Star Trek: The Experience

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Britstan, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, kids,

I used to work there back when it first opened to convention week, 2003. It was the coolest gig I ever had. Some of you might have seen me in my other guise as Kralk, son of T'Nek.

Here's a link to another thread I started quite a while back. The photobucket link might not work anymore. I know Vernon is updated the picture quality but you should definitely check out his documentary series on working there and the making of. Fascinating, albeit looooong.

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78222

Here's a link to social site where fans and former employees post plans to link up on trips to Vegas.

http://www.trekspace.org/group/startrektheexperience

I'm glad it sounds like a lot of you had tons of fun. That was always our goal.

Qapla'!

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Went to Vegas in '06, and while the trip itself was marred by some communications difficulties with my friend, the Experience was definitely a highlight. Liked the Klingon ride more than the Borg one, did the Backstage tour which was a lot of fun, had lunch at Quark's, drank a mini Warp Core Breach and was quite happy for several hours afterwards, though I experienced some IDF failures. :)

Some pics available here - http://www.fishslayer.net/Pics/Vegas

3. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved it, loved it, loved it!!! What a great place. I really hope they open a new version down the line, this time with the Classic Trek bridge and a new simulator ride. When you see what the Harry Potter ride can do in Orlando, the mind boggles as to what a Trek one would be like.

4. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

I went three times. First was for the grand opening in 1998, when they had a star-studded red carpet premiere. Second was in 2003, when I spent a week working at a base near Las Vegas :shifty: and got to visit The Experience several times. Then I went back in 2008, the weekend before it closed and took the backstage tour with an awesome tour guide who obviously was full of love for the place and torn up about its closing.

I have nothing but fond memories of the place.

5. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

I visited it a couple of times and enjoyed it. I remember a Ferengi came over while we were eating an appetizer (a stack of onion rings) and was angry to find out that we were splitting them. It is a real shame that it closed, but it had a good run.

6. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ The Holy Rings of Betazed!! :drool: I loved those!!

7. DonIago

Did they ever have a Sacred Chalice of Rixx? :)

8. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

We went to Vegas in 98 specifically to go to ST:TE. It was awesome. I wish we could have gone again, especially for the Borg experience, but never did get to go again. We call it our pilgramage to mecca. I got a little queasy on the ride as i suffer from motion sickness big time! Quarks was great fun. And i bought my beloved jacket that day.

Couple o' pics...i'm the puny human:

[​IMG]

My beloved jacket which was literally worn to shreds:

[​IMG]

9. Kords21

Kords21 Lieutenant Red Shirt

10. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I went in 2007, and got some pics with some of the characters. My boyfriend accidentally erased the pictures and kept saying I'll take you back I promise, but the Experience closed before we could return. After years of therapy, I have finally forgiven him.

11. DonIago

Was he still alive when you pulled him from the trunk of your car? :)

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

My wife and I went several times and absolutely loved the place. The Borg Experience was fun, but the Klingon Ride was more my thing. Loved the shuttle ride. If I remember rightly, the shuttle ride was much more vigorous if you sat at the rear side.

By far the best bit was hanging out in Quarks, trading quips with the actors.

We were back in Vegas in December 2009, and it just wasn't the same without the Experience.

13. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true of all motion-based simulator rides (e.g., Star Tours). The center of rotation for the motion base is generally under the front rows (assuming display equipment forward of that), so for every bit of angular tilt, the end seats on the back row get the greatest degree of travel.

With the visual system being outside the ride vehicle at Klingon Encounter, the center of rotation was probably a bit more toward the rear, but the same principle applies.

14. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: Morning cawfee spew!!!!!

15. borg3060

borg3060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was fortunate to have visited many times, both when the convention was in town and on trips to and through Las Vegas. I LOVED coming off the rides and hearing the the theme from First Contact playing, seeing all the monitors playing clips from thw shows and movies, browsing the shops... I always ordered a Hamborger, a Data's Day, and gaghk for dessert. What made it even more special were the actors-- people who weren't just there for a job, but who loved Star Trek and had years of background knowledge as fans themselves to ad-lib and bring their characters to life. It's a tragedy that all that remains in a cavern in the Hilton where it once stood.

16. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I went there in, I think 2000? Perhaps 99. Really enjoyed the replica of the Promenade, although one of the guys dressed as Klingons like, came and stared at me for a while and made my uncomfortable. The ride itself was pretty cool- great being 'beamed' from the queue into the transporter room, and great seeing Picard + Data + Riker on the view-screen of the bridge (the bridge! being on that was a thrill), although again, the poor out-of-work actors who usher you from location to location were pretty lame. The ride itself was okay- a bit hokey, but that's about what you expect from Vegas.

17. vulc4n

vulc4n Cadet Newbie

I got to go just before it closed making it also to the convention that year. It was a great place, exciting and where you could experience Star Trek as realistically as possible if you were inclined to dress up. Unfortunately, because it was closing one also felt as though they had to be extra sensitive to those serving in Quark's bar perse and not be as Klingon or Ferengi in their responses as one was lead to believe they could have been, if they were again inclined to do so. There also appeared to be a fear collectors would be stripping the place of glass bowels and such, which made bar staff more vigilante and rigidly strict about holding onto Credit cards and such until they were returned, this tended to create conflict unfortunately.

I would love to see another Experience with passionate Star Trek fans operating the venue. I appreciate Vernon Wilmer's effort of trying to capture the old experience and hope his work is successful at seeing another opened soon.