Female Doctor Poll!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by bryce, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Would you be okay with a female Doctor?

1. I am okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's gender could be Wibbley-Wobbly!)

56.1%
  2. I would not be okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's maleness is a Fixed Point!)

32.5%
  3. I don't really have any strong feelings either way. (Fish-fingers and Custard!)

11.4%
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Catherine Tate as the Doctor. I'd watch the shit out of that.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would have been a fantastic last scene for the final episode of the Office.

Nellie takes a chameleon arch pocket watch out of her pocket, looks at it gingerly, then sticks it back where it was.

So what was going to happen to all those Dalek/Human/Timelord Hybrids if they hadn't died in the Dalek's take Manhattan?

If they were going to be fine, wouldn't that mean that all Donna needed was a little Dalek DNA inside her?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

1. And a female Doctor would be nothing but a gimmick, of course.

2. Apparently, you really do have to work your hate for RTD into anything.

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to cast my vote in the poll until the mixed-up options are straightened-out, but I'd be absolutely fine with a female Doctor, a black Doctor, a female black Doctor, or whatever, as long as it's done with honesty and dignity.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'd be fine with a Female Doctor. I was excited to find one of the Doctor Who Unbound Audios was a female Doctor, and couldn't wait to listen to it (Sadly, the story wasn't to my taste, it seemed like it was almost nothing more than an hour of belching and barfing)

5. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I've swapped them. :)

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I've no problem with a female Doctor. Male, female, it should go to the actor or actress that does that best with the part.

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I said that I'm okay with a female Doctor since it's a public poll.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I’ve voted I don’t really have any strong feelings either way, though this isn’t quite where I sit. Ideally I think the Doctor should remain a man, however I’m not completely intransient in this view. As diankra says it really comes down to if someone can play the part.

Get the right actress who’s given the material and I think it’ll work just fine. What I don’t want is for it to be done for the sake of it. As Matt Smith just stood out in the audition process, if Olivia Colman or Nicola Walker or whoever did likewise during the audition process then I’d rather they got the job than be overlooked just because they’re in a skirt. But, and a big but, I don’t want the best candidate to be overlooked because they aren’t in a skirt either!

The same is true and ethnicity and age too.

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the idea. I think it would re-energize Doctor Who and open up a new realm of story telling possibilities.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be fine with it assuming they cast a suitable actor (which they always do so there's no problem there). You'd have a bunch of jokes in the first episode, many of which would fall flat, but then the show would carry on as normal.

There wouldn't really be much of a difference.

11. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I don't want a female Doctor.

If you want a female Doctor, you have to have a female James Bond too.

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

A female Doctor will really irritate and annoy people who deserve to be really irritated and annoyed, so I am in favour of it.

13. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

Precisely. For the first episode or two, it would be a gag, and then the show would just go on as it did before. I would only like to add that, if anything, the show could improve as a result of this casting, because they could no longer rely on the whole "hot female companion stares longingly at and falls in love with quirky male hero Doctor" thing I've gotten so sick of.

Oh, and someone up thread, who clearly hasn't examined their own opinions in a while, claims that casting a woman in the lead role would be an "anti-intellectual gimmick." I suppose the all-black Wizard of Oz, The Wiz, was also a gimmick? As was casting Judy Dench as M, and Avery Brooks as the lead on a Star Trek show. All these damned gimmicks - I wish Hollywood would just drop all that politically correct "social responsibility" crap and just get back to the normal day-to-day business of furthering the hegemony of the white male. I mean, jeez. It's just entertainment, for God's sake. (Is there an irony icon?)

14. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

Part of the James Bond brand is its inherent sexism. It prides itself on it. James Bond has spent decades having sex with women and then killing them. It has naked dancing girls over the theme music. Are you arguing that a central part of Doctor Who's charm, like that of the James Bond brand, is its sexism? If so, please do make that explicit.

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

No, I don't. For starters, Bond can't regenerate, he can only change actors. They had to reboot the series just to make him blond.
    Besides, with Bond, it's an important part of the character to be a male chauvinist and ladykiller. He's basically a male adolescent power fantasy. It's who and what he is. The Doctor, on the other hand, has been asexual in most of his incarnations, he's definitely no ladykiller, and I actually find no character trait of him that defines him as a particularly male character.

Last, but not least, James is a really stupid name for a woman. :p

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are a disproportionate amount of Doctor Who fans that want Doctor Who to be camp, frothy, meaningless light-entertainment. Hence genuinely serious suggestions from fans on this forum so far that Catherine Tate or Emma Watson should play The Doctor. Actors that have showed absolutely no ability to convincingly portray an alien, outcast scientist.

No other show I follow has this type of fandom. I bet nobody in the Game of Thrones thread is demanding that we get a Lionel Richie cameo or whatever. I want Doctor Who to move far away from being tabloid fodder, and The Doctor growing tits is a very crass, shallow example of that culture. I don't think Doctor Who should cater to the Heat Magazine crowd, but aim for a more intelligent audience. I strongly expect that all those passionately demanding Emma Watson or whoever play The Doctor, would regret it very quickly and spend the next 3 years wanting the character to be taken seriously again.

My two pence.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But people have suggested woman who could convinsingly play a scientist...I do hope you're not suggesting that women just can't be scientists?

Anyway there are equally wrong suggestions of some male actors for the role too.

18. Shazam!

That's a fairly specific pre-requisite.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The NEW Doctor meets Jack.

"So? WhaTTTTaya think?"

"Meh? I preferred you as a man."

Sexually would a female Doctor now be considered a lesbian, or has "he" always been checking out the blokes the whole time?

20. Shazam!

In a show in which the main character has been established as being able to change EVERY CELL IN HIS BODY he could come back as a rabbit for all I care.