Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

God forbid people should have a discussion on a discussion forum. :rolleyes:

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a person who doesn't even like Superman as a character, I have enjoyed most of the ten year run of this show and thought they gave it a fitting sendoff.

3. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen much Smallville, but what I have seen was was boring mess, and this was no exception.

Enjoyed the last 15 seconds though.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Kristen Kruek wanted to leave the show after season seven when her contract expired. However, due to the strike cutting the season down, she came back for a five episode arc in season 8 to, presumably, make up for the episodes she otherwise would have been in (plus some extra).

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Not really.
    There were much better Smallville-episodes than this finale.

6. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think this is the worst finale I've ever seen of a show that's ending. A whole lot of Clark doing nothing, stupid angst, and then what, 10 minutes of Superman?And what was up with the Jonathan Kent ghost?, and the whole "remember Smallville, it made you into the person you are" was really lame.

The comic part seven years in the future was ridicilous. Yeah, basically tells the world who Superman is, not like anyone will be able to tie the dots...
    And they still are'nt married seven years?, what?, come on.

I'm really glad this stopped showing on tv a couple of years ago, because if I had to watch 10 seasons of this, I would have gone insane. But since it did afterall give us Superman (albeit only for 10 minutes), I'll give it a Kal-El (Below Average), instead of a BIZARRO (Poor)

7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

And President-elect Luthor in 2018? Come on, that's not even a presidential election year. He would've been inaugurated in January 2017, but why call him President-elect?

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

For Pete's sake, this is the same show that depicted state representatives of a bicameral legislature as being relevant.

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the main thing that really surprised me on the finale was when they showed the president he was'nt a black pres like obama. I wonder why?

all so you gotta wonder who was lex's running mate and who ran aginst him .

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the same reason Deep Impact had a black president. :rolleyes:

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

never saw deep impact.

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. You're right...that makes the Lex losing his memory thing to be fucking ridiculous.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw a comedian recently (blanking on the name) "I dream of an America one day where a white kid can grow up to be President."

There's a risk of being patronizing to always make the screen presidents black now that it's not impossible wish fulfilment, and especially to say that black contender would fail when put up against a white guy. A rich white guy, but not just a rich white guy, a rich white guy who had his memory erased. So a black guy loses to a vegetable who doesn't know how to tie his shoes?

Is it worse to be patronizing or insulting?

The whole wrong year thing might mean scandal/impeachment/resignation or assassination?

Chris Rock said a verrrrrrrrrrrry long time ago something like "No white President is going to have a black vice president, because it'll be about 5 minutes before some brother out there shoots whitey."

Blaire Underwood has been a terrible fictional president in the event.

(White) Pete Ross was the Vice President in the comics during the "brief" Luthor Administration. If Sam wasn't in Jail, I wonder if his character would have been standing beside the President elect?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Obama doesn't exist in the DC comics universe, he does exist in Marvel comics though.

[​IMG]

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure what one has to do with the other. Several Batman archvillains know his identity. Several don't.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a vast difference between The Joker knowing Batman's identity (which is very clear from Morrison's work) and Luthor knowing Superman's identity.

The Joker really doesn't care who's under the cowl, while Luthor would set about to destroy Superman indirectly through the people Clark knew and loved and the places that Clark valued, much as Ra's al-Ghul has attempted to bring down Wayne Enterprises by striking at its people and its business. (If you're not reading Red Robin, the book's turned into a nice cat-and-mouse game between Tim Drake and Ra's.) Luthor would use the knowledge in ways that would result in no blowback toward him; The Joker's only interest is in Batman playing his psychotic games, so the identity of Batman is useless to him.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man vs Nerd or Man vs Superman?

Clark Kent is too easy to destroy.

Clark Kent doesn't threaten or look down on Luthor.

Luthor already knows that he is better than Kent even if he knows that Kent is Superman.

The only victory for a mere human being is in destroying the ubermensch.

Besides if Luthor exploits the weakness that is Clark Kent, Kal will either tidy it up bulletproof or cut it out (Superman, NO MORE!), and suddenly Superman does not have that huge chink in his armour. Allowing it to fester uncontrollably and rough is in Luthors interest.

However.

Luthor may need to destroy Clark Kent because that facet of the Aliens personality muddies his victory of the inhuman thing from space that is subverting human will and destiny like some over bearing coddling (super) nanny.

It's like finally beating up a bully who is larger and stronger you who has been over bearing and menacing to you for years, only to discover that she has the flu quite bad and can't quite see you or form a fist at the moment you chose for the take down.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a perfect reason to wipe Luthor's memory.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

In fairness, we never saw the president's face. We only got a shoulder shot.

20. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Real explanation: It's a fictional universe. Doesn't matter what color POTUS is, he ain't real. Just like Clark's CGI suit. :techman: