How come the TNG cast is the closest of all show casts?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by indolover, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

How exactly was he "punished" by fans?

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

Mmmm... I would argue that she jumped ship on the show too early (and she took a shot at a film career.) When that failed, TNG was becoming a fairly big success, and I think she tried to jump back onto the "gravy train". I often think that she realized she made a big mistake.

3. Jonesy

Conventions, etc. Wil's books go into detail about this. Fans of the show did often take their frustrations on the character out on him, personally.

4. Jonesy

Professional actors are required to do just that - be professional. It doesn't matter how well they gel personally, because the only thing that we see is what is filmed and edited, and that being what is scripted and shot.

5. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Oh, dear... Some pictures should, perhaps, not be put online... :rommie:

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say I much cared for the concept of the Wesley character, but that's not Wheaton's fault.

8. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

At the TNG reunion in Toronto, Michael Dorn was asked why he thought the TNG cast was so close but the other casts weren't. He had an interesting answer saying that when TNG started, with the exception of Patrick Stewart, they were all around the same age, they were all single and none of them had children. So they all were sort of at the same stage in life, and for most of them this was their first real break. So it may have been more of the commonalities that brought them together.

The DS9 cast was a mix of ages, most were married with children and most had careers that stretched back a little so the attitude on set was more of lets get this done and get home.

As for Voyager, I think they all got along well enough until Jennifer Lien was let go and they brought in Jeri Ryan. Kate imploded and was furious about it for the rest of the shows run. The rest of the cast, particularly Robert Beltran, got bitter at their lack of screen time or character development.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well if anyone could credibly compare how one cast got along compared to the other, it'd be Dorn being he was in too. Well Meany sort of but he -was- an extra in TNG.

10. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can understand that, for an actor, to be saddled with what you find is bad writing and bad characterization must be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're under contract.

Yeah, it's an amazing opportunity to have a Star Trek gig, but if your character constantly gets sidelined or only given a few throwaway lines every episode, I can understand where bitterness would take route.

Not that it is any better to become a prat about it and whine at every opportunity, but sometimes "just being grateful you have a job" doesn't really cover it.

11. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Also I heard Frakes can do hilariously loud farts on command.

12. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I know why. It's because a group of people working together, and getting along, is incredibly unrealistic and bland, and is the reason TNG sucked so badly.

:shifty: