The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM[/yt]

2. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Been away for awhile. (Look, I'm still rocking a sombrero!) But now that we have something to actually talk about...

A few things that I noticed. First, the synopsis from the Itunes Movie Trailer site:

"When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew." (Emphasis mine.)

So we have a threat from within Starfleet (Sec.31 perhaps)...We have Peter Weller in the cast (remember him from ENT?)...We have a weird looking planet covered with vines...then what could be a planet self destructing in volcanic glory (Genesis, anyone? Which would make Eve's character Carol Marcus in my mind.) We have a "one man weapon of mass destruction" (aka genetically engineered superman Khan).

My theory so far (and it is total conjecture, but then again so is everything else): Khan is in this movie, but he is not the primary villain. The Big Bad is somebody else (Weller perhaps, going back to his xenophobic organization from ENT?). And Kirk and crew go to retrieve an imprisoned Khan who the Klingons somehow got their hands on in the Abramsverse, because they think Khan can somehow stop whatever the Weller character is up to. The "family" is the crew of the Enterprise, and by extension Starfleet itself. Which someone (not Khan) is trying to destroy from within.

This would certainly turn some things on their heads. Which I like. What's the point of the alternate universe if you don't play around with things? Having Khan as some sort of antihero with whom the crew forge an uneasy alliance, instead of a straight-up mustachio twisting baddie would be interesting to me. And it would bring together a lot of different prime universe threads in a totally new way.

If anyone has heard any details about Weller's character that could dump a big bucket of cold water on my theory, let me know. I haven't been following the rumor mill. The plot synopsis on Itunes got me thinking, that's all.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Great trailer. My take, based on little but speculation and the odd titbit is as follows:

- BC is not Khan (too Caucasian and English), Mitchell (too English, doesn't appear to have the same godlike powers) or Garth (too young) but an entirely new character;

- Alice Eve is either Carol Marcus or Elizabeth Dehner;

- the ship in the water is that of Peter Weller, who will not have a massive role in the movie. He'll be the equivalent of Capt Robau, his purpose will be to show us another brave starfleet crew getting creamed;

- the hands meeting at the glass are those of Pike and Spock. Pike will die in a manner not unlike how prime-Pike suffered the horrendous injuries. His death would provoke emotion in Uhura (the scene of her crying) and even Spock. The scene is deliberately redolent of TWOK but I don't think they'd kill Spock again in such a fashion;

- OTOH, there isn't a lot of Bones in this trailer. Perhaps he bites the dust in that scene? Unlikely, given the uniform colour (I think the person in the blue uniform is okay and the other one is in danger or dying), but who knows? Could that be this movie's version of the destruction of Vulcan? Showing that nothing and no-one is safe in nuTrek? (No Genesis or Katra up their sleeves for poor old McCoy).

- BC's character is probably, almost certainly Starfleet. No background knowledge is required for understanding him. We'll see something happening to his crew near the start, which will explain why he's back for vengeance. Expect him to have some sort of legitimate beef with Starfleet.

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. It's not that I am angry or disappointed, but this trailer left me cold. I just didn't care. We've seen these things a thousand times already.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I thought the writers had said it would be someone from the original series?

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

As iu saidd beforee it couldd well be a tot
    ally re imagined khan, however the revenge they would be talking about would be for Mitchell's death in the comic book... He was buried in space... Mitchell knows kirk's family. Also cumberpatch could be talking about his crew as family.

7. LCData625

LCData625 Ensign Newbie

I really wonder about this idea of Khan, it would go along with the old storyline, but JJ Abrams is full of surprises, so only one could guess what he will come up with next. To me Into Darkness looks like just another action film. Kind of getting away from the usual "Star Trek" exploring the galaxies and planets, to fighting bad guys all the time, haha

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I don't remember any statement to that effect.

9. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's it, exactly. It's not that the trailer looks like it will be a bad film. Just that it really looks like they're trying to shoehorn the Trek characters into the generic cookie cutter summer action blockbuster.

10. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I am cautiously optimistic about this movie.

For the record, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is playing a character from the first season of Star Trek, I just don't know who.

11. LCData625

LCData625 Ensign Newbie

Can't agree with all of you more ! I really feel like they have just made it into a action-pact film instead of the normal star trek

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, then it is like oldTrek!

You're not getting any more of "the normal star trek" because no one can afford to waste money on something that only a few people will pay to see.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I can't see them expecting a general audience to give a toss about what happens in the comic books. This movie is made for mass consumption, not ST completists who buy the comic books.

I do agree that the 'family' remark relates to the crew. In fact, doesn't the synopsis even refer to the crew of the Enterprise being the only family Kirk has left?

14. Edge of Forever

Edge of Forever Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If Section 31 is involved (and I hope it is, I love Section 31). I'd love there to be some kind of a twist like the fact that Cumberbatch's character isn't trying to take down Starfleet or the Federation itself but is trying to destroy and get rid of Section 31 (also, I reckon Peter Weller would make an amazing Sloan-esque character).

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Hard to read this thread with all this sticky stuff on my screen.

Can't Wait.

Mitchell doesn't want revenge. It's Khan or someone new and it looks like Spock's hand and the arm of someone with the under tunic. Perhaps Cumberbatch? Spock's half Brother? Cumberbatch did say he was conflicted, maybe he sacrifices himself to save the crew.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or simply a lower gravity world.

*cough* John Carter *cough*

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Or the fact that he only performs it when wearing that weird coat and the large mech arm. So not the best moments to judge that by.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The villain is clearly the pissed off, spurned, Greek god of Apollo.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

that's not the issue....they made a point of saying the comic book continuity was part of the movie continuity.... Kirk and Co, kill Mitchell, Mitchell returns with power degraded, looks for ways his newly twisted mind can gain power and wreck star fleet. Mitchell was part of star fleet and knows kirk's family.

20. AHirogen

AHirogen Ensign Red Shirt

As anyone red the IDW comics. Man does this shot seems to be the delta vega mining facility where Mitchell killed Kelso