Janeway wins in a poll of 10,000 people..

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've already qualified that I was 10 and it was the 80s when I formed that opinion. Although I'm not saying that 10 year olds are stupid, but more so that my penis had much quieter less demanding voice back then.

I like Gates later on.

I like Marina later on.

But Crosby just doesn't ring my bell so she might as well be a man.

I'm blaming it on the wardrobe and make up departments more so than the casting.

2. dulcimer47

dulcimer47 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Mayor? Sisko was the commanding officer on the front lines of the most devastating war ever depicted in Star Trek. Not only that, but more importantly, the show depicted repeated acts of bravery and heroism, including the consequences of said acts, something Voyager never did.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's action hero courage. There's dark night of the soul courage. There's sending good men and women into battle to face near certain death courage. All the captains stepped up to the plate when they needed to in different ways.

4. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I don't post on startrek.com, but I do try to vote in their polls whenever I happen to be on their site. I didn't vote in this poll, though......interesting results.

5. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nowhere did I say it was because she was not black. I never even thought that. I never play the race card.

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I know it's common to think of DS9 as the "war show," but that storyline was only during the final two seasons of the series. And I'm not knocking Sisko here, I liked the character a lot, but he wasn't out to "explore strange new worlds" nor was he trapped on the other side of the galaxy. I'm sure he was as brave as your average Starfleet captain, but he just didn't get the opportunity to show it as often as others did.

7. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

^ If TOS is to be believed, your average Starfleet Captain is incompetent and foolish.

There is bravery in building a community on a burnt out, wrecked space station with people who don't trust you. There is bravery in embracing who you are espeically if it it doesn't jive with your bosses philosophy.

8. teacake

Until they ascend to Admiral when they become traitors or megalomaniacs.

9. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, I do actually find Janeway the most watchable of captains.

10. Guy Gardener

Hank Moody from Californication once said about a TV Celebrity Chef full of Southern Charm "I hate her, but I want to fuck her. I want to hate fuck her. Does that make sense?"

Meanwhile the blokes from The League are all about the "Fear-Boner."

Just because Janeway is "Watchable" it doesn't make her a moral human being.

11. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gates was hot in every season. Perfect body, delicate face and complexion and long, wavy hair. Definitely an underrated Trek beauty.

12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

to each their own. Women past forty seldom look "hot" to me-they can be good-looking or pretty, but by mid-TNG Gates was in her early forties and no longer capable of being "hot."

13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

If "Endgame" gave anyone here closure, I suggest they seek help immediately. :rommie:

14. teacake

I never get why people want the closure. I thought the end of DS9 was great, I like wondering what becomes of Sisko.

15. Guy Gardener

I'm assuming you're young.

Nothing wrong with that.

But at some point you have to start transitioning and believe that 40 year old women can be hot, because if you're still interested in 15 year old girls when you're 45, there's a word for people like that.

Doubly so for fat girls.

of course there's I like doughnuts "fat" and then there's surviving 4 pregnancies "fat" (espeically if you were the one putting those babies inside her!) but in either case, all the hunting skills you have learnt as a teenager are not going to serve you well in your middle years.

The really weird thing is that a plump 16 year old can pass for a relatively normal sized 25 year old. She's teased and abused by her mean girl peers, but then with out effort or disguise she can go to the pub and drown her misery.

So the complete truth of the matter is that the older you get, the younger and more beautiful all the women on film forever forty will relatively seem to become.

Hells, there's a day coming soon when you're going to be older than gates in the 80s, and you'll think of her as a stupid know nothing kid.

It's days like that, to look forward to, after they light your 50 birthday candles that you're trying to decide who to throw that cake at in their sanctimonious wrinkle free face.

Ageing is a bitch, but there's always dying young.

Oh?

gates was on Franklin and Bash late last year.

I thought she looked astounding for 62.

Hells, I thought she looked fabulous for 42.

(in 1993, she was on a show called Dream On, which regularly showed b-list actresses topless, and when I saw gates name in the credits at the beginning I... paid a lot of attention to that episode.)

I can't remember where I heard this but it always make me smirk when my memory is refreshing.

"My GOD! YOU'RE GORGEOUS!!! ...Do you have a daughter?"

16. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Oh yes, being a Voyager fan on tbbs is just like being a Christian in America. Merciless oppression.

:rolleyes:

17. teacake

This is true. I've read the newsletters.

18. dulcimer47

dulcimer47 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Very well put. +1

19. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you wrong? :p

http://blaredblu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Spartacus-Vengeance-2x2.jpg

Or is the lady in red the exception that proves the rule? ;)

20. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And yet Trek BBS purports itself to be an openminded forum in all manners pertaining to Trek.