Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

I'd like to ask that STID vs TWOK not be played out in this thread, thanks. There's a whole forum for that! :techman:

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

I'll second that. Try to keep the "Abrams ruined Trek" comments in other threads. We have more than enough Lucas-oriented geekwank to discuss. :)

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about STID vs. Grown Ups 2 then? :p

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

About that Caedus rumor; it's total BS.

We've known from the beginning that the story is 100% original and is not going to be drawing on or adapting any story arc(s) from the existing EU material.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While they'll clearly be doing their own story with no regard to the EU... it's entirely possible they'll decide to have one of the Solo/Skywalker kids turn evil. :) It's the most obvious direction to go with the story. Abrams loves character drama and tension; isn't it better to have a family villain than some external character with no emotional connection to our characters?

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. It's the most logical / emotional way to make the story a compelling drama. Also, for one of the solo children to make the very same mistakes their grandfather made in turning to the dark side is right out of Shakespeare.

7. cooleddie74

I wouldn't go so far as to say they'd write the scripts with "no regard" to the EU. Just because the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe will be largely jettisoned or heavily overhauled doesn't mean that elements won't be affectionately inserted and some ideas won't get used, albeit in altered form to reflect the "new" history following the victory at Endor.

We could still see the Solo Twins, Ben Skywalker or Grand Admiral Thrawn surface. Just because the books themselves and the rigid sequence of events they've depicted will no longer be adhered to doesn't mean we won't see some of the characters plucked out, tweaked and dropped into the new scripts to play out an all-new sequence of events.

8. DigificWriter

IF they use anything from the EU, it will probably be names only, so if we WERE to get characters named Jacen, Jaina, Ben, etc., the chances are highly likely that they would have completely original backhistories and characterization completely separate from the EU.

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think Abrams or Lawrence Kasdan [who is actually writing the script] will follow the EU exactly, but having one of the Solo children turn to the dark side IMO is a very compelling storyline.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

A Solo kid going dakr would be pretty handy. They wouldn't even have to pick a new Sith name as "Darth Solo" sounds pretty spiffy.

My guess is that the only element brought over from the EU will be Lando bringing hot chocolate into the known galaxy.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So basically what happened in The Clone Wars? I could definitely see that happening.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Really? After the whole thing with Anakin's fall and redemption, going back and basically doing the same thing all over again with his grandson just seems redundant to me.

Indeed, endless repetition was one of the main reasons I stopped reading EU novels after a while.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Or it could suck. The writers of the Legacy of the Force novels sure proved that.

15. DigificWriter

The Kasdan/Abrams script is based on the Arndt script, which was based on story ideas directly from Lucas, which further supports the statement about the film's story being completely 100% original and not based on anything from the EU.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not though. From all accounts they threw out everything that Arndt developed (with Lucas) and started from scratch reportedly because Abrams wanted a Leia/Luke/Han movie instead of one about the new generation of characters (which was the original idea Lucas had).

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As far as I can tell "all accounts" are in fact nothing but third hand rumours and wildly embellished speculation. All we know is that Abrams is taking a pass at the script. We have no idea what was in it initially, nor what he is and is not changing.

It's all idle speculation at this point.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Or just use digital magic.

20. cooleddie74

Most of the Wookiees seen in the Battle of Kashyyyk in Episode III were digital, so I don't think augmenting Peter Mayhew's physically limited performance with some CGI in necessary spots would be any big deal for the producers. Even Artoo and Threepio were rendered as completely digital characters in certain scenes of the Prequel Trilogy.