Borderline Trek Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Melonpool, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Very cute! Glad for the update!

2. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Too cute!

3. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks! This character (Sam) pretty much takes over Sulu, Decker and Chekov's parts from Star Trek - The Motion Picture (though not exactly). Here's a little bit from the script:

MAYBERRY (seriously): No time for small talk, Sam. I’m reassuming command of the Steel Duck.

SAM: Wait -- you’re what, now?

MAYBERRY (ignoring Sam): You’ll stay aboard as Executive Officer... and Helmsman... Science Officer... possibly do a little Medical work on the side...

SAM (sighing): Here we go again....

4. Melonpool

There's a Star Trek II sequence in the film as well -- I built one of the prototype uniforms this weekend. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

5. Potemkin_Prod

I love it!

6. Melonpool

I should take a picture of it, but that collar was surprisingly easy (if not time-consuming to do). All I did was take a piece of foam rubber about an inch tall x however long the neck has to to be and folded a piece of felt over it (if I had Spandex, it would have been easier).

I then sewed a straight stitch on the machine every half-inch trough both layers of fabric and the foam, creating the ribbed effect. Once that was done, I ran a stitch all the way across the bottom and attached it to the maroon shirt part.

You might be able to modify this technique for use on your films, if you want. I would just leave the back open put a snap in to close it at the back so it could go over the actor's head.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  7. Potemkin_Prod

The new uniforms we have are actual turtlenecks, but I'm still considering having a seamstress alter the collars and cuffs ribbed and the shirt tails hemmed up a little. They are, however, for all intent and purposes, the right color.

8. Melonpool

We finally got around to setting up the bridge at the studio. It's amazing how much a little extra space does as far as making this set more manageable!. There's still a lot of work to do, but I'm very encouraged by our progress. As you can see, while it has elements of the Star Trek motion picture bridge, it only has 8 sections -- 3 of which go to the viewscreen. It's been a fun project and one that really affords a lot of creativity since we aren't locked into a specific look and the scale is about 1/2 that of its Trek counterpart.

Still, even then, it's 12 feet across! It looks massive with 2-foot-tall puppets!

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Potemkin_Prod

That, my friend, is truly AWESOME. I really am looking forward to your fan film!

10. Melonpool

A space helmet figures into our plot quite a bit so I had to build something that would fit the puppets' heads as well as be light enough to not add a lot of weight to them. I also wanted to have the look of the 2001 astronaut helmets without actually copying them directly. I also don't do mold making or sculpting, so I'm limited to using mostly-found objects in construction.

Here's the 2001/2010 helmets:

[​IMG]

And here's the one I made from a large plastic Easter Egg and an IKEA garbage can:

[​IMG]

Still work to do on it, but I think it's coming along nicely! The paper visor will be replaced out with a plexiglass one after I paint it.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  11. Potemkin_Prod

Very nice!

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I love the look of this. Can't wait to see more.

13. Melonpool

A few weeks ago, we started doing camera tests on the set and quickly realized that the original captain's chair made from a 10-gallon bucket was just too small for the set (and the puppets).

While scrounging around for a suitable (and cheap) replacement, I remembered that i had two Century Infant car seats in my garage -- left over from my MST3K Bot building days. Luckily, I didn't throw them out last summer when I was cleaning out my garage because it's coming together great!.

I had to chop off the bottom so I could get my hand up though (and to get the seat back into an upright position), but otherwise, it's pretty close to the way it came off the shelf. I added some arms from part of a server rack I scavenged from work and it still needs paint and upholstery, but I think we're on the right track!

Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Potemkin_Prod

Nicely done! Glad for the update!

15. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice progress!

BTW: Is it me or does that ridge on top of the helmet seem like a good location for two LEDs behind a piece of roughened transparent plastic?
    Kinda similar to those "ears" which were integrated into the ENT helmets to illuminate the area people are looking at.

16. Melonpool

I could maybe do that, but the helmet has another use other than space flight that might make lights a little too dangerous. ;)

17. Melonpool

Here's a little more work on the Captain's chair. I was able to get it padded (though I'll be adding more before I upholster it) and attach the base to the little step. I'm happy to report that it not only spins freely, but I can also get my arm up through the chair so I can puppeteer -- two flaws in the original Captain's chair. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm loving this stuff. BTW, didn't you ask me to look at a script a while back?

19. Melonpool

That would be great! Check your PM in a few minutes!

20. Melonpool

Actually, it will be later tonight. I just realized that I don;t have the latest revisions to the script anywhere at work.