Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not sure I can thank TC enough for these. As it is now, Roger Lay and a handful of others appear to be good choices to pick up the mantle for a future Trek series.

RAMA

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not an ENT fan, but I have to admit the extras do sound pretty damn cool. But unfortunately $60-70 is still just to much to pay for extras alone.

3. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Im an not an ENT fan myself, I stopped watching it during second season. But these special features for the ENT Blu-Rays are actually making me think to buy these sets anyway. But I am going to wait until the price is dropping, I can wait a couple of months more to have them.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

At just over $2 an episode it seems like a good deal.

RAMA

5. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Season 3 is down to $77.99 in the US, and will probably keep dropping as we get closer to the April release date: http://amzn.to/12cIpri

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nice:bolian:

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Not bad. I may pre-order now.

8. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If amazon has the correct information and there are actually 7 discs this time in the set, there will have to be a changing in the packaging size.

Don't know if there is place for one more disc in the usually amaray version, in the steelbook versions that i collect, there is certainly not.

So, they either have to just throw in the 7th disc wrapped in a paper sheet or they have to reconfigure the box size.

Not sure, which I'd prefere.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7 discs must be an error. It should be 6 discs, just like season 1.

Disc 1: 4 episodes + bonus features, Discs 2-5: 5 episodes, Disc 6: 2 episodes + bonus features

10. jimbotron

If they keep that same pattern as season 1 going, the separate parts for Unification, Chain of Command, Birthright will all be together on the same disc. The exception is Gambit, which are the 4th and 5th episodes of the season. I'm sure the guys putting the discs together will notice that, and adjust the disc content accordingly.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Getting very impatient for this set...

7 discs...maybe the number of extras increased.

12. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

It's all a screw up on Amazon's part. If you look on the page, the "7 discs" bit is mentioned under the Special Features section... and if you read it fully you will realize that it is simply copy/pasted from the special features listing of the DVD set -- it only lists the old featurettes. The DVD set is 7 discs.

Now, if you look under Product Details, it says 6 discs. But it also says the aspect ratio is 1.85:1, which is incorrect. The takeaway here is, don't trust any of the specs you read on an Amazon blu-ray product page. Just go by the official press release. :)

13. jimbotron

14. Maxwell Everett

Taking my own advice above, it looks like Lay and Burnett weren't able to schedule Jonathan Frakes for "The Offspring" commentary and it will only be the writer Rene Echevarria -- which is still cool and great to have... but it's too bad he couldn't make it given their schedule. Oh, well. Hopefully they can get him for "Reunion" or "The Drumhead" or him and Braga for "Cause and Effect."

15. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In his Interview with TrekCore.com Robert Lay, Jr. mentioned that they could get Frakes only for new Interviews while he was directing an episode of NCIS:

Roger Lay, Jr.: I'd love to do it. I was talking to Jonathan Frakes about maybe coming in and doing "The Offspring" – he directed it, it was his first one – but Jonathan directs like ten episodes a year of multiple shows, including NCIS and Leverage, so he was only going to be in town in October for a week because he was doing an episode of NCIS. We got him that week to do his next interview for the documentaries; a second interview. So we couldn't schedule "The Offspring". We're trying; we're really trying – especially for the ones that are directors. I'd love to get LeVar in there at some point. It's definitely on my list, and I think that if you've seen what we've put out so far, you'll see that when we have an idea, we don't rest until we achieve that.

16. Maxwell Everett

:lol: You know, I'd read that... but forgot the second part where Lay says quite definitively that they couldn't get Frakes for the commentary. Somehow I'd remembered it as they were still trying to get him and make it happen before release. Thanks for pointing that out to me -- I'm not sure why I was surprised when I saw it struck through in the list of features on TrekCore.

"I must be going senile..."

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why can't Jonathan Frakes just do the audio commentary over the phone? Maybe Frakes can record it himself at home while watching the episode and send the audio file to CBS? :p

18. Maxwell Everett

At first I was going to say that in addition to controlling the audio quality they may have wanted him to record it with Echevarria and they didn't want two separate commentaries for "The Offspring." Then I remembered that they now have two for "Yesterday's Enterprise." I suppose they could've edited Frakes and Echevarria so that it sort of sounded like they recorded it together, but that always ends up sounding strange because there's no interaction between the commentators.

But you're right, there's no reason aside from audio quality that they couldn't have done it over Skype or FedExed the episode to him and had him record it himself.

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Actually, there isn't a noticable loss of audio quality when it is recorded over the phone. When Al Gore recorded his lines for Futurama, he did it over the phone, I believe.

20. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Would be cool, if they put both versions, the regular two part episodes and the one part movie versions on the discs. With seamless branching, only a few minutes of credit parts would have to be duplicated.