Sci-fi Brilliant but Canceled or little known gems

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Jake 2.0 started on UPN

2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Entered this thread to recommend precisely this show. Very good show, do try it. :)

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Total Recall: 2070
    Space above and Beyond

5. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

How about "7 Days"? :)

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta give a shout-out to 'Wolf Lake', a series about werewolves (aka Skinwalkers) living in a small suburb of Seatle. It originally ran on CBS in the fall of 2001 for 9 episodes, and was resurrected on UPN a year later. It stars Lou Diamond Phillips (Numb3rs), Tim Matheson (Animal House), Graham Greene (The Green Mile), Sharon Lawrence (NYPD Blue), Scott Bairstow (Party of Five), Mia Kirshner (24), Bruce McGill (Animal House), Paul Wasilewski (also credited as Paul Wesley) (Fallen), Mary Elizabeth Winsted (Final Destination 3), and Kellie Waymire (One Life to Live). I think you can find it currently airing on SciFi Channel, but am not sure, so check their listings.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't really think of anything that I watched that got canned quickly. It usually wasn't good and was cancelled for a good reason.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Star Trek ;)

Also, The Misfits of Science.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The Collector

That show was about a man named Morgan Pym who's a Collector for the devil. His wife was dying from the black plague and he agreed to become a collector in exchange for her health. She died ten years later when the contract was up, but he spent the next 600 years in the devil's service collecting the souls of people who made similar deals. One day, he decided to try and redeem these people so that the devil couldn't take their souls at the end of the ten year contract. The devil agreed to let him attempt his little game and this is basically what the show is about. It's episodic, but at the same time we got all sorts of twists and developments. For example, Morgan didn't always succeed, either because he couldn't or because the devil would trick him. Also, the devil would make Morgan hold to his own game by forcing him to redeem some truly bad people who he didn't want to redeem. There were also two ongoing sidestories. One involved a reporter who was digging into Morgan's life and who had an autistic son who seemed to have some sort of connection to the devil. Another involved a young woman Morgan met who was dying of AIDS and who got a new lease on life courtesy of the devil. Unfortunately, Morgan can't tell her who he is or she'll go to Hell. This creates all sorts of tension between them. Their relationship did take an interesting turn when she saw Morgan collecting a soul, but I won't talk about that. The show was supposed to get a guaranteed 88 episode run, but got cancelled and we never got to see what became of these characters. The show's lead, Chris Kramer was in season 2 of Jericho.
    I remember not liking the show. It premiered the same night as Deep Space Nine in January 1993 and I treated it like filler to pass the time before 9PM when the real event was suppsed to begin. My friends felt the same way. We made fun of it because it wasn't the great and illustrious Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I remember Space Rangers. It was kind of cool. Showtime or some other movie channel aired the entire series as one movie, which I thought was cool.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The Chronicle (on Sci Fi)

Ultraviolet (the cool British vampire series, not the recent movie)

Relic Hunter

Cleopatra 2525 (Hey, I liked it!)

Tribble puncher likes this.
  12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Strange World, an ABC series that starred Tim Guinee as a military doctor suffering from Gulf War Syndrome investigating criminal abuses of science. It was somewhat reminiscent of The X-Files, with a shadowy organization keeping Guinee alive through a cure to his disease. The series was created by Howard Gordon and Tim Kring, and also had Tim Minear on the writing staff. No DVD set has yet materialized, though Minear had wanted to include Strange World in a DVD set of his canceled FBI profiling show The Inside (another great show worth checking out, though not genre-related).

13. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

never seen wonderfalls but you are spot on with everything else listed. Toss my hat in for Journeyman, too.

14. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another pair of thumbs up for Good Vs Evil. That was a great show.

An oldie but a goody that I did not see mentioned yet was the show Wizards and Warriors from the early 80s. [maybe 1979]

15. Soar_Dude

Soar_Dude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I set the way back machine a little further.
    Blakes 7 They left a big opening for another season
    The starlost this show had a lot of potential I remeber watching it when I was in the first grade.
    Space 1999 This was a great show that still miles to go.

Soar Dude

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  16. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to have to disagree with ya on Space 1999. The premise was absurd and some of the stories made little sense even in the 1st season. It merely became downright unwatchable in season 2.

17. Gotham Central

Space Rangers was justifiably canceled in my opinion. The thing is though, when I watch it now, it reminds me ALOT of season 1 of Babylon 5, which was also of questionable quality. It gets special props from me for being the only other show that featured all CGI fx other than B5 (that and it starred Jeff Kaake;) )

18. Gotham Central

I think I remember seeing Plymouth. Wasn't it about a space colony or Lunar Colony?

19. Gotham Central

I remember really liking Strange Luck. Some friends of mine and I used to refer to it as "Shit Happens." I loved how thigs would just sort of happen.

20. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes exactly that premise..was well done..follow the link if you can..