The Borg

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by SignGuyHPW, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Section 31 put the information under wraps.

2. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good way of putting it. :techman:

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I agree with that completely. I still didn't like the episode.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the connection of the of how the movie of First contact and the borg were shown in Regeneration and Archer had great rolein tvshow, and how Phlox struggling with being affected by the borg nano probes and finding a cure to stop hisg transformation was dealt with was well acted in tis show. I Malcolm taking down a borg drone and helping Archer stop the borg.

5. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

That thread is three months old. Ancient history.

Besides, we get a new TATV (or Dear Doctor, or ANiS) thread every few weeks, so y'all are showing admirable restraint here :p

6. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

But you can make that objection to many episodes.

Shuttlepod One was a "stuck together in a bad situation" episode that was made just for the sake of having a "stuck together in a bad situation" and it contributed nothing to the rest of the series. After all, did Trip and Malcom become buddies afterwards?

That argument never really seemed logical to me. It's perfectly plausible that the whole thing was classified top secret and hidden away. Why would a mere captain be aware of it a few centuries later? Are US Navy captains aware of classified information from the 1800s? Do you expect a Navy captain 200 years from now is going to know all about the top secret missions that are being carried out today? Of course not.

And as for the other oft-mentioned criticism that the Borg don't say, "We are the Borg" in Regeneration, they didn't say it in Q Who either.

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought Regeneration was actually one of the better Enterprise episodes. I thought it was cleverly done, and after Voyager over exposed us to the Borg and reduced their stature as a threat, it was great to see the Borg back to being a menacing space-zombie threat, on par with FC.

8. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I guess it was inevitable Enterprise would do a Borg Episode. It was pretty enjoyable and didn't do anything totally unforgivable to continuity.

9. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought Regeneration was handled better than any voyager Borg episode.

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Say what one likes about Regeneration, it's a one-off... as in, it didn't do any lasting damage to the series, unlike, say, "Broken Bow", which introduced Reed, Mayweather, and Sato to the cast. :p

Myself, I think it's tons of fun.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with "Regeneration" either, but I have the opposite interpretation: ENT is not an alternate timeline, and this episode simply established a closed time loop. The reason the Borg cube in "Q Who" was already headed in the general direction of Earth? They picked up the signal which the "Regeneration" Borg sent.

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I agree. I use an expanded version of this idea eactly in my novelization of "The Best of Both Worlds" (Link in my signature!) The Borg pick up the signal and send two Cubes, one about a decade behind the first.

The first Cube is the one the Hansens follow and eventually get assimilated. The second one destroys the Fed and Rom outposts in The Neutral Zone, but then heads back towards Borg Space, not finding Humans or Romulans any different to what can be found closer to home. But on the way back, it encounters the Enterprise in J-25, and the Queen, wanting to know how Humans developed this technology that allowed them to escape so easily in that episode, sends the Cube back to Earth for The Best of Both Worlds.

13. Yanks

The writers were perfectly within their rights to use the Borg in Enterprise. Regeneration fit perfectly with the altered Borg timeline created by the movie First Contact.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not an alternate timeline. Seven and that time cop talk about it in Relativity. It was a predestination paradox

15. Yanks

I didn't say "alternate" timeline, I said "altered".

But would you pleas elaborate concerning the prededination paradox?

16. R. Star

Predestination. Basically an event in the past happens to trigger an event in the future despite the fact that it hadn't happened yet.

In the episode they called it a Pogo Paradox.

DUCANE: The Pogo Paradox.
    SEVEN: A causality loop in which interference to prevent an event actually triggers the same event.
    DUCANE: Excellent. Can you give me an example?
    SEVEN: The Borg once travelled back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane from breaking the warp barrier. They succeeded, but that in turn led the Starship Enterprise to intervene. They assisted Cochrane with the flight the Borg was trying to prevent. Causal loop complete.
    DUCANE: So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg.
    SEVEN: You're welcome.

As Seven recalls those events the timeline was never altered really so that Borg incursion had always happened.

17. Yanks

OK, that makes sense.

"Your Welcome" :guffaw:

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, they'd see it that way, because it had already happened.

And then Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged showed up and dissed them all. :p

19. R. Star

Actually the creepiest aspect of that episode is an agency that routinely manipulates the timeline in what is construed to be their favor having the authority to arrest people for "crimes they are going to commit."

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Then again, time travel is such an inherent part of their daily lives that they must have developed a kind of law and military procedure that would be absolutely incomprehensible to us today.