German Popstar Confesses In HIV trial

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Angela 0077, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/7945952/german-pop-star-confesses-in-hiv-trial

This is a interesting story and also a very sad one.

This woman has HIV and she knew she jad it but slept with three lovers

She didnt tell them that she was HIV positive
    Because of what she has done thiis woman might be jailed for 10 yrs her trial is still going
    My thoughts on this is that when she was told she had HIV she should have not slept with anyone l nkow it would have been hard but to go around and do what she did is wrong
    She should have thought about it bbefore going around and affecting others
    I am not sure if she did it because she was angry because you are only seeing one side of the story.

Anyway what do you think of what she has done and it would be interesting to see what you guys think about this.

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

She should get life.

3. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

yes what she did is not right.

There have been a few cases where people have gone out there way to affect others with this kind of thing meaning AIDS.

I wonder if a person who is effected by HIV has a right to see a social worker because getting something like this would be terrible.

4. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I wish it was hard for me not to sleep with people.

5. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

Well it is alright to sleep with people if you pretect yourself because half of the time you dont know where that person has been.

Some people wait until they get married to have sex which is there own choice but this woman was a popstar and she wasnt ugly so they were possiby lined up at her door.

But l would be interested to know if the guys she slept with did or not get the HIV

6. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

In the US, being HIV+ gets you a lot of Government benefits.

7. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

Well it is alright to recieve money but proper help when told that you have the HIV infection would be good too.
    i know that some might be able to cope but when you see this you wonder why they did it and if they had got proper advice maybe the person might have been stopped in her tracks

I have seen docos on people who have Aids it is terrible to see when you see photos of what the person used to look like.

Also you would need the support of family and freinds this woman would have that now

8. JonathonWally

Wait, your sympathy is for the woman who knowingly exposed 3 men to HIV without telling them, and has infected one, effectively shortening his life?

Seriously?

9. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

Well all l am saying is that she should have received help when she was told she had HIV
    But people are not given that only after they have committed a offence like she has now.
    i do have the right to feel sorry for her actions even though they were wrong.

10. JonathonWally

I don't really feel sympathy for serial killers who's mothers didn't hug them enough.

11. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All ready thread on this story Here

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Different forum. We can have repeat threads in Misc and TNZ. Not that I'm saying people shouldn't take a look at TNZ one, mind you, but we are allowed to have two threads on the topic.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yes, having a Thread about this in Misc is fine.

14. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

There are a few things I am curious about.

1) Is it certain that the man contracted HIV from this woman?
    2) Did he have unprotected sex with other women as well?
    3) Was she legally an adult when she had the sex with him that lead to him getting AIDS? If she wasn't an adult how different will she be treated under German law (she is 28 now but she had sex 5 times between 2000-2004 with 3 different men, she was only 17 in 2000).
    4) How much did she understand about AIDS in 2000 (when she was 17)?
    5) What was her emotional state after she found out she was HIV positive in 1999 especially as she was only 16 at the time and pregnant. Has the person who infected her been blamed in any way?

15. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

She's being tried under the law for young offenders. So I highly doubt that what the OP siad about her facing up to 10 years in prison is true. 10 years is the maximum penalty for murder for young offenders and she's only charged with assault and bodily harm.

16. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

If her intent was to infect others, I might agree, but merely neglecting to inform others as to her condition? I don't know. Seems You're imposing a positive social obligation upon others which could have far-reaching consequences if applied more broadly, for example in relation to protection and unexpected/unwanted pregnancies, folks riding public transport or attending work/school whilst ill, etc.

That's not to say I don't think this woman has done anything wrong or shouldn't be punished in some fashion, but I'm not sure it's a very defensible position from a libertarian POV.

In truth, I don't see a lot of point in locking this woman up except to prevent her from having sex with people uninformed about her condition ... and wow, no real alternative is coming to mind, but that seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water. She certainly needs counselling. I'm just thinking out loud here.

17. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

Yes that was what l was trying to say about her state of mind when she contracted HIV
    It would have been a terrible time and that is why l said it is a shame that they dont have proper help when you get this.
    It is alright to get benfits but to have someone to talk too would have been good too.
    HIV would change your life and it would be hard for her even though l stated before she shouldnt have put at risk other men.

You would go through so many emotions and in some cases you would be losing your life while still young.
    I wonder where we are in the cure of AIDs.
    I know there are certain drugs to prolong life but has there been any new drug treatments