Aliens from "Night Terrors"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by GalaxyX, Jun 14, 2013.

1. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was just remembering the aliens from the TNG episode "Night Terrors".

The episode showed us very little of them. We only got to know that they are able to send telepathic messages, and we got a quick glance of their ship at the end (some kind of blue glowing energy ship).

I wish they would have expanded a bit more on those aliens. I'm not sure why they didn't.

I'm guessing they probably wanted to keep that creepy feeling all the way to the end? Maybe revealing more of the aliens would have defeated that? I still feel cheated though :(

2. Blackhorse47

Blackhorse47 Ensign Newbie

Sometimes less is more. I've come across reviews classing that as being a poor episode, but that seems unfair. Troi's floating bits are awful, but the rest is atmospheric and has a real feeling that for once the weirdness is genuinely affecting everyone. They all lumber around with dulled senses and you end up feeling the lethargy.

I'm still glad they didn’t come back to it though. I'm not sure what else they could have done that wouldn’t have ruined the creepy feeling.

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I look on it as a decent episode too. Even Troi didn't annoy me too much

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I think an episode is extremely bad when even one of the actors doesn't defend it:

Jonathan Frakes remarked, "That was a yawner, wasn't it? That was a shitty piece of special effects work when Troi was flying with those cloud around her. That was below our standard".

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Night_Terrors_(episode)#Reception

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eh, it was just made too soon. It would have fit right in in season 7. Aquiel too.

6. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the episode was great.

I still get chills when Beverly sees all the corpses sit up, and it turns out to be a hallucination.

The concept of blocking REM sleep was pretty cool, since naturally it's near impossible to stop it in a normally functioning brain (people that have tried staying awake with stimulants usually get to 3-4 days before the body just doesn't care and goes to REM sleep no matter what)

The only fail was Troi's huge ass sticking out like a sore thumb in the flying scenes. Her pear shaped body sure doesn't help this. I think they should have tried different angles or even a different way of suspending her in mid-air.

Other than that (and the mysterious aliens staying mysterious) the whole episode was pretty cool.

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marina Sirtis has said several times that the huge ass in the flying scenes is not hers. It belongs to her stunt double.

8. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

I wasn't convinced that the aliens were piloting a ship. I thought they traveled through space sans a ship, like the Calamarain and the Crystalline Entity do.

9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love it when Frakes speaks his mind. :lol: