Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Also from "The Coming of Shadows":

By this time tomorrow, we will be
    at war with the Narn. May the Great
    Maker forgive me....​

[RIGHT]Londo Mollari

[/RIGHT]

2. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

The Coming of Shadows also has a Sinclair cameo.

I wish we had seen more of the events from To Dream of the City of Sorrows in the show - just one episode would have been enough... just one.

3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

So do I. An episode set on Minbar of the flip-side of an event occurring on Babylon 5 or something like that but featuring Sinclair and how he barely crosses paths with the regulars. Much like the climatic sequence in the novel.

I wished that they'd been able to do a transitional episode from Sinclair to Sheridan similar to the first issue of the DC comic book.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

A question to pose:

My friends have been clamoring for a B5 marathon, as we havne' thad one in quite awhile. My idea is to show a couple of "hidden gems", epiodes that aren't usually named on people's "best episode lists" but are still well regarded. Got any suggestions?

There is a second part. I thought it might be fun to print off a couple of copies of a script fromteh jms scriptbooks and have folks read through an episode while we watch it. Which do you think might be a good choice for that?

5. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Geometry of Shadows & A Day in the Strife

Depends what you are going for I suppose. The episodes follow the scripts pretty closely. A lot of the scripts have extra scenes that were cut for time. Maybe "Severed Dreams" would be interesting since the script in the book still has the character of General Hague in it. "War Without End" was reorganized quite a bit from the script once John Schuck was not available for the episode.

6. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I've always been fond of "Rumors, Bargains and Lies" myself.

Trivia note: November 25 is the ten year anniversary of "Sleeping in Light" airing. Time flies...

Jan

7. Neroon

I remember that so very well, because the next day was Thanksgiving Day. We watched the episode that Wed. night, and then inexplicably the next morning ... I woke up before the sun had come up. Hadn't planned it. Didn't set the alarm for it. In truth, I'd rather have slept in.

Instead, I got up, fixed a cup of tea, and went out onto the deck to watch the sun come up.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've always been partial to "Revelations" from season two, and think "The Face of The Enemy" from season four could easily be the best episode of the series as well.

9. Neroon

"Eyes" from season 1 is an episode that I think doesn't get quite enough love. The B story of Lennier building Garibaldi's motorcycle is a lot of fun. But the A-story of Ben Zayn attempting to usurp Sinclair's command is a plot element that I'd definitely expect.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"Eyes" doesn't work as well as it should, I think. It works, but not as well as it should. The guy who comes to take Sinclair's power (is Zayn his name?) has that huge scar and an over-the-top performance to go with. I know the scar was his own, but it's just a little much.

That said, Jeff Combs and the B-story (product placement that isn't as annoying as it has every right to be) are fun.

11. Neroon

The character's name was Ari Ben Zayn, a veteran of fihts in New Jerusalem, etc so I suspect he's Jewish. Hence the last name being "Ben Zayn", but that's a wild guess on my part.

I don't know.... I gelt it worked pretty well, because this guy was mad, driven that way because of war and getting passed over for promotion.

12. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Larry DiTillio said in his commentary for "Eyes" that much time was spent trying to reign in the over-the-top performance of the actor who played Ben Zayn to no avail.

Jan

13. Neroon

I don't disagree with you guys that he was overdone, but I still tend to think the story itself was reasonably well executed.

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

That episode nearly made me quit, the concept behind it was good but the acting was pretty bad.

15. Neroon

You really think so? Obviously I didn't but why did you think it was so bad? It's not as if it was Emmy material, but nothing really stood out to me as being cringeworthy

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

In a nutshell the actor playing the Colonel bloke was hamming it up something rotten, almost to the point of parody. In fact, I felt he acted as if he was a character in Dr. Strangelove; any second I expected him to start obsessing about the security of the station's fluids...
    Maybe it's because the guy was more of a stage actor, or felt the part called for an over the top, Patton-type fool (hardly unheard of with senior military types) I have no idea. Either way it didn't fit the tone and violently clashed with Combe's low key performance.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

He was just so over the top, even for Babylon 5. I think it may have been this thread, but I only watched it about a year ago and it was a struggle to get through season 1 first time due to some of the bad acting, but this took the biscuit.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Actually, it might be Combs' presence that really tips the Colonel's performance over the edge. It's a hammy performance, but it is made far worse because Combs is right there next to him delivering a performance that isn't hammy at all.

19. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

I think 2x10 GROPOS gets a particularly bad rep because it comes right after the spectacular Coming of Shadows. But if you aren't watching an in-order B5 marathon, you don't have that problem - and you can enjoy Dodger - who really is just a ton of fun :)

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

'GROPOS' is actually one of my favourites. Aside from the fun aspect of it giving a rare glimpse at ground warfare in a sci-fi setting it had some memorable, if a little clichéd guest characters (Large, Dodger, The General & the SgtMaj.) Most of all, it was a very important episode for Franklin; who some fans seam to have it in for, though I never understood why exactly. I remember hearing back during season three or four that JMS was planning on bringing Franklin senior back during the civil war and I was always curious as to why that was never followed up on.
    Personally I wonder if he stayed loyal to Earthdome or defected to Sherian's side. Sure the guy may be hard headed, a bit of a gingoistic hawk but he wasn't stupid and after that ISN propoganda piece from 'Illusion Of Truth' you'd think he'd smell the BS. I mean while he may buy that Sheridan had lost it and "gone native" with the aliens, he knows his son well enough to know he's not about to start playing Dr Mengala with Lurkers.