Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering how blandly the bad boy of the series, Tom Paris, was written I doubt he would have been any different.

2. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Infinite Regress: An interesting episode with some good bits. It was fun to see Jeri Ryan take on so many different personalities. I also really liked the scenes in her mind towards the end when she was in a mind meld with Tuvok; they were very frightening but effective. I also liked the guest aliens, and I hope that they appear again later in the season.
    6/10

3. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Confused Matthew quite accurately pointed the main problem with this episode - Seven is supposed to be taking on the personalities of individuals assimilated by the Borg. But the writing is absolute horseshit, Seven does not become those various individuals or display their personalities - she's written to just act as complete cliches of each race. Her "Klingon character" is written to what amounts to a caveman, and the "Ferengi" she becomes is just totally cliched Ferengi crap about ears and buying. Its laughably terrible and shallow.

4. teacake

I never liked this episode despite being a huge 7 fan. But then I never liked the Jadzia's past lives episode either. I just find this stuff kind of embarrassing and forced.

5. AdmiralScreed

That's a fair criticism, and one which I would agree with. There's still plenty to redeem it, though, hence my score of 6/10.

6. AdmiralScreed

BTW, You_Will_Fail, I like your new profile picture. Almost makes me miss the first three seasons of Voyager...almost. ;)

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She didn't have the hair for the first three season.

Stupid mushroom princess wig.

It's like there was a daring heist at my wankbank.

"Grumble, grumble."

8. teacake

All her hair looked like crap.

Elf hair, Frampton hair.. it was all horrible.

9. AdmiralScreed

I meant the character, not so much the hair. Although I'll admit I did like her long hair at the end of season 3 much more than her shorter hair.

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

According to interviews, the decision to give her long hair was due to her not wanting to put on the elf ears every day.

Also, Jennifer Lien (like Jolene Blalock) had naturally long hair, and what they wore on the show was a wig.

11. AdmiralScreed

Good idea, I just wish it hadn't taken so long for them to make that change. By the time she got her long hair she only had a handful of episodes left.

12. Guy Gardener

I heard it was an allergic reaction that built up over time.

have you ever seen the Big Lerbowski?

They kept saying...

"That rug really tied the room together."

Of course it was also urinated on by Nihilists, and that might never be my plan for a dream date with Jennifer.

13. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked her long hair way more, although it looked far too wiggy at times. I definitely did miss Kes after her departure, everyone added something to the show for me except Harry. And she was definitely changing as a character at the end of season 3 - more serious.

14. AdmiralScreed

Yeah, I have to wonder how her character would have developed had she stayed on the show. Though with that said, I do like her replacement, 7 of 9, much much more.

15. Guy Gardener

It's not Seven or Kes that you have to consider, but instead Harry or Kes.

Imagine an episode where it's just 40 minutes of Kes and Seven taking turns brushing each others hair, and half one though Kes says to Seven "Do you miss Harry?" To which she replies "Who's Harry?"

16. AdmiralScreed

I'm tempted to say that Harry should have gotten the axe instead of Kes, but then Timeless might not have been nearly as great. Playing a major role in my favorite Voyager episode ever scores him a lot of points with me. Kes, while in general much less unbearable than Kim, never contributed in a major way to my favorite episodes of the series.
    One episode might not seem like a lot, but if it's your favorite episode of the series then it is a pretty big deal (and I am once again referring to Kim in Timeless)

17. tighr

Garrett Wang being cut from the show would not have precluded Timeless from still happening, considering it is a time-travel story.

Hint, hint.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, you just led me to consider the possiblities had Kim been axed...

...only for it to be a Captain Kim rather than an Admiral Janeway who shows up in "Endgame".

19. tighr

Spoilers, dude. Spoilers.

20. AdmiralScreed

I suppose you're right. It would still have to have been tweaked some, but you're right that they probably could have still made it work.