company are always a lot of informative fun. If the Trek version is similar then I can't wait to take a look at it.

13. OdoWanKenobi

It's not quite straight repack, though. The TDK version has a new head, and a cloth cape. The TDKR version has a new head and accessory.

As much as I may complain about certain things Mattel does, DC Universe is still one of my favorite lines ever. There has never been, and probably never will be again a more comprehensive line of DC figures. Not to mention the excellent sculpts, and the high level of articulation. They really did hit a home run with this one. It's earned its place in the pantheon of great toy lines in history.

14. cooleddie74

You're right, I had forgotten that two of the figures in that set contained some new parts. Still, there are so many recycled components and materials in that three-pack that the whole set seemed like a bit of a win-win for Mattel. Even if they didn't have runaway blockbuster sales they'd probably recoup their investment in the set and maybe a little bit more than that.

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

There should be a Carl Spock figurine!

16. cooleddie74

Damn straight, bro.

17. Admiral_Young

^ The Star Trek Visual Dictionary (to temporary go off topic) is pretty awesome and well worth picking up, especially if you're a fan of their Star Wars DK books. It should be noted that this is one of their "Visual Dictonaries" which is different from their Visual Guides and not as in depth, but it covers the entire series and films from the "Prime Universe" and does a really great job of doing it. I am hoping the sales for this merit doing a JJ Trek one, or Visual Guides. I've been waiting for one of these forever, and still can't quite believe we finally got one.

18. cooleddie74

The Guides and Dictionaries published by DK are amazing. I imagine if they did an extra-thick, even more detailed Trek Guide or Dictionary along the lines of the most recent hardback Star Wars Dictionary it would be one of the most informative and detailed Trek books ever published. The Trek universe is even bigger and more detailed than the Lucas galaxy so they could create a huge volume if they set their minds to it and wanted to publish one.

19. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a high quality Adam West Batman figure out there?

20. cooleddie74

Just posted online:

An ad from the newest issue of Previews World Magazine showing the upcoming 3.75" line of Black Series action figures from Hasbro. These are now up for order.

[​IMG]

"Available only in the United States, Canada and U.S. Territories"? I hope this doesn't mean that the overseas market is getting stiffed on the all-new figure line, because that'd be an even bigger middle finger than the 2013 Clone Wars and Movie Heroes stuff not being sold at American retail. There are probably a lot of international collectors who are looking forward to seeing these in their stores.

And I hope this $14.99 pricepoint is just for ordering, not the suggested brick-and-mortar retail price once these figures hit towards the end of summer. I'm guessing retail will be closer to $9.99, but with Hasbro you just never know.