World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could someone who's seen the movie answer a question for me?

I've just watched a few newly released clips linked to in another thread, and wondered about the shuttle launch from the Enterprise.

There didn't seem to be a good look at the shuttle bay; what I saw was a look up at the rear of the Engineering hull, with the bay doors open.

We've wondered about what's being depicted as being in the lower section of the ship now, and I'm wondering if there was a GOOD look at the bay at any point.

If there IS a good look at it, does the shuttle bay appear to be the same size as in previous versions of the 1701? Or at least the same PERCENTAGE of the lower hull? Larger? Smaller?

2. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

^I think the scenes you are referring to are from the USS Kelvin.

I don´t remember seeing the shuttle bay on the Enterprise.

3. gastrof

You're confused.

The Kelvin is destroyed at the time of Kirk's birth.

As mentioned, the shuttle launch is from the Enterprise. You know....the skydive to stop the Romulans? That's why it's said THE ENTERPRISE can't beam them back until the drill is shut down?

I'd still like to hear from anyone who's seen the movie and has read and understood my previous post. Any good glimpses of the shuttle bay?

4. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember it from the scene where the cadets first shuttle into the Enterprise. the only difference to me was that the Kelvin shuttle bay seemed to me to be more spherical than the one on the Enterprise. and yes it's in the lower back section. perhaps a techie who's seen the film might be of further help.

5. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, you are right. I didn´t see the clip before answering, and I didn´t remember that part. But the Kelvin shuttle launch was more powerful emotionally.:)

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I saw the clip too its when they're about to do the sky dive thing to get to Nero's drill.

7. GulDucati

GulDucati Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

By this guy's own definition, he says Star Trek is "a collection of stories, some epic." So it is at least in some cases epic, and yet he says it is not epic? Please, list some more literature/film to impress us more.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Post some more clever thread bombs. I find them amusing.

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

As was mentioned earlier, when the Cadets first board the Enterprise there is a VERY clear shot of the bay and it is much much bigger than the previous Enterprises - perhaps even larger in volume than the Enterprise E's main bay as seen in Nemesis, although certainly not as wide.

I would hazard a guess that the new Enterprise (and the old Kelvin for that matter) could hold 20 shuttles a piece.

I think its also fair to say that the new Enterprise is vastly more compartmentalized than previous incarnations. Namely all crew quarters and living spaces that look remotely nice are in the Saucer Section, where as all the practical stuff which would be in constant need of maintenance and repair is in the Engineering section and as such isnt covered up with nice plastic panels giving the ship a more dynamic feel.

10. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is the one hang up for me. I don't mind small changes, but this is an awfully big one that changes the dynamic of Star Trek completely.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed, although I'm sure that's exactly the point. ;)

What I'm worried about is how this will change Spock's friendship with Kirk. I know Spock is Vulcan, trained to logic, but will he see Kirk as a failure because Kirk and the Enterprise couldn't save Vulcan? I know it was Nero who actually destroyed the planet, but Kirk could have stopped him - and failed. Will Spock hold a grudge against Kirk? The emotional wallop of having your entire race pretty much wiped out could do that to anyone, even Spock.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  12. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

The reboot makes sense to me. Alternate universe means that the current franchise can still exist and spawn stories and/or that the timeline can be righted. If it's true that Old Spock stays in NuTrek universe, then this forms the bridge between the two universes that makes us give a damn in the first place. Just suppose there hadn't been a reboot/alternate universe... OK, we KNOW everything is going to work out predictably, and that everyone is going to be okay... so then why should we even GIVE A DAMN? But it's been established that anything can happen. Nuking Vulcan creates more story potential, IMO. And no, I haven't seen the movie.

13. gastrof

Someone on the TOS board just suggested that JJ should recast T'Pring for a sequel movie.

I made a comment about the hopes of something "unfortunate" happening to her in the new timeline before Spock's Pon Farr, then I realized...

With Vulcan being destroyed, wouldn't it be a SHAME if a certain someone didn't make it off the planet in time? (Throw Stonn in while you're at it, if you like.)

14. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

"Nuking Vulcan" should become a meme for something.
    "You really nuked Vulcan on this one, Mr. Jones. You're fired"

15. Strekrules

Strekrules Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's getting fuzzy already (since those scenes FLY by..) but I think it's a different configuration. The shuttles have doors that "hook up" directly to hallways, so you don't have to walk into a big shuttle bay directly. Once you're ready to lift off, the shuttle drops into the main bay and launches.

The Kelvin had about 15-20 shuttles (used to escape the ship...), so the Enterprise no doubt had the same number.

So yes, I would say the shuttlebay looks quite a bit bigger than the Prime E.

16. mynameisgorn

mynameisgorn Ensign Newbie

Ok, I haven't ventured here before, but I've been forced to. I got the girlfriend on board based solely on the cuteness of baby Spock. But in another thread, there were rumblings that baby Spock didn't make the final cut.

Without baby Spock, there will be hell to pay. Is my relationship over??? ;)

17. Strekrules

I agree. And to quote new Spock "Earth is the only home I have left..."

Also, The Original Star Trek universe is dead. It died with Nemesis. JJ won't be making a TNG film. Ever. So unless CBS makes a direct-to-dvd TNG movie (it's possible...and works for Stargate), or new series based in the TNG-era (or a few years after) I doubt we'll ever see that reality again.

Although I guess that is an ineresting question...if Star Trek (11) takes off, will CBS green light a new series? And if so, when/where would it take place?

18. Strekrules

Hahahaha, You'll have to wait for the DVD.

There's no Baby Spock in the film!

19. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

This is untrue. In fact, it is a largely untapped resource, repository of a million untold stories. I don't think anyone can make money off of them or, at least, doesn't have the talent to tell them profitably. That's fine. There's always fan films and fan fiction and Star Fleet Battles and role playing games.

Old Trek lives on its own regardless of any new franchises. NuTrek is something different, neither good nor bad for being new. It will live or die on its own merits.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Not entirely. He was a character in the Animated Series and he was in the Chronology; some novels, too, I think, but I'm not sure. None of these are canon, of course, but the character isn't just fanon.

I suppose we can consider the Animated Series another Alternate Universe. I wonder if a fan with an eye for detail can spot the Animated U and the Nu U among the little AUs that pop up in "Parallels." :rommie: