Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I did say 'pics already shown' but these are hi-res versions, which I think is new. I must have overlooked the subway care one.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really want another trailer and for them to bust out some character posters. I want a Gwen Stacy one :)

3. Captaindemotion

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/28/spider-man-still-spinning-solo

More Spidey talke. Kevin Feige confirms that the webslinger will not be teaming up with other teams like The Avengers:

Andrew Garfield moves to reassure those who missed the wise-cracking Spidey of the comics in the Raimi movies:

And Marc Webb talks stunts and SFX:

4. Admiral_Young

Everything I keep reading about this production hasn't disappointed yet.

5. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

6. Admiral_Young

Kind of surprised that they already picked out a release date. This pretty much confirms they're planning a trilogy as was asked before.

7. Captaindemotion

For a minute, I thought that the 2014 release date referred to this movie - couldn't believe it was another 3 years away!

Seems they're confident about this movie doing well enough to warrant a sequel. Then again, it IS Spider-man!

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Sequel or no sequel they line up a date.

Before Green Lantern bombed writers were getting ready for the sequel.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Marvel Studios must be pissed. :lol:

Sure, they'll make some money off of ASM2, but the first weekend of May is supposedly "their" weekend. I figured a sequel to Captain America would be set for that weekend. Oh well, maybe now they can push that back to the weekend of July 4, 2014.

10. Captaindemotion

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

He sure has some nice insights into the character. It's clear a lot more thought is going into ASM than ever went into the Raimi nonsense.

12. Captaindemotion

^ I don't know if that's fair. As someone who's most familiar with Spider-man dfrom the comics of the 1960s and 1970s, I thought Raimi's first two movies captured their spirit and feeling perfectly.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Same here.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

apart from the lack of wisecrackery. or was that a later thing?

15. Captaindemotion

^ I think Raimi and co felt that the wisecracks didn't work onscreen as (a) the mask tended to blunt delivery and (b) they slowed down the action. Maybe Webb and his team can make them work better.

16. Admiral_Young

I think Rami chose to focus on emotional focal points i.e. the relationships Peter Parker has between people in his films more than anything else. We see through all three of Rami's films Peter's connection with his Aunt. With his best friend. With Mary Jane. I think emotional context was very much what Rami managed to capture while some times at the expense of the overall plot and characters. There was rarely any "balance" in his films and it finally caused problems in the third film. That all being said "Spider-Man 2" is my favorite film in the trilogy (like it seems to be for most fans).

I think that Mark Webb is striving for that balance. He's going to explore the emotional core of the character along with the relationships he has with other characters but also not ignoring the plot and tossing in more traditional Spider-Man stuff.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  17. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

That's exactly the problem I had with Raimi's films. The lack of balance between Peter's personal life and his redemptive mission as Spider-Man. Instead they focused almost exclusively on the "romance" between Peter & MJ to the exclusion of almost everything else.

The Raimi Spider flicks were less Spider-Man and more The Many Loves of Dobey Gillis but with webs.

18. Samurai8472

19. Admiral_Young

^ Saw those promo pics earlier today. Still liking the costume. I had a chance to watch "Spider-Man 2" again the other day with my room mates out on the back porch (we have a big screen TV set up out there) and I again believe that Webb is going to bring a much more realistic and gritty take to this story than Rami did. His filming style was to play up the comic book elements a bit almost in some cases to a comedic level. I'm not saying that Webb is going to make this a dark movie at all. I'm just saying that he is going to film this as an actual movie rather than as a comedic comic book film adaption. I'm not explaining myself well at all here. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm looking forward to seeing the more "realistic" filming style. Rami's had that cartoony feel to it in some scenes.

20. Samurai8472

I kind of get what you're saying

-Peter nearly running into his Pizza Boss
    -Over the top Raimi style with the woman screaming
    -Peter and the broom closet

-That skinny girl
    - Mr. Ditkovich: I have ears like a cat! And eyes like a rodent.

-Street performer singing 60's Spider-man song
    -The whole awkward elevator scene.

It wasn't cringe worthy corny like "Batman and Robin" it was just corny hookey stuff.

Judging by the trailer and pictures for the new movie there will be funny moments but it doesn't look lame so far

-Peter catching a fly
    -Peter with a bunch of food piled up.