sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

Right. Even the canonical Hulk has been interpreted many different ways by different creators. It's already a series of distinct creations that derive from and reinterpret their predecessors, no matter how much it pretends to be a continuous story. So it's silly to say there's anything wrong with finding different ways of exploring the concept and characters in adaptations.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Besides Mr. Hyde, the Hulk was also inspired by Frankenstein's monster.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ That's true as well. My favorite era was when Hulk was misunderstood and childlike.

Maybe so. I might research that later. But this is the modern era-- I'd rather see something original.

It may be a straw man, but since I never said it, it doesn't matter. :rommie:

And now you're totally off the rails. I never said anything about censorship. You live in a strange world if you think advocating creativity means advocating censorship. :rommie:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Saying that creativity "should" only be approached in a certain way is advocating censorship, or at least it's the first step in that direction and should be guarded against carefully.

Your problem is that you're defining originality in a very narrow and illegitimate way, as being solely about making up new character names or settings or whatever. That's complete rubbish. Like I said, originality is in what you do with the ideas, not where they come from. There are countless examples of creators taking pre-existing characters and plots and doing wildly original things with them, and there are sadly even more examples of creators inventing new characters and situations and doing painfully unoriginal and cliched things with them.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rare genre comedy sighting.

Ghost Ghirls (SyFy) - executive produced by Jack Black, Ghost Ghirls is a comedic take on popular paranormal procedurals like Medium and Ghost Whisperer about two women - Heidi, who has self-proclaimed psychic abilities, and Angelica, who is a tech wiz - who attempt to solve paranormal mysteries each week while trying to prove to themselves and their customers that they are competent ghost hunters.

6. RJDiogenes

No, advocating creativity is advocating creativity. But feel free to diligently guard against it if you like.

Yes, a lot of people have done well with somebody else's ideas.

7. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

This doesn't mean you can rip off a premise or a plot situation. Reexpressing the concept is one thing as ideas can't be stolen except for their ultimate expression.

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

'Real Humans' remake for UK

not for the usa market yet. but maybe it will get picked up here too:

Kudos to remake 'Real Humans'
    Swedish sci-fi skein to bow on SVT

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-booster-gold-greg-berlanti-261801

You can also talk about it here; http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=151862 ;)

I like the character so I am excited about this and hope something becomes of it. :)

10. Temis the Vorta

Thanks for posting that - I've been following Deadline but they appear to be ignoring SyFy development. Is sci fi really that icky and beneath their dignity? :D

11. RJDiogenes

Yes. Yes, it is. :rommie:

12. Temis the Vorta

I guess Nikki Finke is still bitter about Farscape's cancellation. :p

13. Temis the Vorta

Here's something interesting:

The Walking Dead
    executive producer Gale Ann Hurd developing Area 51 drama.
    Two men? Not trying for the Mulder & Scully thing? Then again, there's no reason they couldn't, with two guys. Time to start taking risks! Especially if this ends up on cable, where it needs to be. ;)

I'll add it to the Big List when & if a network picks it up. (I wonder if AMC might be interested - but they already have an aliens-on-Earth show in development.)

14. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bet BBCA picks up the US rights.

I bet AMC takes a look at this too. Given their production approach it wouldn't shock me to see them look at a bunch of different alien pitches and then pick the best one to go to pilot.

15. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

If it is still in development, my "show for 2012" (other than Powers) is Chew. Back in April this year it was bandied around that the comic book, Chew, was in development by SHOWTIME, which is frankly a great fit for such a bizarre and idiosyncratic funny book.

The first edition was one of the funnier and most inventive comics I read this year and the series holds this quality level up. The intention of SHOWTIME turning this into a Weeds-like 30 minute dramedy seem perfect and I hope this will make it onto the air.

Given Temis is not a fan of procedurals as a rule, I found the "spin" on the genre in this book to make the entire thing fresh, funny and brilliantly wacky, and might give her pause ;)

Hugo - can you pass the beets

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  16. Temis the Vorta

That might, indeed, give me pause. :rommie: I'll add it to the list.

Given his name, the lead character is Asian? That would certainly be a departure from practically every show on TV, where it's hard to find a lead character who isn't white. Ken Leong (Lost), Ian Anthony Dale (The Event) or Reggie Lee (currently being wasted in a nothing role on Grimm) would be at the top of my list.

17. Temis the Vorta

ABC's suburban-alien comedy goes to pilot.

Sounds fun. Sci fi comedy is just as scarce as space opera nowadays so I'm happy to see more of either.

Also, AMC wants more braaaaaiiiinnns.
    Well, okay, he doesn't mean more zombies or even necessarily more sci fi, but what is making TWD such a monster hit is the combo of grownup, serious draaahma in an over-the-top fantastical setting that amps the tension up to a 12. If AMC were to sub in, say, aliens or newly sentient robots for zombies, I think that could work very well for them and tap into the same market.

18. Temis the Vorta

sf/f TV development news - 2012

It's still officially the New Year's holiday, but the news is already rolling in, and it's off to an auspicious start!

Two really hot looking guys cast in NBC's Beautiful People. :bolian:

Okay it sounds corny but sort of interesting. Very reminiscent of Caprica in some ways. A broadcast-friendly Caprica - more formulaic, less complicated, more direct - could be worth watching.

I saw Murray in Chaos - he was good as a snarky Scot. Don't know about the other guy, but he has the right look for the "soulful Data role."

I'm a little confused by the description - do the androids have the ability to have offspring in some natural way a la BSG, or does the android factory assign them android babies or what?

Since this is the time of year when news like this starts rolling in, I'll keep this going as an ongoing thread.

19. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Eh.

20. V

V Commodore Commodore

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I'm mostly looking forward to Young Justice season 2 and Avatar: The Legend of Korra.

Plus Archer season 3 and Delocated season 3.

Delocated counts as scifi; it had an extended parody of that movie "Face/Off"!