Officially no series 8 in 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 22, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Toy Fair material is official in that it's advertising from an official BBC licensee, issued with BBC Worldwide's approval, designed to encourage toy shops to stock Doctor Who toys by telling them how much on-screen promotion (in the form of episodes) the BBC will be giving Doctor Who.
    It's ironic that this has come out just as the new Argos catalogue has been released, giving a very practical demonstration of how the retailers currently view Doctor Who's sales prospects.
    18 months ago the Argos Doctor Who range took up a page and a half.
    In the new catalogue it consists of... nothing.
    Nothing at all. Zip, zero, sweet FA. Not one single piece of Doctor Who merchandise in the entire place (and it's as bad in Tesco's toy section).
    Hope those brand managers are getting a good salary, 'cos they might be lucky to get a bonus this year...

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

^There's still the scaled down action figure line for the new series but i'm thinking it would give out too many spoilers to reveal it now.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

90 minutes.

Mr Awe

4. Mr Awe

That's all nice, but this the 50th Anniversary, which comes around only once! Also, if they are having more Doctors, wouldn't it be nice if their screen time wasn't quite so rushed? Some of the more elder actors may not be around for many more anniversaries.

I thought the 90 minutes for The Five Doctors was perfect. Why not just do that length?

Mr Awe

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even though the writing was on the wall from the time that BBC1 Controller Danny Cohen revelaed that we'd only be getting half a series in 2012 because Moffat couldn't manage to run two series in a timely fashion, I'm still amazed that the Anniversary Special will only be 60 minutes. Which means, assuming they do a Christmas Special, they'll have produced two whole episodes of Doctor Who in its 50th Anniversary year.

I wasn't expecting a multi-Doctor story (maybe Tennant and and Eccles) before today, there's absolutely no chance of one now. In fact I'd amazed if it wasn't just Fields Of Trenzalor, The Question and Matt Smith's Regeneration.

And if it is... don't expect Series 8 until Autumn 2014.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe this uses the money that would normally be allocated for the Christmas special?

7. StCoop

Or they don't want to introduce a new Doctor at Xmas and then leave eight months before their next episode.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With 60 minutes allotted that's probably enough time for just Tennant and Smith.

That would be a shame though.

They need to get Tom Baker before he kicks the bucket.

9. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why is the BBC so strapped for cash? Isn't Who a big moneymaker?

10. StCoop

Their Charter doesn't allow them to reinvest the money they make from it into the Show.

11. Mr Awe

But, Matt Smith seems to have committed to series 8 already. Link

Time to amend that charter! Silly restriction!

Mr Awe

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was pretty much already wildly known and accepted? Like Stcoop said, I myself wasn't expecting series 8 until at least mid summer 2014, but he's probably right and we won't get it until Autumn 2014. Makes sense.

13. Mr Awe

^^ The 60 minute length for the main special was not known. I guess it's still not totally official but it seems to be heading that direction.

Yeah, I know there are some other related things, like the docudrama about the show's beginnings, which I'm looking forward to. But, a 60 minute story misses the mark for the 50th anniversary.

Mr Awe

14. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A central restriction: without it the BBC is just another commercial broadcaster, and the justification for the licence fee rather than advertising goes.

Much as I like Doctor Who, I don't personally feel it's more important than all the other good aspects of the BBC that would go.

15. StCoop

Not really much different from Moffat telling Tennant his Series 5 plans.

16. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting... where does the money go then?

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

60 minutes does seem a bit short, but then again this is Steven Moffat, and he usually manages to cram all kinds of cool stuff into his stories (just look at his season premieres and finales). And with all the jumping around in time he likes to do, I wouldn't be surprised if he DID manage to fit in all the other Doctors somehow.

That's how I'd rather use the other Doctors anyway-- in brief, fun cameos throughout the special. Having them all just sort of.... hang out together the entire time (like in 5 Doctors) seems kind of uninspired to me.

18. Mr Awe

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, non-profits can invest their profits back into the business in the manner they see fit. You just can't have individuals getting increased rewards based on increasing profits (e.g. profits can benefit the company/charity but they can't benefit the people who run it.)

I could see a system like that for the BBC. Keep it essentially a non-profit but let them use the money they earn to more effectively run themselves.

Mr Awe

19. Mr Awe

That's funny, brief and ultimately meaningless cameos seems uninspired to me. More creative is where their presence actually is important and advances the plot.

Mr Awe

20. StCoop

They didn't want to do pointless cameos 20 years ago when they tried to make The Dark Dimension. Plus Colin Baker for one, if being pretty blunt about not being asked and not being interested.