Titan Books; Winter 1996 catalogue

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kinggodzillak, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

Found this in amongst my old Trek mags and figured it might be of interest to someone here. For those who don't know, Titan Books released the first 60-something TOS Pockets and 20-something TNG Pockets (along with the Bantam TOS books and a few other bits and pieces) here in the UK.

Apologies for all the ticks; blame 11 year-old me. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting. They published Shadow Lord as a giant novel??? I don't remember it being that long. Plus they promoted Dwellers in the Crucible to giant status, and don't include the giants Enterprise: The First Adventure and Final Frontier.

And the Bantam novels are published under the banner Star Trek Adventures, with new covers, and for a lower price than the Pocket reprints. Why the difference?

3. Kinggodzillak

According to Memory Alpha Shadow Lord and Dwellers in the Crucible were 'promoted' after Strangers from the Sky sold so well as a standalone. Pawns and Symbols and Uhura's Song were also released like that, although they don't appear in the catalogue either - maybe the two you mention also were?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Titan_Books

The October 1995 issue of Star Trek Magazine explains that the Bantams were reprinted due to the 'sheer popularity of the books'. :wtf: They also got the back cover of that issue;

[​IMG]

4. Christopher

Covers by Alister Pearson! Neat. I remember he did some great Doctor Who art. But no Sulu or Chekov covers?

5. Kinggodzillak

Sadly no - but in issue 8 they had an interview with Pearson, and then in issue 9 gave away some postcards of his artwork. So in all they published more than half of these lovely covers without text etc.

The Starless World;

[​IMG]

Perry's Planet;

[​IMG]

Trek to Madworld;

[​IMG]

Planet of Judgement;

[​IMG]

Death's Angel;

[​IMG]

Vulcan!;

[​IMG]

World Without End;

[​IMG]

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Those likenesses are remarkable. I've never seen these covers before. I wish he had done more Trek.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Great stuff.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Great likenesses indeed.
    What's the scaly creature with the bulging black eye behind Commander McCoy?

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Commander McCoy? I understand that was his rank, but I honestly don't think I've ever heard him referred to that way. He's either Dr. McCoy, Bones, Leonard McCoy, ect.

10. Markonian

That's exactly why I did it - calling him commander is technically correct but unusual. :rofl:

11. Christopher

I can find no results for the search string "Commander McCoy" on Chakoteya's transcript site, so evidently he never was addressed that way onscreen (unless it was in STID, which is not included on the site). But in "The Immunity Syndrome," Kirk's log entry did include a special citation for "Lieutenant Commander Leonard McCoy" among others.

12. Markonian

It was merely an expression of humor, analogous to Chakotay technically being a lieutenant commander but never addressed as such. McCoy was a full commander by TAS, IIRC, even though he's never addressed as such.

I didn't want to sideline my original question - who's the alien?

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I'm assuming that that alien is suppose to be Death's Angel.

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]

:D