Independence Day (Discussion/Grading)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Oct 18, 2009.

?

Rate ID4

1. Excellent

27 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. Above Average

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Bad

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Considering that ID4 is on TBS right now I decided to bring up a discussion thread for it.

This isn't the first time that I have watched it, I originally saw it on July 4th back in '99 I think, but I've seen it at least 5 times now. Of all of the films that I have watched, it is one of the few films that I enjoy every time I see it.
    Even though it gets a lot of flak from critics, I believe it is one of the best films of the 90s, right alongside Stargate, Jurassic Park, and Men in Black.
    What are the opinions of other members here?

Also you can tell it was intended to be a sequel to Stargate by the design of the ships and aliens, as well as the score. Especially near the end when Will's character is in the crashed ship approaching the mothership, it sounds distinctly Stargatey.

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It's definitely an entertaining and enjoyable film. And there's no arguing its popular success. But "Best of the 90s"? I don't think I'd quite go that far. Braveheart, Shawshank Redemption and Truman Show immediately spring to mind as superior 90s films (and I'm sure I'm leaving a fair few out).

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

ID4 is a ridiculous piece of LCD entertainment but I love it dammit! It's a cherished childhood memory warts and all.

4. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved that movie. Fun to watch, beginning to end.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A fair few? Oh, Gods, yes.

On the subject of Independence Day, I'll give it an excellent. It's exactly what it promises to be--a throwback to the disaster movies of the 70s, a throwback to the alien invasion movies of the 50s, and a throwback to big ensemble movies that aren't made any longer. It works on all three accounts, so ignoring any deeper analysis of a film that doesn't try to be anything other than shallow fun, I'll leave it at that.

6. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Exploitive, manipulative trash. But enough about THE TRUMAN SHOW...

ID4 was fun for its time. But I have no desire to rewatch it in the forseeable future.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ID4 is one of those movies that most people loved when it came out, then somewhere along the way it became "cool" to hate it, now it seems that it's become cool to admit that you liked it all along.

I love it. It's a big, dumb, action-y, roller coaster movie and doesn't pretend otherwise.

8. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

ID4 is a movie that does exactly what the director and producers set out to do. So if you rate movies by how well that criteria is achieved, then I would give it an excellent. You cannot fault a movie that has over the top acting and unbelievable plot points when they were going for over the top acting and unbelievable plot points. So to rate it's acting to films that had Oscar caliber acting is like comparing your average Picasso to works of classic realism. Or judging a professional jewel thief on how well he follows the law. He may suck as a law abiding citizen, but he's a fantastic thief.

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, fun to watch, but not a brain in its head. Great effects, yadda yadda.
    Definitely not gonna go down in film history, though.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Excellent.

One of the best "popcorn movies" of all-time.

Ridiculous and fun as all hell.

"What do you expect us to do?"

"Diiiiiiieeeeeeeee!"

:techman:

:lol:

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

A grade B from a B movie. :)

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I always thought it was great fun - I'll give it an "excellent"

Nowhere near "best movie of the 90s" though. That'd be Carlito's Way

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's excellent. ethnocentric American jingoistic popcorn nonsense. but excellent nonetheless.

14. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I gave it an average. I watch whenever it's on (and I have the DVD), but I wouldn't rate it among the best (in any decade). It's just standard-issue fun.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

ID4 falls directly into the "It's so bad that its actually good" category so you can't judge it with one poll.

If it would be judged as a movie alone it would have to be near the bottom.. bad acting, cringe inducing scenes, plotholes galore..

However it's the perfect movie to get together, have a few beers and nachos and laugh at the stupid one liners, bad acting and bad plot.. kind of like most Emmerich and Michael Bay movies.

16. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome and epic movie with a good cast and plenty of humor and action and is just incredibly fun to watch. One of my top favorite films, and I have the movie on DVD as well.

"Welcome to Earth" :devil:

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely agreed with both of you. It is a perfect gem of a movie; delivering exactly what it intends. I love it. It ain't great art, but it IS great entertainment. :cool:

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

It still grabs my attention even today. That in itself makes it a good movie in my books. :bolian:

19. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

IMO, ID4 is the direct descendant from the plethora of B Sci-Fi stories of he 50's. You know the type; Zontar, the thing from Venus, The Blob, etc. If you look at it in that respect, it's a fun romp and an enjoyable show.

If you're looking for major character development and a thought-provoking story, there are other offerings that have those. :)

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep.