The absolute worst captain in Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mr Silver, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Any captain who knowingly betrayed Starfleet and/or the Federation.

At least you could argue that any other captain was trying to do the right thing.

2. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another vote for Captain Harriman. And it really annoys me what they did there. I understand that they wanted an opportunity for Kirk to be the hero and take charge. But to indicate that Starfleet would give the captaincy of the Enterprise to such an inexperienced, as well as indecisive, officer as Harriman stretches credibility.

3. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, we might have to make a distinction between what we saw of a captain during their time on screen vs. what their past record was. The encounter with the Doomsday Machine "broke" Matt Decker's mind. True- he displayed some irrational behavior while taking command of the Enterprise, but in sacrificing himself and in a suicide shuttle run (while he STILL probably was a bit nutty), he gave Kirk & Spock the idea of how to save their own crew.

Same with Garth of Izar (not Garth of Izod, the clothing guy). IIRC, his previous achievements in Star Fleet made him one of Kirk's heroes. But something happened to him such that he had a breakdown (not sure if a cause was given onscreen for this). Following his craziness on screen (thanks to being back on his meds...) he actually seemed like he could be a decent man (if not a decent captain) again.

I would also have to vote for Harriman as worst captain, with a special vote for the various writers that thought that they had to create a weak, seemingly incompetent captain like Harriman to make Kirk & Co. look even better in comparison.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hard to really pass judgement on captains who appear in just one episode. We only see their worst side, none of their better sides.

If asking about which series captain was worst, I'd say Janeway. Archer wasn't all that great earlier on, but I didn't think he made as many command mistakes as Janeway. She was also inconsistent in her priorities. It took a while for Archer to gain his footing, but once he had it, I think he turned out alright.

5. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Janeway in many ways...

6. Fang66

Fang66 Lieutenant Commander

LOOOORD GARTH!

Fantastic character and pre loonyness was Kirkesk in his awesomeness as a captain so no don't throw Garth of Izar in the mix.

Janeway.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  7. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

Harriman by a long-shot. His sheer incompetence had to be seen to be believed! As for Archer, there weren't any starship captains before him so it's not like there were any examples for what a starship captain was supposed to be like. Did Archer make mistakes along the way? You better believe it! However, I'm going to cut him some slack because he gave it his all. When it came down to the eleventh hour, Archer proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was fit to be Earth's first starship captain.

8. Gary7

In his defense, Harriman was just getting started. His experience is negligible next to Captain Kirk. He wasn't even mentally prepared for going on missions yet--a majority of the ship was staffed with a training crew, raw cadets. Thus, I don't think it's fair to include him in this.

9. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

I don't know, NuKirk didn't have any prior experience either but he could captain circles around that failure Harriman.

10. malchya

malchya Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My biggest problem with Harriman is the way he was written. It would have been far more satisfying to see a well trained, competent and vital officer need Kirk's help and advice than some noob who couldn't operate the head in his quarters without two cadets and an instruction tape! All this managed to do was make Star Fleet look ineffective and unprofessional. (I tell myself he was the yard captain who oversaw the building of the big E - (B) and Starfleet, for some undisclosed reason, allowed him to take her out of space dock for her trials.... I know. It still doesn't make any sense, but it lets me not cringe quite so forcefully......)

11. malchya

malchya Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, and my vote for worst captain? Janeway.

12. Gary7

On second thought... considering the importance of the ship, the Enterprise, you'd think Harriman would be on board something like the Stargazer. I appreciate his being new to the captaincy, but in the right context. Yeah, he should have been written differently. The actor has shown he could handle it in other work. It all came down to the script and the directing... maybe trying too hard to make Kirk look good. ;)

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about Harriman is, the character had to appear incompetant so that Kirk could be awesome and swoop in to save the day.

Fortunately novels and comics which have featured him do a better job at depicting him as a competant officer and capable captain while providing logical reasons for his actions in Generations.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's basically what Nimoy did in TSFS: He deliberately made the Excelsior Captain and the Grissom Captain either smug or indecisive just to make it clear how awesome the Enterprise crew are.

15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's too bad. I like my stuff just a bit less hokey. What if in GEN, a competent officer was still overtaxed and Kirk has to step in to assist? He's still needed, and maybe moreso, since he's not replacing someone clearly a putz, but someone who's competent, but even so, still needs some Kirk?

When I become a scriptwriter I'll do it right.

16. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Commander

I don't know if he was a bad captain (unless you ask Riker :p ), but if there is a "which captain was the biggest a-hole," it would have to go to Captain Jellico from Chain of Command.

17. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

ST09 introduced us to strong, calm and competent captains. I think that's one thing TOS purists cannot deny as a good thing.

I thought Jellico was a refreshing departure. He was obviously competent and well respected, but his command style which was functionality over friendship and his desire for greater efficiency made him out to be a complete asshole to the Ent-D crew.

18. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

...and lost.

I think the "biggest a-hole" award goes to Riker. His first act as captain was to appoint Shelby as his first officer and announce to her and the rest of the senior staff that he was doing so "reluctantly" and because he felt "forced" by the Borg situation.

19. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Jonathan Archer.

He had no experience, no commanding presence, fraked up almost every first contact he ever made. How ever species didn't end up building death rays and gunning for Earth is a mystery to me.

20. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody had any experience. That was kinda the point.

He sucked, in the same sense that George Mikan sucked compared to today's NBA players. Have more respect for the pioneers.