The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by backstept, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know they're bandits. It's just funny though how it happened. Figured it would be better recounting it that way :) It made me laugh when I encountered it.

Anyway, has anyone seen this?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5K09mqwZc[/yt]

2. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

That's not a bug, it's a feature!

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I think that guy is the same one who did a violin cover of the Game of Thrones theme, which was also awesome.

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I think it's safe to say I've grown bored with this game. I'm on my second playthrough, and now, knowing how absurd the character levelling system is and how to use it, I'm at the same level I was when I restarted, but with half the locations discovered and quests done.

I've got combat at very hard/expert and I'm one or two shot killing pretty much everything except dragons. And that's without weapons made using the fortify restoration potion exploit. I actually made myself two weapons that way this evening and it made combat so stupid easy I tossed them away.

The game has a lot going for it but the character skills and levelling leave much to be desired.

5. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

How many hours of gameplay did you get out of your first playthrough?

6. Owain Taggart

Yeah, it is. His Game of Thrones cover is available on the sidebar when you go to Youtube.

7. Winterwind

No clue. I never check that. I picked it up the day it came out and it was a week before Christmas when I started the new one. So five weeks worth I guess. Level 66 both times, the second in half the time. If it was summer right now, I wouldn't be playing it at all.

8. Owain Taggart

Btw, there was something familiar in the Skyrim theme to me as I felt I had heard it before. Sure enough, it uses the Morrowind main theme in large part. Oblivion even uses part of it in its theme, and it seems like they're using it as a common theme to represent the Elder Scrolls series. The Morrowind version of the theme has a much slower sweeping feel to it, with the Skyrim version sped up with a tribal feel to it. Jeremy Soule does the soundtrack for all 3.

You can see what I mean with this medley:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adlIBRAy6uM[/yt]

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Wow, no kidding. :p ;)

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I thought that was common knowledge.

11. Owain Taggart

Well, it's news to me. I never realized there was a common theme running through them until I decided to investigate when I found the Skyrim theme familiar. I've never seen them explicitly point out the "Elder Scrolls" theme, only the individual themes for each game.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just picked it up last week and am currently a lvl 18 redguard and at the college of winterhold. I plan to sink a lot of hiurs into this game for sure, but I'm not sure if it deserves GOTY over Batman Arkham City or Uncharted 3. I'll keep playing and maybe i'll change my mind.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just started playing this on Sunday and I'm already ten hours in! Very addictive! It plays exactly the same as Fallout 3, minus the VATS system.

I'm surprised the FAQs online don't cover all the quests yet... this game is several months old now. But the amount of content is just amazingly huge. How did they fit this all on one disc?!

I picked a magic type character but the magic is incredibly weak... I'm usually forced to hack away with my sword instead.

14. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ah, thanks! Perfect! I lost the guy in the crypt when the necromancer summoned all those zombies. I ran and hide in the room while he died because I didn't know what to do :lol:

16. Owain Taggart

Has anyone experienced two dragons at the same time? This weekend I was hanging around one of the towns when it gets attacked by not one, but two dragons, each taking turns swooping down and attacking, one of them a regular dragon and the other being a blood dragon. Funny thing is, I was doing a quest at the time and one of the dragons killed one of my quest targets I was supposed to kill anyway. It was freakin epic. Took a good while to get them both killed, even with the whole town on them.

17. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yep, that happened to me a couple of times.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Do dragons just appear randomly? I haven't seen one yet outside of the story mission where it attacks Dragonskeep (I finished getting the monastery and learning a Shout).

19. Winterwind

Some do, yes.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

One time when I was walking towards a location I saw one high in the sky circling around, calling out... it was quite beautiful. It didn't attack or anything, it was just hanging out up there.