Marriage in Nutrek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lt. Cheka Wey, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

IMO it's unlikely the Vulcans would drop their superiority notions - logic doesn't seem to take them that far. Even if it did human - Vulcan interbreeding would only work if such unions were naturally fertile and produced fertile offspring. Until and unless canon states otherwise to me Spock was the result of painstaking genetic engineering and is infertile.

Absolutely! If I wanted soap opera I wouldn't be watching Star Trek.

2. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Is there any reason to think that vulcans and humans need genetic engineering to mate? Lorian from Enterprise was a hybrid and he was the child of a human and a vulcan on a 22nd century starship without any mention of any help. We also had Sela and Simon Tarses, who were Romulan/Human and again, no mention of genetic engineering. Hell, Klingon/Trill was even possible, just with a few weeks worth of research by one doctor.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Phlox has stated that it was his help that enabled Lorian to exist. Vulcans and humans were thought to be unable to procreate - I think Phlox was the first to make a treatment possible.

4. LobsterAfternoon

Ah, forgot that bit. Perhaps in the 22nd century, it's a bit more work. Perhaps by the 23rd century, especially in the nu-verse with its higher tech, it might be a relatively simple trick, similar to the rogam shots that some pregnant women need to get now?

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The Prime Kirk and Marcus weren't married and had a son.

People will opt to marry/no marry in Trek for the same reasons they do now. The best thing is there won't be any narrow-minded bigots who think they know what love is and who should marry.

For example, I don't see Spock and Uhura marrying, as he'll soon come to his senses and realise what a pain in the neck she is.

6. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since when was it said Spock was infertile?

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yeh I reckons he's very fertile ;):lol:

B'Elanna was 'fertile'. K'Ehlyrr was 'fertile'. Both conceived kids without medical intervention. Yeh I know that was Human-Klingon but why would that be more/less believable the Human/Vulcan.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Of course there will be, and doubtless some of those narrow-minded bigots will be Vulcans.

9. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In canon there's no information either way AFAIK, I choose to go with infertile until or unless canon states otherwise because it seems more likely to me. YMMV.

10. LobsterAfternoon

Given the number of hybrids in Trek, especially 2nd generation hybrids like Simon Tarses, it seems unlikely that they are infertile. But as you said, we don't have a canon answer, so mazel tov.