One Thing That Seperates Star Trek: Deep Space Nine From Other Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Is: they fewer junk, throwaway episodes. Voyager had a few good ones, TNG had many like DS9. Still, the former had many, many, many very forgettable and dare I say many terrible episodes.

Seriously, I can count on 1 hand DS9's junk eps. I would need more phalanges to get Voyager and TNG (and TOS)

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Re: One Thing That Seperates Star Trek: Deep Space Nine From Other Tre

While I love DS9, I can count rather more junk episodes than that, mostly in the final season, between horrid shit like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," and pretty much every episode involving Ezri Dax.

3. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Ezri Dax is Best Dax.

I'm with you on "Take Me Out To the Holosuite," though. Maybe would have worked before the Dominion War, but not during. Also, baseball has no place.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I don't find that there are very many episodes that I'd consider junk. Take Me Out To The Holosuite wasn't DS9's best, but it was an okay episode. The one I liked the least from season 7 was the Badda Bang Badda Boom ep, or whatever it's called. And while I wouldn't call any of Ezri's episodes junk, she's the main reason why I only watched part of season 7 when I did a rewatch.

Jadzia is best, but we've all got our opinions, and they vary, which is okay. :)

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

This. Though I don't mind Ezri/De Boer. Just prefer Jadzia/Farrell.

One thing that definitely separates: generally better acting. Though I think VOY is the funniest/most likeable series.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

She is WAY more adorable than Curzon.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Let me be specific about that. I generally had no issues with Ezri Dax's character, or Nichole deBoer's acting (although Ezri was a bit whiny for my tastes...).

The problem I had was that they decided to introduce this brand-new character, and have several episodes devoted to her story, just for one season before the show ended. Dax should have stayed dead, as a casualty of war, and those stories of Ezri's should have been made into Dominion war arc stories. Perhaps that way, we could have had an ending to DS9 that was less rushed.

And "TMOTTH" should just never have been made. Period.

8. teacake

Ezri Dax was a WONDER that transcended all normal storyline requirements.

Her perfection and cuteness are appropriate anywhere, anytime.

9. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing I didn't like about Ezri was Jadzia's absence. I didn't have a problem with her character, I just liked Jadzia a lot.

And I loved "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang."

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Religious mumbo-jumbo. Thats what separates DS9 from other Treks.

11. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

I actually thought Take Me Out to the Holosuite was actually pretty well placed in the Dominion War.
    It was a good team building and moral boosting event, which was really needed at that point, and gave the crew something else to think about for a while other than possible death and destruction. I think it was nice to see a complete change from the norm at that point, showed there was other things going on at the same time.

Not a baseball fan myself, but sport in general helps team building and seemed to work for the crew at this point.

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Take Me Out to the Holosuite is easily one of my favorite episodes of Season 7. As interesting as I find the Dominion War, a nice respite from all of the violence and destruction is appreciated.

13. teacake

I didn't want a respite.

I wanted machinations and death!

14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I've watched 5 of the 6 Trek series to completion. With DS9 it didn't get interesting and gripping until it's 5th season around the time 'For The Uniform' and onward. I found it such a chore to sit through season 1-3. Too much of it was waiting around on the station and hoping something interesting would happen. The religious angle was annoying and boring, the Cardassians seemed like they had nothing better to do than fuck with the DS9 crew every other week, and the Dominion threat wasn't fully developed but constantly talked about as a reminder to what the plot of this show became after the religious mumbo jumbo didn't resonate after the first two seasons.

15. teacake

See I was always in love with the station itself. I love the idea of living on a space station, would far rather live there than a starship. I like transitional spaces that are hubs. Airports, train stations.. DS9 was all that with aliens. So I was quite happy to hang out there with the vole problems and Quarks establishment and cargo holds and all kinds of folk passing through.

16. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

I disagree that the "religious stuff" was mumbo-jumbo. I sort of don't mind religion when the gods are demonstrably real. And the really interesting aspect of the religious storyline was the intersection with Bajoran politics. I felt that the non-linear nature of the Prophets' existence fully justified and explained the pseudo-mystical nature of the prophecies, the "Emissary" plot line, etc.

Also we got a whole lot less of "blue team hates red team on planet of the week, away team in peril" bullshit, and a lot more fleshed out recurring characters.

17. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Take me OUt to the holosuite, it is one of my top favorites of the entire series

18. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

While I understand that "STAR TREK IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" and stuff, Take Me Out to the Holosuite is absolutely brilliant.

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically, and I say that as a person who is not a sports fan by any measure, I liked "Take Me Out to the Holsuite". It provided a nice respite from the war stories. And it's the only time in my life I ever enjoyed watching a baseball game.

And I agree with you about Ezri. I liked her alot. I don't know if I liked her as much as I did Jadzia, but as long as we couldn't have Jadzia, Erzi was a perfectly acceptable replacement.

20. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had significant problems with the way this was executed. Especially when they started talking about "bajoran faith" or faith in general.

When your "gods" are scientifically proven to exist then it has nothing to do with faith. So when Kira says things like "You can't understand faith unless you have it" it rang really hollow to me.

I didn't like how the show seemed to almost pat itself on the back for depicting faith as an positive thing, but all the while it had nothing to do with actual faith. It seemed ridiculous that starfleet officers would continually take the attitude that the bajoran faith stuff was untrustworthy or hard to believe, when they themselves recognized the existence of the wormhole aliens and their ability to manipulate time/space.. There's nothing to have faith in there, it's all right there in front of them.

It's hard to really put into words what I'm trying to say, because I'm not very eloquent, but does anyone know what I mean?