MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bigdaddy, Dec 14, 2012.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

Then try getting a permit. In DC a security guard had to go all the way to the US Supreme Court to get permission to have a gun, won the case, and he still couldn't get the city to issue him a permit without another year of legal action. In Chicago you have to get a license to own a gun, paying big bucks on top of the State Police license, and gun sales are banned. Then you're only allowed one operable gun, and can't even take it to your garage. New York state has the strictest gun laws in the nation, and New York City is insane, requiring licensing in all sorts of ways, including a requirement to pre-approve your schedule when you move your pistol to a shooting range and back.

And those three cities account for about quarter of all US gun homicides. Toss in Philly, Detroit, Baltimore, and LA, all extremely restrictive, and you've got about half the murders accounted for.

2. gturner

gturner Admiral

Even when London had looser gun laws than NYC, it had a much lower homicide rate. New York's gun restrictions far predate London's.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Hard to get ≠ banned
    Regulated ≠ banned
    need to be licensed ≠ banned

You've cracked the code. Lots of murders happen in cities. I hope you're written your Pulitzer acceptance speech.

Oh, and heaven FORBID we license people who own guns. The horrors. Next thing you know we'll be requiring people who want to drive those automobiles to submit to some form of rules and regulations.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Many people will say if tighter gun laws prevented even one murder it was worth it.

5. Squiggy

However, I'm going to call you out on just making stuff up, as you are often want to do.

In 2010 there were 14,748 murders in the US. Let's see how close to "half" those cities were in terms of their murder rate.

NYC: 532
    LA: 291
    Chicago: 435
    Philly: 306
    DC: 131
    Detroit: 308
    Baltimore: 223

Total: 2226 or 15.09%

Close enough.

6. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

How many of those murders in the us were related to the war on drugs or mental health?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry. That last message, I was half asleep when I posted it.

8. Squiggy

I don't know. Call up all the police departments. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give you the information so you can crunch the numbers yourself.

9. Data Holmes

No they wouldn't. If they did it would shine the truth of how the war on drugs is being used to pump up the statistics and help turn the US into a police state... Which the gun banners are more than happy to accept in the name of "perceived safety".

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Then I have a question for you, have the tighter gun laws in NYC had an impact an the number of homicides commited by a firearm since they came into force?

11. Data Holmes

I do believe they went up...

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

gturner, could you please, once, back up your claims with sources?

Goes for you as well. ;)

13. gturner

gturner Admiral

Perhaps you should look at the cities' metro area and get back to me. Chicago metro, for example, jumps to about 1,200. Multiply all those by two or three and you'll be close.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cscity.pdf

For example in 1990 there where 2260 murders in NYC compared with 515 in 2011.

Now of course it isn't broken down into number of murders commited with a firearm, but there is a clear trend over the last 21 years. So if NYC's tighter gun laws where enacted after 1990 the data would tend to indicate a fall. True other crimes are also down over the same period. And there might be other factors which affect the figures.

15. Squiggy

Why would I look at the metro areas? Your point was with the cities that had restrictive gun control measures. The metro areas are comprised of multiple jurisdictions of several counties and even states with both restrictive and non-restrictive measures.

You made the claim, which runs counter to common knowledge that suburbs aren't a violent as the cities they surround. Or are you honestly saying that the suburbs of those seemingly random (yet not really knowing your posting history) cities account for 35% of all the murders in the US?

Could you point to any suburban county that is more violent than the city it serves?

16. gturner

gturner Admiral

The metro areas of such cities are often more restrictive, thinking they'll be able to eliminate the criminals coming out of the core city. They're also not really suburbs, unless you extend the term to cover places like Newark and the like.

Here is a study by Harvard Law that the US Supreme Court cited in the Heller case, finding that gun restrictions often worsen the murder rate. Luxembourg, for example, has a complete gun ban and a zero ownership rate, but twice the US murder rate and eight times the murder rate of Germany, where guns are plentiful. Belarus totally banned handguns and got five times the murder rate of Poland, where they are allowed. Russia banned them and got a murder rate ten times that of Poland, plus a whole Youtube genre of traffic confrontations where everyone piles out with sledgehammers and baseball bats, in a country where they don't even play baseball.

As for the UK, one of their criminology studies said

Now that the UK has banned guns, the cops are starting to carry pistols to defend themselves against all the new gun-wielding criminals.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And yet in spite of that and the adoption of sidearms by many British police officers on the beat their nation still registers just a handful of gun murders per year.

Now how do you explain that?

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

And occasional Brazilian electricians, etc

19. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a bit of a tangent, but I need a place to rant...

Maryland's senior US Senator, Barbara Mikulski, came out with a statement today saying that the NRA should "come to the table" and be part of a discussion gun control. Not a particularly radical statement, IMO. Anyway, the part that's bothering me so much is people's reactions on Facebook and The Baltimore Sun's site. In addition to the expected vitriol that at least focusses on the subject, people have insulted... her weight, her hair color, her age, and her alleged "ugliness". Seriously, someone said we need "ugliness control, not gun control."

Talk about ad hominem attacks! What the hell is wrong with people?!

Yes, I've been on the internet long enough that I shouldn't be surprised. But it still upsets me.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  20. Squiggy

Newark is indeed a suburb of New York City, it's also a city on it's own.

Look up what suburb means. Also look up with "metropolitan statistical area" means. Then tell me to look up what statistics exist in these new areas you just discovered.

As far as your random invocation of Luxemborg. It's great they're homicide rate is more than Germany. Their rate is also half of ours.

Stop moving the goalposts. Stop with the strawmen. Just stop. Walk away from the conversation because you keep wanting to change it to something you think you can win. The HILARIOUS thing is you're failing even more now.