Survivor 26: Fans vs Favorites Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Garak, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

If Philip thinks you're crazy, you've REALLY gone off the deep end.

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I like her a lot so far. She's funny and clearly understands the game far better than the Cool Kids (which isn't saying much).

I also think Shamar is probably a really good guy in real life, although he's behaving like an idiot on the island.

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Yeah, but the strategy of intentionally acting like an idiot on Survivor has never really worked......I don't think.

Laying on your ass and not doing any work is one of the most damaging things you can do in Survivor. Jurors also always seem to respect the people that do work around the camp.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Acting like an idiot and ostracizing the jury is a good strategy if you're aiming for the runner-up position. You latch yourself on to a strategic player and ride them to the end. You may not win, but you still get a solid chunk of change.

5. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thought the second ep wasn't every interesting... Hantz was a let down, and it looked like they advertised the same thing for next week again? Fool me once guys...

I don't really see Shamar as being a good guy in real life either personally. Seems like the kind of dude who gets off on starting trouble at dive bars to me. In San Diego that type of marine is a dime a dozen.

Here is what I like about the Fans vs Favorites format... It cuts way down on figuring out all the new players. 24 new people for each season is just too much. When they just give one returning player per tribe or whatever... it's not enough. This way it will take me a matter of weeks to figure out which blonde chick is which instead of the usual months. That's how I want my brainless reality TV. Extra brainless.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The way it's usually cut though, you don't need to learn all the characters' names at once, you don't need to learn them until they do something interesting or get voted out.

But, I do like 'All star cast' seasons. The ones I don't like are the 'Only two or three returning players' seasons. I like it when new strategic players like Todd or Stephen or Yau-man get to come into their own.

Brandon has to be one of the creepiest players ever to play. He talks about how he used to be a bully but isn't anymore, then chooses someone to hate and bullies them, and tells the camera how he's doing it because he's morally better.

We've seen three Hantzes on TV, and Russell seems to be the most well adjusted one.

Shamar seems to me like someone who's a fun guy to hang out with, but comes in to work late every day and then acts like he's doing you a favor whenever he does his job.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Brandon seems to be a very troubled young man, who can't make up his mind as what kind of man he wants to be. He wants to be a badass and a good Christian, a Hantz and not a Hantz. So he swings wildly back and forth in a frankly scary manner.

And then there are his issues with women . . . .

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

He reminds me of abusive husbands who go crazy and then apologize later.

No kidding. He's the type of guy who probably invented the phrase "she was asking for it" when it comes to rape. He thinks every good-looking woman is trying to steal him away from god.

9. Roger Wilco

I'll have to revise my opinion about Shamar. He's probably just an asshole after all.

eta: still amusing to see the Cool Kids Alliance get picked off one after another though.

10. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a little confused about the fans' plan to flush out the idol. They split the vote, but the only "Cool Kids" alliance member they didn't vote for was the guy that actually had the idol. Why not target him and force him to use his idol?

11. Yoda

At this point the Cool Kids are just down to two dudes who aren't quite as bad at challenges as everyone else. So far I wouldn't bring back any of these boring ass fans for a later season. Swing and a miss on the Survivor talent. If they didn't win another challenge it would suit me just fine.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

They weren't trying to flush out the idol. They wanted to get rid of Hope and used Eddie as the back-up vote in case one of them got to use the idol. They were trying to keep the tribe strong for challenges while still bringing the "cool group" down to two members. Hope was their first choice because she was the weakest of the three in challenges.

They seemed to think the guy with the idol was the best at challenges, so he was never a target.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That's another thing about the Fans vs Favorites concept. I'm a fan of Survivor, but if I have social plans during the episode, I miss it, and catch it on the website next time I have nothing better to do. So I can not call myself a 'superfan', thus would not be eligible for the show. Nor would anybody who has much social skills or spends much of any time outside.

The only two people who are remotely physically capable on the Fans side, Reynold and Shamar, act like pathetic entitled children.

I think the same thing is going to happen this season that happens the first Fans vs Favorites, the Favorites dominate and eviscerate the Fans tribe. I am praying that everybody gets knocked off except Matt & Mike, who then make strong alliances with some of the Favorites.

And I've seen a lot of reality show contestants who I've not liked, but there are only two who I think if I met in real life, they might actually hurt me. That is Brandon and Willie Hantz. Holy crap that family has a defective Y chromosome.

14. Pegaritaville

I know they wanted to keep the guys for the challenges, but the gal that seems to be pulling the strings (can't seem to remember any of their names) mentioned wanting to flush out the idol as well. And they could have- if they had just let Idol Guy know he was a target. Even if he was too stupid to play it they still could have voted out Hope in the second round of voting.

15. Yoda

Poor Shamar *sniffle*

Anyway, looks like we are finally getting the Hantzsplosion next week. That dude is just not stable.

16. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

looks like it's going to be interesting. But how are they going to get rid of him if they never lose?

I was thinking, wonder if the contestants could sue for putting them in there with a crazy person?

17. Roger Wilco

Why? They can leave any time they want, and the Survivor producers' contracs have been tested over many years, and lots of lunatics in the camps.

18. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

but this guy appears dangerous. I doubt the contract would hold up if contestants start physically attacking each other.

19. Pegaritaville

I'm looking forward to next week's episode. The show hyped a Brandon meltdown before, but this time it looks like it'll finally happen.

20. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I've got to give this past week's episode a rewatch, I had a dinner party beforehand and then decided to watch the show afterwards drunk off my ass and can't remember a bloody thing.