Star Trek: To Boldly Go

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by David.Blue, Oct 6, 2013.

1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh. Provided I get to wear the black leather pants...

2. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

This deviant Vulcan discussed earlier--the one whose telepathy seems interlaced with Betazed-esque empathy--methinks maybe should have an explicit bit of background of coming from an all-Vulcan colony, perhaps a truly ancient one predating any contact with Earth. An interesting bit of backstory not really touched upon and allows us to tease about which timeline is involved. Maybe.

3. BigJake

Interesting. Any particular reason?

4. David.Blue

Keep folks guessing over whether this is Abrams' timeline or the original. And it opens up some possibilities. Perhaps those on this specific world attempt to be "more Vulcan than Vulcan." I'm just thinking out loud here. :cool:

5. BigJake

I see what you mean, fair enough. Although in fairness I don't think they'd really need to be trying to be "more Vulcan than Vulcan" to point up the absurdly outsized Vulcan obsession with the prestige of their Science Academy. (I have to give it to Abrams: the scene with NuSpock and the Science Academy's rectors in ST09 was nicely done, and believable as a part of Vulcan character as it played out even in the early days of the franchise.)

Perhaps we should have a Klingon pacifist aboard too... ;)

6. BigJake

The short story mentioned above, by the way, is actually in an anthology edited by Mike Resnick called "Future Earths: Under African Skies." The story is "Toward Kilimanjaro," by an author whose name I can't recall for the life of me, but it's probably Google-able.

7. David.Blue

You know, since in this premise the Captain is not someone we see all the time, we can go with a more elaborate alien makeup as well as an atypical actor for television--perhaps someone with greater prestige who'd be okay with a recurring role but whose schedule doesn't allow for full time?

8. David.Blue

9. BigJake

Now that we see guys like Kevin Spacey and James Spader doing television, I'm not completely sure I know what "an atypical actor for television" really is anymore... but if one is to have an alien captain, someone who'd be fun to see in alien make-up and would be a badass leader is Nicole Kidman. (Or perhaps more realistically, Claudia Black.)

Some interesting ideas on the Pinterest board. I'm warming to the great-(great-great-great) grand-niece of Kirk notion as patterned on Jennifer Lawrence, whom I love, and I like Ensign V'Kree, too.

10. David.Blue

I expanded a bit on the Pinterest board--with two other characters (one human, one alien) among the young officers and a hint of the alternate history thing I mentioned in another thread. Just for fun I said it was the Mirror Universe.

11. BigJake

1. So... who's the cute Vulcan that was added? Is that another take on Ensign V'Kree?

2. Rutina Wesley is unbelievably stunning.

3. They would make a nice old-timey TOS alien... :)

4. New Klingon design is indeed fabulous, shame they weren't put to better use...

5. Grand Alliance was the better name choice, I think... and Mirror Universe Boo-urns! (Maybe at least leave it ambiguous...) But those uniforms are sweet.

6. Gina Torres is a great captain choice... be a shame to lose her under a bunch of alien makeup, though. Maybe I'm just too much of a Zoe fanboy. :)

12. David.Blue

Yep, that is Emily Browning as V'Kree.

Totally agree about Rutina Wesley. :drool:

Heh heh heh...yes.

Agreed, and agreed.

In the mirror-verse the "Alliance" has a specific meaning. I was imagining the Commonwealth as a rival political entity, with the Romulans rather dominant (but of course these are somewhat different Romulans).

Who said she's an alien? And if she were, Ms. Torres could easily be a Trill or Vulcan or some other species that isn't too weird. Or you could go with something truly extreme. I dunno. I'm just a fan! :p