Star Trek Online Team Adventures game

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by STOTA, Apr 10, 2013.

1. STOTA

STOTA Ensign Newbie

Hi all.

We are a small team that is making a Star Trek based game, and right now we are starting to promote our recent Indiegogo campaign.

We thank you for your comments, contributions and your help in spreading!

Star Trek Online Team Adventures

_
    Forum administrators: Please know that this is not spam. We want to make a fair use of the forum, without disturbing, and with the intention that both readers and ourselves enjoy the process. Please contact us for any question.

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

You might want to come up with a more unique name, as people might think its something to do with Star Trek Online

3. STOTA

STOTA Ensign Newbie

Hello Junxon.
    Welcome and thanks for comment!

We not rule out the idea of change the name to something more evocative in the future, but for now this will be the working name.

However the full name is Star Trek Online Team Adventures, and we always use it whole, or abbreviated as STOTA, so I hope there is not too much confusion…

For now we prefer to name it in a clearly explanatory way, even with priority over aesthetics.

4. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Yeah... as soon as I saw it I thought it had something to do with Star Trek Online the game... That's where I like to have my Star Trek Online Adventure Fun Time. Good luck.

5. STOTA

STOTA Ensign Newbie

Of course both games are going to be very different things.
    Ours will be much more oriented to narrative and adventure gameplay than action.
    Thanks!

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That's up to the moderators, obviously, but in general they haven't liked people showing up to plug fundraising efforts.

7. STOTA

STOTA Ensign Newbie

Hello Maurice.

I think, honestly, that this is a relevant information for fans.

As a fan myself, I find interesting to know that someone is doing something like this, and to have the opportunity to follow its evolution and collaborate.

I find it very nice to see so many people dump so much time and effort to create these fan productions, with no other encouragement than to share it with others.

It's an added value in the world of Star Trek and I want to think that even Paramount appreciate it as well.

However, here and in all other forums, we are asking for permission in advance, and whether we get response or not, we still including the notice, to make clear our intention to be honest in using the forum.
    Thanks for your opinion on this subject, which we think is important.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. STOTA

STOTA Ensign Newbie

Hi again.

We launched a small free game to complement the campaign.

It is modest but cute. The recreation of the Galileo has left nice, with his realtime lighting, and despite its simplicity, in 3D (stereoscopic) looks quite spectacular.

The gameplay is simple: You have to land the shuttlecraft in the Enterprise hangar. Controls are also simple: Just control the direction. The speed is automatically adjusted according to the distance to the Enterprise.

His name is Galileo Returns. It's not an action game, it's an easy thing, to play a little while, but cool.

Since I do not know if I can put it here, and also so that you go see the campaign :evil: it can be downloaded from the Indiegogo campaign website.

Give it a look and comment!

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not to be rude, but is English your primary language? Your posts read like they've been translated; generally there, but not quite right. Detracts from the professionalism somewhat.

Also, if you're insisting on staying with "Star Trek Online" Team Adventures, you're never going to get off the ground. As there's an officially licensed game with the STO name, you'll never get big enough to be worth playing without being shutdown and/or sued into oblivion if you insist on keeping it like that. And that's just the "STO" part, and makes no assumptions about whether you're allowed to use the "star trek" part, which I sincerely doubt. Attempting to make money by trading off of licensed, copyrighted material is a pretty obvious no-go.

Good luck with the $50k, but I'm going to pass. Based on the obvious legal issues, looks like you're just trying to sell the shuttle mini-game and see if you can get $50k for it. The end product can't ever be a real thing, so you're just selling the 'teaser' item.

10. STOTA

STOTA Ensign Newbie

What a discouraging message…
    First of all, to avoid misunderstandings, no irony or bitterness in my answer. Only intended to make constructive debate.

Your opinion is harsh, but not rude, and also is properly expressed in English, that indeed is not my native language.

I'm also demanding in this matter with the people I have worked with, but I am more tolerant with the people who speak English or other languages​​.
    I can say that we'll have native supervision in the different languages ​​in which the game will be translated.
    Many adventure games are published only in English and this prevents them from being played by people of other languages.
    Is also intended to implement a work method that facilitates the authoring of scripts to people outside our team, and with different languages​​.

As unfortunately the Star Trek universal translator is not yet invented, we have to deal with these issues.

In addition to this one, there are several other topics in your post, which, for readability, I will highlight with a title:

Name
    As I mentioned above, and I summarize here, I preferred (I was the one responsible) to use a descriptive name for the project. Other candidates were 'Star Trek Online Cooperative Adventures', abbreviated as STCOOL, or 'Star Trek Multiplayer Online Adventures' (STMOLA).

The word 'online' appears in almost all cases… because it is an online game. Maybe we have to regret that the name of the official Star Trek MMO would not have been a more original little, but maybe they thought the same: In describing the game with his name.

As also mentioned above, we consider it a job name, convenient but not very creative, and do not rule out to changing it later.

License
    This is a production made ​​by fans for fans.
    As you know, there are many productions made ​​in this scheme, to some extent tolerated by the owners of the license. Without going any further, 'Star Trek Phase II', and many (many) series and games and texts… many of which are likewise subject to crowfunding campaigns, just like ours, and they are intended to cover, at least in part, production costs.

