top ten hip hop albums of all time?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Nerdius Maximus, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Public Enemy: It takes a nation of millions...
    [​IMG]

Ice Cube: Amerikkka's most wanted
    [​IMG]

EPMD: Strictly Business
    [​IMG]

Dr. Dre: The Chronic
    [​IMG]

Beastie Boys: License to Ill
    [​IMG]

NWA: Straight outta compton
    [​IMG]

LL Cool J: Radio
    [​IMG]

Slick Rick: The Great adventures of Slick Rick
    [​IMG]

Wu-tang Clan: Enter the Wu-tang(36 chambers)
    [​IMG]

Eric B & Rakim: Follow the Leader
    [​IMG]

2. comicbookwriter

comicbookwriter Captain Captain

Wow, someone on TrekBBS actually knows something about music other than punk rock, indie rock, or brit-pop? :cardie: :wtf::wtf:

This is truly a day for the ages.

I love rock too, but the average conversation about hip-hop on this board usually goes south rather quickly because everyone seems to lump all hip-hop in with gangsta rap (that would be the same as lumping all rock in with death metal, and this makes no sense considering there is as much difference between Alice Cooper -- 70s version -- and Warrant or G'n'R as there is a difference between Dr. Dre/N.W.A. and A Tribe Called Quest, for those who know about both groups).

This list is pretty good, but I would also have put in:

ILLMATIC -- Nas' 1st album

LOW END THEORY -- A Tribe Called Quest 2nd album

DE LA SOUL IS DEAD -- De La Soul 2nd album

ME AGAINST THE WORLD -- Tupac Shakur's 3rd album

READY TO DIE -- Biggie's 1st album

3. Nerdius Maximus

I might also have included some early ice-t, like Rhyme Pays. Shit, I forgot about Run-DMC! Raising Hell is awesome. But yeah, my musical tastes are pretty diverse.
    As far as 2pac's third album goes, I prefer his later, more thugged-out shit, but Me Against the World is definitely a classic.

4. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Actually, I think this comment is a bit unfair. There are actually a fair number of folks around here who listen to and know alot about classical music, country music, current mainstream rock, and classic rock as well. IMO, we are not nearly as narrow as you imply.

There is a rather wide variety of musical interests around here, actually. In fact, I'd guess that the demographics of the population at TrekBBS fall pretty much in line with the musical demographics of the population as a whole. You have a fair number of older posters here, for example - posters over 40. Maybe TrekBBSers over forty don't listen to hip hop...but then, most people over forty out in the general population don't listen to hip hop either.

In other words, you can't expect people here to defy the demographics.

However, it doesn't make us lacking in interest, imagination, or willingness to try new things. It just makes us willing to try DIFFERENT 'new things' than what you apparently prefer.

Shoot...not 4 months ago, I myself was introduced to a band on this very board which I had never heard before, but which is now one of my favorite bands ever. Because I live in the southern portion of the U.S. and this band is really only big in Canada, I might never have heard of them at all if it wasn't for this board. And here I am, 4 months and about 15 albums later, just NUTS for this band.

Bottom line - there is a tremendous amount of knowledge around here, and people ARE willing to try new things and give stuff a chance. It just might not be according to your personal tastes. ;)

5. comicbookwriter

I get your point and I agree with your statement overall. However, I wasn't saying that people should or need to be willing to learn more about hip-hop. I guess I was more referring to previous experiences on this board where people had such a harsh and negative reaction to the notion that not all hip-hop is equivalent to gangsta rap.

There were folks on BBS who literally believed that there is no content diversity to hip-hop. I was very frustrated by giving people info on albums and specific songs that they would never check out to see that I wasn't making it all up.

I guess when you speak of demographics, I am not at all surprised by the choices in music from the board. It does reflect the general trends of American pop culture and society. But the vehement opposition to the concept that all hip-hop is not the same was somewhat bewildering to me. It was as if people's conception of the genre was integral to their view of the world, vis a vis, their views of the blacks and latinos who created the genre.

CBW

6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not gonna list purely american classic hip hop cause I don't have 10 albums of that, but my list accommodating variations (including British) of hip hop would be:

Snoop - Doggystyle
    De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
    Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5 LP
    Stereo MCs - Connected
    The Herbaliser - Remedies
    Red Snapper - Reeled and Skinned
    The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
    Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
    Tricky - Maxinquaye
    Beastie Boys - License to Ill

7. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

In no order, my picks would be:

1) Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers -- Wu-Tang Clan

2) Paul's Boutique -- Beastie Boys

3) Run-D.M.C. -- Run-D.M.C.

