After Star Trek 3 would you want an immediate reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Aug 18, 2014.

1. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I can't speak to that. I can however say as a point of fact that Karl Urban has never lead a $200 mill movie, and many other actors have...

2. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Have in the past, not so much anymore.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

No reason they can't continue with Pine in the films while a new ST series runs on television or on a streaming service.

4. Wadjda

Do shows that demand Trek series budget succed there?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I doubt a Trek series would automatically "demand" a hefty budget.

6. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Unless the sets look like TOS it will absolutely require a hefty budget.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

All sets are made out of the same wood and paint. The biggest cost difference (aside from inflation) is how big the sets are, how many sets there are, and possibly how many pricey flat screen monitors they want to use in them.

8. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Ya I'm sure the production costs for BSG were EXACTLY the same as Andromeda or Lexx. :rolleyes:

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You're assuming a live action Star Trek. They could do an animated series.

10. Wadjda

So if it's really mature can they still sell a bunch of toys?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  11. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm betting they go animated with the movie characters and move the timeline on a bit with new characters for live action or movie franchise.

12. xavier

xavier Commander

Star wars, marvel and DC all sell millions of toys and these series are mature because they have grown up fans. the thing is this series or franchises are just family friendly. there is something for everyone.kids, grown ups/adults.

star trek at times feels it is catering to a certain audience. an audience of smart asses. maybe this is why it has never been huge at the box office.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

(emphasis mine)

That was completely unnecessary to whatever point you may have been attempting to make, and I'm sure I've asked you before to refrain from taking potshots at other fans or fan groups.

Please don't do it again.

14. xavier

xavier Commander

please I do not understand, what i said is not meant to be an insult or to refer to a specific person in a negative way.

it was actually a compliment. when i use the term smart ass, i meant people who are highly intellectual and intelligent and this is what star trek is know for. In fact that is why it is so influential as a series to NASA and to modern science.

15. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Being a smart ass, or passive aggressive condescension(which is often the tone with some posters), usually denotes insecurity, and ones inability to articulate their point of view, as well as a narrow perspective. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Personally I feel that being able to effectively communicate your point with humility and sincerity is more an indication of intellect than being a smart ass; and it also denotes wisdom and a broad perspective.

I have a hard time believing Astronauts or NASA scientists would patronize people the way I see on this board every day.

16. M'Sharak

I wasn't asking for an excuse, and especially not such a ludicrously flimsy one.

While the term "smart ass" (or "smart-arse," if you will) may not always be meant as a direct insult, but it has never at any time meant what you say it does.

To make it more clear: regardless of terminology employed, what you want to do is to keep your focus on the movies themselves and topics related thereto. Talk about those.

Avoid altogether comments concerning fans and fan groups. You don't appear to have the knack for making such observations without resorting to labeling those people "haters" or "smart asses" or "ignorant". That being the case, it would be much better for you to simply leave that whole area alone.

17. CorporalClegg

Actually, these days "sets" are a lot more like they were in the TOS days than they were in the modern-Trek era.

Though, instead of Styrofoam rocks, there are round plastic balls painted green.

Green-screening has replaced so much of the location shooting, nowadays. And it's really cheap, and the quality is constantly getting better.

Take a show like Covert Affairs. It has a tiny USA Network budget, yet the stories place the characters in any and ever city around the world each week. The cities are recreated via green-screening. Compare the early episodes of the show, which did look fake at times, to the ones of the current season, which, if you didn't know any better, could pass for the real locations.

And those are real places. Imagine how much better the technology could work for some fantasy planet out in the galaxy: what used to be a handicap is now an advantage.

Actually, search the web for production costs, and the stats might surprise you.

BSG's biggest coast was the pilot movie. It ballooned out of control, but most of that was attributed to poor accounting and excessive spending on Moore's part. If you exclude the cost of the pilot, the average cost per episode for the first season in estimated (since Sciffy hasn't released the numbers) to be between $1 and $1.2 million per episode. (Really cheap by modern standards.) Once Sky pulled there end of the funding, the cost dropped to ~$850,000 per.

Now, of course, a lot of this was because, since the pilot cost so damn much (Some say as much as $16M.), that they really had to "tighten their belts" for the rest of that first season, and once Sky dropped its support they had to go even further just to say afloat.

Comparatively, Andromeda is estimated at around $600,000 and B5 at around $900,000 per episode. I couldn't find anything on Lexx.

That's not to say (modern) Star Trek hasn't been a bit on the spendy side. I think the average cost of the four shows runs about $3.5-4M adjusted. But for comparison's sake, Thrones is now running close $6M per episode. Also, since Netfilx gets thrown into the conversation so often, it should be pointed out that that 3-4M number is right around the same as Orange/Black and HoC.

But that's not really the point. The point is, just because Trek shows have been kind of expensive, doesn't mean that a new one automatically has to be, especially with modern technology.

Yup.

And really, any "boldly going" series could get away with three sets: bridge, engineering, and maybe a transporter room. They can all be mad modular so that any other ship-side set they need can be a redress. They could all fit in a single soundstage barn, with room to spare for the green-screen stage.

Also, the big elephant in the room when it comes to inflated series budgets is always ultimately actor salaries.

18. M'Sharak

Sorry, missed this earlier.

This forum is not the place for commenting on or critiquing "some posters. If you wish to comment or provide feedback about the board generally, then you'll want to open a thread in the Questions, Suggestions & Feedback forum for that purpose. If you feel that there is a problem with a particular poster or post, then you may call it to the attention of the appropriate forum moderator by A) sending them a Private Message or B) by clicking the 'Notify Moderator' ( [​IMG] ) button on the post in question and completing/submitting the form, which will alert all moderators assigned to that forum.

19. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

So I can report people for having egregious personalities? sweet!

20. CorporalClegg

Of course, egregious can either mean bad or good.