Do you think they could use the Borg in the next movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lance, May 26, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know we think of them as 24th century villains. But to the general public, they're one of Trek's iconic enemies, with no distinction whatsoever between which iterations of Star Trek they came from. And in the eyes of Hollywood bean counters, that kind of instant name recognition can mean a lot.

Truthfully, there's no reason the Abrams-Alterno-Verse needs to adhere to them just being Next Gen enemies. In fact, their appearances in First Contact, and especially in Enterprise, could actually warrant a continuity rewrite. Throw the Borg up against Kirk and crew and see how they deal with 'em.

I'm not necessarily advocating their use. I'd rather have new villains than old ones any day of the week (and that goes for STID too!). But what do you guys think? Is it something that could be feasible? Is it something that would be desirable to a certain section of the fanbase, even? :confused:

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ditch the Uncle Fester make-up and obviously rubber suits, and use CG to replace body parts with machinery. Give them a horror-steampunk look, with some organic machinery. They could be fantastic.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see it that way. I view those appearances as a closed time loop. They were part of history all along. You can't prove that's not the case. ;)

I'm not sure how the Borg could be worked into the Abrams timeline. They are still out in the Delta Quadrant, which is far outside the reach of even the Abramsverse Starfleet.

4. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, of all the 'villains' in the Trek stable, the Borg fit best with the idea that the Enterprise and her crew are a long way from home during the five-year-mission. Maybe wrap up the Borg and the planet-killer into one foe?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or pit them against each other, which was Peter David's intention when he wrote Vendetta.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think whatever they do, they have to go in a different direction than a bad guy with an ax to grind.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It might be interesting to see Science Officer 0718 get a more expanded role in a possible Borg movie.

I wonder if he could be the reason why a Borg contact would happen. Maybe his cybernetic augmentations are a result of research done after the events of Regeneration.

8. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

I would actually love to see that. If the new blockbuster look and feel of the films lend themselves to anything from the original continuity, then it's the Borg. And considering that I've always felt that FC was way too small-scale to do them justice, they should absolutely do this.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Trelane.

10. BillJ

It doesn't have to be the main Collective. It could be an off-shoot formed when a Borg ship went off course and crashed on a planet near Federation space and transformed it.

11. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Why not? They can jump from Earth to Vulcan and Qo'noS in 10 minutes. Why not the deep Beta to Delta quadrants?

12. Agent Richard07

That could work. Since the Borg was brought up weeks ago though, I've always liked the idea of a "Q Who?" adaption with Trelane instead of Q. If anything, his inclusion adds a little more to the mix. I don't know what I'd want to see exactly, but it sounds like something that could be interesting.

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

[Connery]My name is No...Hell No.[/Connery]

14. BillJ

I think it might be a little too similar to Q, Who? if you include Trelane. But I'd still watch it. :techman:

15. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

how big coul be a borg cube in this timeline?

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Please, no Borg. The Borg belong to TNG, first. There's no reason why they can't appear in the TOS world, but out of universe, they're TNG just as Q is.

They also stopped being novel when they had a queen. They went from mindless, relentless, unreasoning, unable to reason with beings who behaved like a plague of locusts to just another baddie led by an evil being. So what's new about that?

The other thing is this would be basically a war movie and more or less a remake of FC (in at least the same vein as those who think STID is just TWOK revisited).

One last point, after the anti-militarization-let-get-back-to-what-Starfleet's-primary-role-is-theme of STID, no big scale shoot-em up wars in III for me, please. Out of universe, it's a little cynical to have a story that says Starfleet is about exploration, so let's end with Kirk reminding folks of that as he starts his five year mission, but in reality, war sells, so -- . I think some kind of good action story can come from another direction and be just as whiz-bang. It only takes imagination.

17. BillJ

A Borg movie could be done as an exploration movie.

18. Agent Richard07

It could also be Trek's take on zombies. The Borg are pretty much zombies aren't they?

19. BillJ

Yup.

That's why I think we may see the Borg next. Zombies sell tickets. :techman:

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose. The mystery of it all and such.

I dunno. In the back of my mind, the notion of the Borg strikes me as a kitschy, Superman-meets-the-Joker kind of thing, too. "Worlds are colliding, Jerry!" It would be as if they rebooted TNG and had Picard go against Khan.

However, they could have a long scene of the Enteprise flying through a Borg cube as an homage to flying through V'ger in TMP. The camera would cut to a close-up of a wide-eyed John Cho, taking it all in. ;) :p