Keanu Reeves will be Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4b7a99706a1f6a07e7120ead30352504

I loved the anime. I was hoping this rumor wasn't going to turn out true! At least Reeves already has some experience with weapons and martial arts after working in the Matrix series. I guess I'll give him a chance.

2. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Keanu's been wanting this role for a long time, he's been very outspoken about it. The real trouble lies in who get's cast for the other roles.

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, now I have to practice pretending not to like Cowboy Bebop to avoid becoming associated with the inevitably shit movie.

4. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Adrian Brody as Spike
    Robert DiNeiro as Jet
    ??? as Fay
    A Corgi as Ein
    Some little kid for Ed

Come on! Was it that hard???

5. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will the promo poster be a picture of Ed with the caption: "Cowboy Bebop at his computer?"

:evil:

6. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

i don't mind Reeves getting cast. Though he is a bit too old. Just so long as the get the same peep that did the anime music.

7. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Charlize Theron as Fay. She's the only big time actress with the legs to pull it off.

8. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

I cant say i am thrilled with this announcement. I just dont think Keanu is Spike. Still, I will more than likely give it a shot.

9. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

I'll be watching the series again, and Knocking on Heaven's Door, while the movie's flopping at the box office. And if Yoko Kanno does do the soundtrack, I'll buy the CD...

10. Evil_Kirkneivel

Evil_Kirkneivel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can anyone comment on the similarity between Cowboy Bebop and Firefly? Some poster somewhere seemed to think Firefly was a ripoff of it. I've seen all of Firefly and bits of Bebop and I don't really see much of a resemblance other than some similarity of the basic concept.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a live action Bebop will look like a ripoff of Firefly (not that Reeves can measure up to Nathan Fillion). :)

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think anyone but Reeves himself honesty wants him to be Spike. He might do a passable job, but he really doesn't suit the character as-written. . . at all.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, when you mention a live action movie, I'm sure Keanu all crossed our minds, even if you didn't actually want him to take the role. If nothing else, his involvement will probably help it toward completion. I think it would be cool if he could get Spike's body language down which I think is a big part of the character and I think Keanu could pull it off with his lean body.

We'll see, I think there are so many aspects of the anime that will be hard to capture that this is only the start of what could go wrong but if they could get close at all this could be a really cool movie.

That's an interesting choice, I could picture that though I'm not sure if he's ever done a similar role.

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The biggest issue I have with Reeves is he doesn't have a narrator's voice. Whoever plays Spike needs to have that hard boiled detective movie self-narration sound. And he just generally always looks and acts like he has a stick up his ass. INTENSEly far up his ass.

14. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Ugh, this isn't good news. I don't feel as though Reeves can even come close to capturing Spike's non nonchalant intensity that defines the character.

There is no real resemblance other than basic concept. They're both space shows that don't go the shiny, Star Trek future route and the main group of characters in each are not regularly employed. There is little more to the similarity.

The other commonly hailed anime that Firefly ripped off was Outlaw Star, which is a slightly better comparison (but still little more than a passing resemblance). Again, both set in futures that are not Star Trek shiny, both have a girl in a box (although everything about the characters are completely and utterly different), both main groups of characters are not regularly employed and work with the concept of 'any job to keep going,' both crews end up getting chased/hunted by people who want the girl in the box, and both ships use a twirly light show on the back for their equivalent of FTL travel. That's about as far as the comparison goes.

In fact, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star have more in common with each other than they do with Firefly. But, that's a different topic.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yup. Plus, he simply a poor actor--and he has no comedic timing at all. (Maybe Blum can give him acting lessons. :lol: )

One thing I'm really afraid of is this will be a hi-concept serious sci-fi action flick which just isn't Beebop at all.

I think it's going to be a disaster.

16. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if they're doing Bebop the only actual "stories" to adapt would be the Red Eye/Red Dragon Syndicate angle from the series or the Biological Terrorism plot from the film. The rest just don't have the epicness needed for a film and would just seem like episodes.

...and which would you rather have some random dude off the street who knows nothing of CB or somebody like Keanu Reeves who's actually seen it, is a fan, and is enthusiastic about playing the character? I'd pick option 2 since I like the series and want a decent adaptation.

17. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

My No-Keanu Rule doesn't appeal waivable here... :D
    [​IMG]

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Except, if a guy is wrong for the part, he's wrong for the part. It's the same reason Favrou directed Iron Man and didn't play Stark. He was a enthusiastic fan and what not (And in his case, he's also a very good actor.), but simply not the guy for the part.

19. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh? I don't see why he's "wrong":

Martial artist: check
    Not too bright: Check
    Whimsical attitude: Check

Level Cleared

20. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Huh?

Spike is only 1 out of 3 of those things. Jeez.