4) All Eyez on Me -- 2Pac

5) The Chronic -- Dr. Dre

6) De La Soul Is Dead -- De La Soul

7) Ready to Die -- The Notorious B.I.G.

8) Illmatic -- Nas

9) It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back -- Public Enemy

10) Cypress Hill -- Cypress Hill

8. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

:confused:

That attitude makes no sense to me.

And I say that, not as someone who enjoys hip-hop in all its diversity, but as someone whose taste in this genre is pretty much confined to early-90s gangsta rap. I got turned on to that particular style and era by playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

I may not listen to other styles, but I'm aware they exist, and that people listen to them: they just don't do much for me, personally. To deny their existence makes no sense to me at all.

With that in mind--I definitely agree with at least three of the choices on the OP's list: Public Enemy, Dr. Dre, and NWA.

(Though the 'bonus track' on the CD of The Chronic almost ruined the whole album for me. What the hell was Dre thinking? I've never listened to that song again, after the first time.)

Personally, I would add Ice-T's Freedom of Speech...Just Watch What You Say.

And speaking just for myself, I would add one of Cypress Hill's first four albums. Doesn't matter which one--they're all pretty much the same. ;) If I had to choose, I would probably pick IV. They went downhill pretty quickly after that one.

With that, I've probably revealed just how limited my taste in rap really is.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I wouldn't necessarily try and say they're the best hip hop albums every, but I've been enjoying Immortal Techniques Revolutionary, and 3rd World albums lately. Plus a few random German ones I downloaded off We7, one called Das Beste just seemed to grab me for some reason, even though I have no clue what's being said.

Also, he won't be to everyone's tastes, but Plan B's Who Needs Actions When You've Got Words, and Paint It Blacker, while disturbing are very good, in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  10. comicbookwriter

And now you see how I felt when I first got that attitude thrown at me a few years back.

I was over in the MISC. forum and we had some discussion of recent albums. IIRC, someone had mentioned a new rap album and it started a discussion of how "hip-hop wasn't real music" and then it turned into a critique of lyrical content.

Before it was over, the general vibe turned into "rap sucks, its just cursing and sexism and rock is perfect." Despite giving numerous examples of groups and songs that represented other sides to the genre, the folks there refused to believe it.

CBW

11. Bob The Skutter

Yeah, I find those sorts of posts annoying. It's pretty obvious they've paid no attention to nothing other than what hits the charts and gets airplay on mainstream radio and MTV type channels, and if you do that with any genre of music, you're bound to get plenty of rubbish.

12. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's actually pretty good. I'd throw some Biggie and 2Pac in there and drop The Beastie Boys, but that's just me.

13. Nerdius Maximus

Paul's Botique is tragically underrated. The beats alone are a work of genius. I should have found a way to fit some BDP in there, too.

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking as an old geezer who's definately not a rap fan, its a bit unfair to expect us to want to spend a whole lot of time and money tracking down 'good' examples when pretty much all thats promoted to us are the bitches shaking their asses in the camera, and punks covered in blink flashing fistfuls of $100 bills and rapping about what bad-asses they are on MTV and BET.

Or maybe I'm just showing my age.

15. Nerdius Maximus

That's cool. I just tossed this thread out there to see if there were any hip hop fans on the board.

16. comicbookwriter

But just that's my point. Its not that I expect you to DO anything, I am just saying that what's promoted is actually not at all reflective of the culture as a whole or even in part.

However, it has nothing to do with age as much as just enough wisdom to know that while something might not be your "cup of tea" it doesn't make it bad or invalid.

I am 34 years old and I grew up listening to this stuff and I can tell you that the majority of the fans of the first generation or "old school" hip-hop are as appalled as those who don't know anything about it.

I hate all these new school acts that are nothing more than pawns of record execs and producers who want to make the quickest buck imaginable.

Bottom line, if you're not a fan, you're not a fan, but if you have an open enough mind and some free time, I can recommend some quality stuff to you that might surprise you.

CBW

17. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Just listen to the discs people are suggesting in this thread. Problem solved.

Or, play GTA: San Andreas and keep your car radio tuned to Radio Los Santos.

That worked for this old geezer.

18. Bob The Skutter

You don't even had to spend any money if you want to check out some of these albums. We7.com has a few of them to stream for free (ad funded).

19. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

It still sounds almost brand new today. That's what I love about it. I remember I bought the vinyl back in 1989. As I heard it, it never even occured to me that it was vastly different from LTI or something highly innovative. I just knew that I really dug it.

20. Bob The Skutter

Anyone else like Riz MC? I first heard of him after he was in Road To Guantanamo, but I've really liked every song I've heard of his since.