Archer, Season 5: Discussion and spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by the G-man, Jan 12, 2014.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Archer: 5 Teases from the Season 5 Premiere
    • Archer returns to FX on Monday [January 13], and the show is undergoing a major reboot in its fifth season, which has been dubbed "Archer Vice." The ISIS team members are forced to explore new career options - which eventually lands them on the wrong side of the law.

"I think [creator] Adam Reed probably got very drunk one night while he was writing on his computer," star H. Jon Benjamin told reporters on a conference call this week of the revamp. "When he told me in detail what was going to happen, I was thrilled. I loved the idea. But in fairness, I couldn't reject it. I couldn't say, 'Don't do that.' I don't have that kind of power."

Some mild spoilers in the full article.

I couldn't find a thread for the new season so here we are.

And I put it in SFF because the show regularly has such SFF tropes as cyborgs, clones, space stations, artificial lifeforms, undersea laboratories, etc.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard about this a while back. Sounds like it should be a pretty crazy season, even by Archer standards. Do we know yet if the big change is going to be permanent?

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

aah! thanks for the warning, I had no idea the show was coming back tomorrow!

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was vaguely aware it was coming back but didn't realize they had moved it to Mondays. I only found out because I wanted a pic of Sterling for the "jerks" avatar contest.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm late to the game with Archer. I watched the first three seasons on Netflix and hoped they'd have season four streaming before tomorrow, but it looks like last Tuesday they just got the DVDs.

I've been needing my Archer fix!

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Not going to happen. Netflix is like a year behind all the time when it comes to Archer.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've been waiting for Netflix, too. I didn't even know Season 4 was finished!

8. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still waiting for season 4 on netflix and psych season 7 argh. But I am so looking forward tot tonight :)

9. shivkala

I figured, so I have disc one coming tomorrow.

The premiere tonight was great. I loved the "It was figuratively killing me" and the follow-up later on.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, was that extended montage at the end of the episode a massive spoiler for the entire coming season???? Because if so, I really wouldn't want to have seen that!

11. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure what that was. Before I read this thread I thought it was just Archer's fantasy and things would be back to normal next episode. But it now appears to be a new direction in the series and they are trying to sell it. Not sure I like it, but will give it a chance.

12. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

The montage was definitely just Archer's imagination and not a straight preview, but it is also a hook for what this season will be about. I don't see them going back to the spy genre any time soon. At least based on the articles I have read; they stressed that it is a workplace comedy with insane people and insane situations and "Archer Vice" certainly qualifies.

Oh, p.s. I loved the montage.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, it's a straight preview, made of clips from seven episodes. From the AV Club's interview with with series' creator:

Very much looking forward to seeing how the hell they work that tiger into things....

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, the trailer was pretty spoilerish, but intriguing at the same time. This season should be fun, but, if anything, they didn't change things enough in the second episode.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Can you really pack cocaine into a body cast like that? :lol:

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You can if you have Dr Kreiger ;)

BTW, although the show is deliberately referencing Miami Vice, there's also a nice unintentional parallel to Burn Notice.

17. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

The cocaine cast struck me as in the vein of Cheech & Chong's marijuana van. I think there was another movie where drugs where turned into plastic objects in order to be smuggled, but I can't remember right now.

18. shivkala

Are you sure it's unintentional?

I loved Pam high on cocaine!

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mean to be horrible, but Pam's cocaine diet is doing wonders for her figure.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I know right? I was very distracted for a great deal of last night's episode :evil: