Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Apr 7, 2013.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That her version didn't chart well really surprised me. I can only assume that back in the 60s and 70s, when radio stations had a bit more local control over what they played, whatever station I/my parents listened to promoted that version and/or it was something of a regional hit.

2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking into it a little further, I see Warwick's "Always Something..." was the b-side to "Who Is Gonna Love Me," which is OK but fairly un-distinguished for a single IMO. So I guess the fact that it charted at all says something.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favorite B-D songs by Dionne as well. She does indeed "kick it upstairs" and gives that polite and oh so sophisticated soprano of hers a workout. I get exhausted listening to her version of the song. It's like she is walking a tightrope but never so much as wavers.

Back on topic; not only was I surprised by Don and Betty's little trist (I thought she'd turn him down), but they actually managed to generate a bit of heat. In fact, her storyline seemed to be the writer's way of welcoming back "hot" Betty.

Megan and Henry chose poorly.

I NEVER thought Abe would be the one to dump Peggy. I thought it would be the other way around. I love unpredictability.

I couldn't see Megan cheating with a man, but somehow I can maybe sorta see her cheating with a woman. Could be wrong of course.

Only one more episode for the season?

4. the G-man

Wikipedia says we have four to go.

Oh, I can totally see her cheating with a woman. Not on the show, per se, but definitely in my fantasies. And repeatedly. ;)

5. gblews

Thats good. I thought there should be more than just one left.

Now that you mention it, I think that is where I'm mostly seeing it too. :devil:

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I don't know. I think mad men is getting kind of flat. I wonder what its conclusion will be. I kind of think it will be Don dying or one of those "life goes on" episodes to end a series.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Winter 1970: Chevy is lost, Don dies around the time it becomes publicly known he's Dick, whatever SCDPCGC is called ends up bought out by McCann, and Burt Peterson fires Roger. Peggy replaces Don. Pete has the power and prestige he always wanted but it doesn't mean anything because no one likes him.

I wonder how much of that, or any of it, will be right.

8. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

There is apparently an online rumor/theory spreading that Megan will be killed in a Sharon Tate style murder...

9. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems only fair. :lol:

10. gblews

I wonder if the rumours may be coming from fans who don't like the character or perhaps, the actor. Something like this would be pretty out of character for the show although I suppose you can't completely rule anything out until MM fineshes it's run.

Anyone say why they see this as a likely scenario?

11. Lord Garth

Zap2It makes a strong case unfortunately.

I'll be very pissed if they kill off Megan. Here's hoping this turns out to be another red herring like when people were speculating about Pete.

12. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I can't believe they'd model it after Sharon Tate. That's simply too gruesome. I can buy they might kill off the character, but not in that manner.

13. the G-man

That Zap2It article constructs a compelling theory, but it seems a little too on the nose for Weiner. Time will tell, however.

14. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't believe I'm the first one in here after tonight's episode. Oh well, initial thoughts:

"Sterling Cooper & Partners"? I dunno... Maybe it will grow on me.

Another "Don stoned/drunk/delirious" scene. They're getting kind of tiresome.

Jessica Pare makes a very cute hippie chick.

I sympathize with Joan. I'm sure she would like to elevate her reputation within the agency to someone whose contributions to the business are more than just sticking her legs in the air. And I think she's right that she'll have to do it herself; none of the partners (with the possible exception of Burt Cooper) seem interested in helping her.

That said, I liked seeing Peggy "remind" Joan of all the crap she gave Peggy back in the day.

Gleason's turning out to be a real a**hole. It might be fun watching Harry Hamlin play a real a**hole. ;)

15. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Except you really wouldn't hear them 17 stories up with a set back due to balcony. At least, not like they were driving by.

NYC sucked for about 25 years. From the riots in 68 all the way through Guiliani's touristification of Times Square.

16. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Joan had better hope Avon calls or she's done a hell of a lot of damage to herself and her position and Pete will make her pay. Pete doesn't forget slights. Talk about someone who needs to mellow out with a little weed. :devil: He is right about Gleason and Ted taking the agency in a new direction, their direction, and cutting out the SCDP crew if it suits them. Gleason's a vulture.

NYC definitely wasn't the most desirable tourist destination for a couple of years. I'm starting to wonder if Megan may well die, perhaps caught in a riot or some other way.

17. Lord Garth

When I saw Pete take a hit (of the other kind), the first thing that popped into mind was the flashback on Taxi when Reverend Jim, serious and uptight, first tried marijuana.

18. gblews

Before watching the episode last night, I thought about this article and said, "nah, I don't think so, but if Megan gets pregnant again...". Correct me if I misunderstood this, but didn't she indicate to Don (while he was in his hash hish haze), that she was pregnant? Maybe not. Still hoping this doesn't happen.

The episode ended too soon. I wanted to see Pete under the influence.

I don't think anyone should be surprised by the drug scenes. By the late 60's, recreational drug use was becoming more and more prevelent on all levels of society. Hard to believe that by the 70's, drug use, especially marijuana, would be considered as cool and hip as drinking martini's in the 50's.

Interesting watching Peggy and Joan go after each other, essentially assailing one another's methods of combating sexism. And speaking of that...Pete may not be a racist, but he is definitely a sexist.

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well she did, but she was an hallucination, so I don't know how much we can read into that.

Pete will fume, but if successful Joan will have made the kind of maneuver that Pete would have no problem pulling, so I don't feel bad for him.

Roger is my favorite character to watch. Even at his slimiest he is hilarious, and getting socked in the nuts was a great ending to his back and forth with the little guy.

I forgot to mention it last week, but even though he was never a character I liked it was good to see Duck Phillips had pulled himself out of his alcoholism and was functioning in the world again.

20. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Probably my favourite of the season, and as much as I love her, I'm glad Joan got called out by Peggy about how she treated her in the beginning. And while simultaneously watching the new season of Arrested Developement, I'm enjoying John Slattery's comedic talent so much...