In addition, as some of those other productions, we will intend (illusion to some extent) to attempt to obtain a formal license.
    To submit a project on the paper at this levels is an impossible task, and we may have more chances of success once we be able to present a working product.

Honestly, I also don't think we'll get the total budgeted for the campaign. With that amount would have completely covered the costs, hiring additional staff and within a professional time limit of 8-10 months.

All that remains below that amount will need to be invested in the form of volunteer work, which is what we are doing now, and also will make longer the production period.

Gift game
    In other crowfunding campaigns they offer a video. I thought that would be most valuable to gift a game that had some value in itself, and shows some skills.

But I think you give too much value to it.
    Seriously, it took more work to make the campaign that this little game.

What you say makes sense, but if you look at it slowly, I think there are significant imbalance between the effort invested in this little game and in the campaign, the chances of getting such a large sum of money for something so small.
    I think (please do not take away that illusion) that the text distills enthusiasm for the project.
    Personally, I think that when something is a scam, and it is as thick as you say, is more evident.

However, if you have that impression, perhaps the only way to refute is with the passing of time and by watching the progress of the work.

It is somewhat the nature of crowfunding, and indeed is some risk to the investor, and a challenge to the promoter to generate confidence and enthusiasm on the project.

I not sorry that you do not want to contribute with money (might have been more valuable your contribution with this critical opinion) but having aroused suspicion.
    I assure you that we will consider these views so that our work is only generating enjoyment for those who are involved and interested.

Best regards to you, and forgive all this post so long.

__
    I'll appreciate any suggestions regarding the correction of texts, preferably in private message, in order to not change the subject, and, above all, for embarrassment…

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sorry, was just trying to determine whether it was a poorly-constructed effort, or just trouble in translation. Glad to hear it's the latter.

I just mention it because you have basically NO chance at going legit if you keep that name, so why not spend the time upfront to attempt to improve the situation? It's perfectly descriptive, but already taken. Any attempt to go bigger, you'll get shut down. Why be stubborn and force them to do it? Even changing the word "online" to something like "co-operative" at least gives you a CHANCE, whereas leaving it alone FORCES CBS and STO to sue you just on defense of copyright and you trading on their licensed name.

I can't speak to their funding, I don't know. Just know that attempting to raise $50k trading on a license you don't own, with intellectual copyright you don't hold, seems problematic. Are you doing this for fun, or is this a full-time job for several people? What's your expense profile here? $50k is a lot of money, how's it being spent?

ZERO chance here, IMO. CBS holds the license, and develops projects it's interested in. If you approach with a product you want them to sign off on, you'll get dismissed at best, and kicked out holding papers from a law firm more likely. Kinda like how tie-in media books work. You can't write a book and try to pitch it, they wouldn't listen even if it was THE best book of all time. You wouldn't even get a meeting. They contract writers to do the work for them, they don't have open auditions.

They offer the video to show that some work has been done on the game, and hint that the end result may someday appear.

Since in this case, I don't think you can legally produce the end product, you're really just giving them the mini-game for their money, and that's very likely all they'll ever see.

I'm not trying to over-state the mini-game, I just don't think there's a producible end-product, so you have to be happy with the mini-game if you donate.

How's the game itself coming?

Again, not trying to attack you, just skeptical about the process itself, and whether what you're trying to do is even legal, much less achievable. Adding in the amount of money you're trying to raise, and it's not quite a harmless endeavor anymore.

Best of luck, as it DOES sound like a fun idea. Actually, it really just sounds like a co-operative online version of Interplay's 25th Anniversary game.

12. STOTA

STOTA Ensign Newbie

Hello again Scout101.

Forgive the delay in answering, but I'm really busy these days.

Although we currently disagree, I really appreciate your effort and interest on this debate.

I would point out that we are not amateurs, and myself, head of the project, already I'm old enough, and quite painstaking and thoughtful.

Obviously I can be wrong, and I can overlook things, but believe me, I have researched and thought about these issues.

Of course, my goal would be to remove any doubt so that even the most skeptical person would feel calm and encouraged to collaborate, but obviously it is difficult, especially in this early stage of production.

Regarding the chances of success in obtaining official license, over the years there have been cases of all kinds. Withdrawal orders, silent tolerance, implicit acceptances, and full licenses. The property of the license itself has evolved, so we could say now that even CBS is not the same as 10 years ago. This summary could be interesting.

Contrary to what may seem, there is a significant amount of official licenses for Star Trek products, and on the other hand, as there are many fan productions without any funding, and things like Star Trek Phase II (funded through direct donations), or Star Trek Renegades (funded via Kickstarter) I have some confidence that we could come to a good end in one way or another.

Attempting to summarize, I would say that, in the worst case we would find ourselves without an official license from Paramount / CBS, and having received a certain amount of money to cover production.

In this situation, there are several key issues, such as fair use and profit. There are also plenty of cases and a lot of historical literature and reference in this respect. In anticipation of this issue, we will keep invoice and documentation demonstrating that all expenditures are used in the production.
    In any case, wish us good luck :)
    However, again, if not licensed, we would continue with the project normally, as what it is, a production of fans, voluntary and free.

And if we do not get funding, we'll simply continue at our own pace, because the reason of this project is not the economic benefit (we already do other things for that) but to provide significant value to the Star Trek universe and share it with other fans.