Will there be an explaination for how enterprise can go underwater?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Dec 12, 2012.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Will there be an explaination for how enterprise can go underwater

Or Scotty is just complaining and exaggerating as usual.
    He has to maintain that miracle worker reputation after all. :p

2. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

My understanding was that ships like the Enterprise couldn't fly in atmosphere or handle surface gravity stresses, let alone water, because they were constructed in space, for space, and it was the shields that really protected them. But then we kept seeing ships merely rocked by multiple phaser and torpedo blasts that should have incinerated any naked metal hull. ST '09 also showed the Enterprise being built on the surface an presumably flying itself into space like the star destroyers in the SW prequels.

Oh you know what, I just remembered, wasn't the original Enterprise flying in atmosphere in TOS episode when they were back in Earth's past and saved that fighter pilot?

Ultimately, is there any reason these fake starships can't travel in atmosphere or even as someone suggested upthread, through sand even?

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

New to the thread, I take it?

4. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I won't believe it until i see the Pez dispenser outboards.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Except, of course, that movies are primarily a visual medium and scifi movies in particular have always presented striking, eye-catching visuals.

"Shall we have a giant gorilla climb to the top of the Empire State Building and swat biplanes from the air? It will look cool!"

"Don't be silly. Cool visuals have nothing to do with cinema! We want only sensible, prosaic images that won't run the risk of exciting the audience."

This is not to say that scifi movies are only about the visuals; the characters and story matter, too. But, all other things being equal, why not go for the eye-popping visual over a boring one?

Lord knows TOS knew the value of snazzy visuals. Remember the Tholian Web, or the psychedelic Medusan, or the cool way Losira manifested in "That Which Survives"? As far as the plot was concerned, did Losira need to turn into a vertical TV bar? Of course not. But it looked neat and was more visually interesting than just having her appear in a flash of energy.

Heck, did Orion slave girls need to be green? Not really. But green dancing girls look cooler than plain old human ones . . . .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A comparison is needed to confirm this theory.

You know, just trying to be thourough and all. Yeah, that's the real reason...

7. Greg Cox

Thankfully, this comparison is easily conducted. Just compare the non-chartreuse belly dancer in "Wolf in the Fold" to the Orion dancing girls in "The Cage" or "Whom Gods Destroy."

When was the last time you saw anybody dress up as what's-her-name from "Wolf in the Fold" at a scifi convention?

I rest my case!

8. The Wormhole

But, I see more Slave Leias at conventions than Orion Slave Girls. Or is that more a Trek vs Wars thing? Or does that not count since Leia didn't dance? But then, Jabba's other slave girl, the one that did dance did have green skin. I think I'm catching on. Green skin makes girls good dancers.

9. Greg Cox

Just wait for SHE-HULK: THE MUSICAL.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Looking forward to it. But first:

TrekMovie has just posted an article addressing the science of some of what was shown in the 9-minute IMAX preview. In a quote excerpted from that, Kayla checks in on underwater starships:

11. The Wormhole

But really, what logical reason is there to take the ship underwater? Even if we jump to the conclusion the transporters aren't working for whatever reason, why not just send the away team down in a shuttle? If for some reason something needs to be done underwater, bring in those aquatic shuttles from TAS.

But also, what of propulsion underwater? I'm pretty sure it takes something very different to move underwater than in space.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps simply to scan/catalogue/investigate Nibiru's sea life while Kirk and McCoy, and Spock, Uhura and Sulu carried out their missions? I imagine that while an aquashuttle could do the job, the Enterprise herself could scan the living shit out of every marine lifeform in that hemisphere at once.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But don't you take a huge risk of a native or a group of natives seeing it when it's either splashing-down or taking back off?

14. Greg Cox

And don't forget the way transporter beams can split people into their good and evil selves, or else transport them to the Mirror Universe. Both also very cool, of course.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure with their scanners they could tell if any natives were in eyeshot when they did either? They probably put down miles away under cover of night with the running lights off and the windows polarized.

16. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Delta Flyer could be modified to go very deep under water. In fact, Janeway said the Voyager herself could do the same, but the necessary modifications would take too long.

I know it's "only" VOY, but it is still canon: Starships CAN go underwater.

17. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's doesn't exactly split them into "good and evil", but rather into their "wussy side" and their "animalistic side". Remember, even the "wuss" Kirk could not function properly (being such a mamby-pamby). If it was simply a matter of being good and evil, then I think they could have done away with evil Kirk and just moved on...

...But yeah; very cool. ;)

18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Well, on Earth, the ocean is pretty big. There are major portions where no one would ever see a massive ship go into the water or leave. Given that the clip shows a primitive race, they could do it a mile out without issue.

19. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seriously? A logical argument?

Don't you know who you're talking to? :lol:

20. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Will there be an explanation for how enterprise can go underwater"

SCUBA gear.