Scotty question

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Ah ha! See, Set Harth, see? Abrams usurpers! And Kripke would still say "Kwonos," as the amateur linguistic spelling of "Qo'nos" would suggest to any normal person (defined as one who would not hand in a letter of resignation using Klingon glyphs or have other such tendencies).

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You sound like Rush Limbaugh. Emphasis mine.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

From Scotty and coordinates to usurpers and Rush Limbaugh in under 25 posts - that's very impressive, but let's get back to talking about Scotty and coordinates, if that's quite all right.

Discussion of the Kronos/Qo'noS question really belongs in a Trek forum other than this one. Any discussion of "Abrams usurpers" would belong (at the very least) in a thread of its own or (even better still) in an outside blog entry with plenty of room to rant. The subject of Limbaugh properly belongs in no Trek forum, and he's welcome to see himself out of this one just as soon as he possibly can.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

After going to my first Star Trek convention in the 90's, I felt tha tI had to walk away with some kind of souvenir. Money was tight, and I'm not much for spending it on stuff just for the sake of it, I really wanted to get something from the convention. I wound up buying the audio tape for the Klingon language, narrated by Mark Okrand and Michael Dorn. Okrand put a lot of thought into this, in terms how the words are pronounced. He warned that learning how to speak the language would cause a lot of spit to fly, and the tongue would flap, and a lot of sounds would be very guttural in nature. Sounds primitive, but he was remarkable consistent of these types of sounds, and it was remarkably creative.

I love that strange spelling of "Klingon" for this reason. Trying to say a "tl" sound, by putting the tongue on the roof of the mouth, actually produces the tongue flutter and a bit of spit, and, oddly enough, sounds a bit like a "k" sound, but not exactly. It's extremely unique, and convincing as a new language, and that spelling is, in my opinion, really neat.

5. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Not all, but some of the distinct sounds of the language can also be found in Hebrew - like the gutteral kh sound at the beginning of Qo'nos.

And I'm not sure why there is a "realism" issue with Scotty or humans in general calling difficult-to-pronounce with the clearly-borrowed-from-greek name Kronos, anymore than there is with English speakers calling Moskva "Moscow". You don't really think Vulcans named their world after one of our deities, do you? I'm sure the name in their tongue is something hard to pronounce for humans, too.

6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

The media can't seem to agree on even the pronunciation of Moscow. It's changed as much as the spelling of Muammar Gaddafi over the past few decades. At least Cher has settled on one name and sticks with it. Prince, well, try to pronounce that symbol he used for a while. People are so fickle.

7. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda off-topic, but FYI: The reason Prince "changed his name to a symbol" was that when he left Warner Bros, they wouldn't let him perform under the name Prince - said they owned the rights to it, and apparently this held up, somehow, for a while. Even though his birth name is Prince Rogers, Jr. Couldn't use his own bloody name!

The point of the symbol was that people wouldn't know how to pronounce it, so he thought that people would just keep calling him Prince, and even the first track off of the first album he released after leaving WB was named "My Name Is Prince..." - because he *could* use the *word* in a song, you see. ;)

What he didn't count on was radio stations enjoying mocking the whole thing and making up and using the TAFKAP ("The Artist Formerly Known As Prince") moniker, and I think it annoyed him, because a while after the change but before he could actually start calling himself Prince again, he was asked in an interview how to pronounce the symbol (he had been asked before with no direct answer), and he said it was "Christopher".

[​IMG]

:lol:

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer "the Stale Prince".

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Kronos is linguistically correct as an English transliteration of Qo'noS. No coups needed!