Fringe: "Snakehead" 12/3/09 - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Dec 3, 2009.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Above average

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. Below average

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, I generally dislike Chinatown episodes.

They always involve "the triad" and people smuggling. It's like Chinese people don't know how to do anything else when they're not doing Kung Fu. It didn't help that there was some widely varying degrees of Cantonese proficiency throughout the episode. I think Peter's Cantonese was better than some of the "Chinese" character's Cantonese. :lol:

Still, at least it worked well for what it was. The triad was pretty much non-existent, so they didn't have any chance to act "Chinese" - the dude who played the evil scientist was also on Cold Case speaking stilted Confucianisms a few weeks ago - and I actually enjoyed the moment between Walter and the Chinese lady. It was just unexpected. Although, kind of weird that he was in a silk robe though. :)

2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Nobles performance alone brought this episode up from the celler it would have been in. A nearly complete waste of an hour. The main story was very dull. How could the Triad follow Astrid and be in the lab before her? Shouldnt this lab have better security at the door? Just how many languages does Peter speak fluently?

3. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the episode should have ended showing the contrasting ramifications of shutting down the scientist. Yea all those people were saved and the Chinese family got back together, but we should have then seen that teenager dead from not getting his treatment, or being zipped into a plastic bubble in his house while the camera pans out showing him looking at the basketball hoop ;)

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

This episode was completely forgettable except for the interactions of Walter with Astrid and Peter. Noble really knocked it out of the park with his performance, and elevates even the crappiest freak of the week episode into something watchable. He nearly had me on the verge of tears twice, especially with his reaction to seeing Astrid's face after she was attacked.

I had really high hopes for this season delving more deeply into the mysteries of the alternate universe and Massive Dynamics on a regular basis, but it looks like they're still doing so only in the piecemeal way it was brought up in the first season.

It's going to get tiresome if the majority of eps are still X-Files knock-offs next season as well. I think they need to decide on a path and move in that direction with more assertiveness than trying to mix-up the standalone and arc based episodes so much. Except for the hint that the funders of the parasitic squidworm were big and secretive, this episode didn't even have anything to do with "The Pattern."

Regardless of my misgivings about the types of plots used the episodes, other than that the actors, dialogue, action, and music are all top-notch and some of the best on TV. I think they just need to move away from the X-Files model and chart their own course.

5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I liked this episode - some great character moments.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The ep was worthwhile just for the Astrid/Walter interaction. Nice to see Astrid having more to do. Nice to see Walter actually thinks of her as more than a background lab assitant. Nice to see Walter realize his actions have consequences, etc. Great performances from the both of them.

7. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Who knows what other mysteries and adventures will occur in the Boston area?

Yeah.

They could've recovered enough worm drug to keep that kid going until his next operation. Assuming all he needed was an operation to be bubble-free.

Basically, that part felt shoe-horned in.

8. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

There wasn't enough pathos with all those poor people duped and sacrificed so that rich people could use the worms' abilities?

9. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was actually one of the better standalones the show has ever done. I could have cared less about the Asian herbalist, the gang member goons, the kid that was sick, the false jeopardy with Astrid & Peter or the rather ho-hum creature fringe plot but there were enough nice moments with Walter/Astrid, Walter/Asian lady and Walter trying to reassert his independence that made me leave the episode with a smile and that is worth something.

I'll give it an above average but I still think if the show wants to continue it needs so badly to aim higher and be more consistent. FRINGE isn't must-see tv and doesn't have me fully invested--I wonder if it ever will be.

10. firehawk12

It was basically an allegory for real world organ trafficking from the third world to the first world anyway.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I agree. The scenes between these two were wonderful and sweet--a real breath of fresh air. But the rest of the episode was average at best. I wish they would focus more on the characters and less on the recycled X-Files plot-of-the-week.

12. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ That's exactly it. The show does its best work when it focuses on the characters. Otherwise the stories (outside of the "mythology arc") are downright boring.

13. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Yes and again at the end. Walter is awesome.

Loved the episode for the interpersonal relationships but man the snake stuff was grotesquely great. When Walter pulled the one out of that dead actor's mouth I cringed.

14. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

The comments here make me think of that South Park episode, "Simpsons did it!" :lol:

I love Walter and Asterisks, and am warming up to Peter more.

I think Walter and the Asian lady had a little 'fun', why else would he be wearing a robe? ;)

15. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did I miss the Observer? Was he (one of them) in there? I'd assume the market scene, but anyone got a pic?

16. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can sure tell they're filming in Vancouver now. :P

17. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought this was easily one of the shows best episodes. I'm surprised folks find fault with the snakes story, because I don't think it was the centerpiece of the episode and instead was just used as a backdrop for the Astrid/Walter/Peter story, which was excellent.

EDIT: Firehawk, I was genuinely curious how well Peter handled the Cantonese as he seemed to fare better than say... the Firefly crew. Not being a speaker myself I had no idea, so it's cool to get your take on how he fared.

18. firehawk12

Hah, I can't really speak for the Firefly crew because they were trying to speak Mandarin... but I've heard that it was horrible.

Peter's Cantonese on the other hand was passable, all things considered - which is a complement because Cantonese is much harder to mimic than Mandarin.

Oh, fun fact: "Snakehead" is what Cantonese people call the Chinese Triad/Mafia/whatever. I don't know if they did that consciously or by accident though, but I guess it's a nice coincidence. :lol:

19. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apologies for my ignorance on the whole Cantonese/Mandarin thing, interesting little tidbit about the title "Snakehead" though.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It's episodes like these that make me want to stop watching every episode and just go with the storyarc episodes. Aside from the bits with Walter there was little of interest here. Sure the squiddies were gross but that was only interesting for the first time you saw 'em.