DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

While I think it is more than 20 pages (given the $4 price), your point is noted. I'll wait for the trade.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

20 pages of story plus more pages featuring a "behind the scenes" look at how the comic was made.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. Story pages =/= pages of book. Not a typo. :p

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Yeah the Behind the Scene pages of Justice League are the biggest rip off ever. I am not paying an extra dollar for a few pages I may flip through once. Biggest example of a money grab ever.

Also Johns' writing style is not meant to be read monthly. So decompressed and each issue is so insubstantial.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Myasiachev speaking about the story page content issue (I forgot to address your comment after Action #2) I'm in total agreement with you here and think it is outrageous myself and yeah a few pages of extra content doesn't make up for the fact they're short changing us but for me personally at least I'm a sucker for that stuff so I liked it. That is the only reason I praised it last month.

6. Myasishchev

^Indeed. Although beyond that it's a decent enough comic. At $3, I'd give it a B (or B+ on a curve).

You know, I've been relatively uninterested in Babs Batgirl, but I was reading some of Cass Cain's series yesterday--Babs Gordon is in it a lot--and I'm actually sort of warming to the idea of getting rid of Oracle.

Now, I thought it was pretty great/important that they had a disabled character in a major role. Sure. On the other hand, Oracle--the concept--is a narrative cheat. Got a problem? Well, let's ask Oracle to look on the Internet to solve it. What does the inside of that enemy base look like? Let me download the schematics. Where did the criminals take their hostage? Kidnappers tweeted that they're at this address. Who is Lady Shiva? Let's look at her Facebook page.

The Net is vast.

P.S. Of course, this is also an excuse to bitch about a ten year old comic, and:
    1)how that series abandons its central conceit of being about a feral human by issue five--how, you ask? through frustrating, time-compressed years of hard work? fuck no, Cassandra learns to speak because magic! and writing a character with no language is hard;
    2)how even before that they seemed to confuse having no language with being mute or even worse, just not knowing English very well ("you don't understand what I'm saying, do you?" "no" WTF come on); and
    3)that the art, until Eaglesham comes aboard, is both kind of bad and hilariously inappropriate--it's all cartoony and loose, because child abuse, murder, and death duels are the wackiest of subjects you can write about.

Oh, and I was thinking--this is the DC property they will never, ever make into a film. Can you imagine a movie with Cass Cain in it? Can you imagine the acting nightmare that would be? Full face mask and no words? It'd be amazing to watch someone pull that off, but they'd never try. Nell is no model for a successful action franchise.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Joss Whedon can write and direct it and it would be called "Batgirl: Hush" :)

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying Action so much that I'll gladly pay four bucks for more like the first two issues; I don't give a shit about page count as long as I'm entertained.

I can't buy a cup of black coffee for a buck.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new 52.

Batman Year One is a movie now.

Verbatim pratically from the comic book.

Motion comics are special, and it requires at least 6 times the art a regualar comic would with out the aid of Chinese child labour, unless you're going to have southparklike animation like with how they did with the Buffy Season 8 Motion Comic.

How many of the new 52 are going to at least become motion comics once you considert hat they have upteen thousands and thousands of digital subscribers who already have their bank accounts synced into DC directly.

All of them?

10. Myasishchev

I've never seen a full motion comic, but the wee bits I've seen look bizarre and unwieldy.

I was thinking about Batwoman earlier and how she was supposed to be a soldier (can those negatively affected by DADT go back now?), which would have involved, perforce, killing people with guns, or providing support for the killing of people with guns. My question is why does Batman care about lawful homicide when civilians do it but he does not care about someone who swore an oath to lawfully kill foreigners and enemy U.S. citizens under the auspices of the U.S. military? Shouldn't he be like, "Fuck you, take off that symbol, you were a murderer in training, blah blah blah I'm an asshole Gotham is mine"? At the very least, he should question her commitment to the no-kill rule, since obviously she was at least intellectually prepared to take lives. (Let's assume, of course, that the 100,000 incidences of severe trauma to the head, spine, and torso provided by expert Bat-martial artists never killed even one person.)

I mean, I guess he doesn't care when cops do it. He cares when other superheroes do it. Huge blindspot in his bullshit moral system, though, isn't it?

11. Guy Gardener

Superman Red Son is so good.

Killing because Uncle Sam says so, is a loop hole, but what about bad soldiers and bad wars?

Bruce Wayne has to be thinking about getting into private security across the world just to make sure it's done right so that Blackwater and others don't continue to run roughshot with the planet.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marvel was doing "motion comics" forty years ago:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fEVgqoaok[/yt]

They looked bizarre and unwieldy.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Damn, comics shop missed half my pull from last week and their credit card system was down. No comics for me.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's stuff like that which is having me move more and more toward iTunes comics

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Credit Card problem aside, I wonder how many of the comics you could have culled from the shelf.

I'm curious to see how sales do in the second month of the "New 52". As I referenced earlier, when I was in my comic shop on Monday, I noticed several of the #2s still on the shelves. I guess they could have been new printings and/or reorders.

16. Guy Gardener

It's not the height of negativity to say that DC fucked the chicken with most of their decisions here.

What they did in September will become as synonymous with cockeyed backward thinking as Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

I think it's probable that half of these books will be cancelled by issue 4.

Then they'll be forced to launch a new imprint called classi... Oh? Retro DC?

How can you call an new imprint "retro" when it's all just cancelled last month books?

I did like the Blackest Night plus one books that gave all those cancelled books from the 80s one more issue.

It's not too late.

Dan can admit his mistake and wash their hands of this new 52 bollocks.

This is still not the height of negativity.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It never ceases to amaze me how amateur a lot of comic shops are compared to other small retailers - I was talking to the owner of a comic store once about stock control system and he was amazed that "there is a computer that does that?"

18. Guy Gardener

shop I worked in used microsoft outlook to cross reference the comics with each other and the box holders and their comics... It was all so simply elegant. On the other side of town the other shop was using and probably is still using little pieces of cardboard with instructions written in blue pen.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

So after reading all 52 #1's there are only ten books that did not grab me enough to continue picking them up.
    Captain Atom, Green Arrow, My Greatest Adventure, Mister Terrific, I Vampire, Grifter, Voodoo, Men of War, Static Shock and Legion Lost.
    There are 8 books that are teetering on the cusp and need serious help or issue 3 will be the end. Batwing, Birds of Prey, Red Lanterns, Resurrection Man, Storm Watch, OMAC, Justice League Dark and Hawk & Dove.
    The remaining 34 seem solid enough now and through the issue #5 solicits. Oddly these amount to mostly what I was pulling previous to the relaunch.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^^ You sir must be loaded to buying that many comics ;)