TMP-era fan productions

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by starshipfan, Aug 16, 2014.

1. starshipfan

starshipfan Ensign Red Shirt

Of all of the fan productions I've seen (and I'm sure I've missed quite a few), only Starship Potemkin seems to be set in the TMP era. I personally like the ships of that time frame, particularly the Excelsior class (not the Ent-B mod). In any case, I love what Starbase Studios has done for TOS era productions, and was wondering if anyone had plans for something similar in the TMP era?

Toward that end, does anyone have any accurate set design references for the corridors and bridge, preferably the ST V/VI version bridge? I've seen some plan layouts, but none with dimensions, and nothing that shows profile views (except the original TMP general bridge profile).

Thanks for listening.

2. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Starship Farragut are planning to build movie era sets for future projects. No idea what style.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Does any group actually use the TMP uniforms? I know Phase II has started using actual Phase II style uniforms in places, but they've not moved on the TMP style uniforms to my knowledge.

4. USS Intrepid

None that I'm aware of I'm afraid.

5. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

There is a series in development (Star Trek: Elokomin) which plans on shooting on our sets but set in 2277, about 3 or 4 years after ST:TMP, about a Abbe-class photon torpedo destroyer. Their uniforms are somewhat a mixture of TMP, TWOK and Polo shirts. Filming has already begun, and they'll be on our sets September 20th and then later in January 2015. (We also have a Klingon group that is filming on our Klingon bridge August 22nd -- this Friday.)

Our original bridge plans were very loosely based on "Mister Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" but space restrictions required us to downsize almost all our sets. Our current bridge in our new 2000' studio is a Constellation-class bridge module that's been installed aboard the Potemkin, and is pretty close to being of proper scale there.

Currently, we're working on a two-man shuttlecraft, and afterwards, we'll be installing some flat screen monitors on the bridge that should be pretty darn cool and lessen some of our post-production work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Long out of production, (although there is a claim of a film in the can that was never completed) and having no sets, Tales of the Seventh Fleet is also Movie Era. http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/26.html . Look at their uniforms and judge for yourself if they are what you are talking about.

7. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

If you mean the first movie uniforms, the answer's probably "Not if we can possibly help it." :lol:

James Cawley of Phase II does have at least one TMP uniform, and modelled it on the bridge in a publicity shot:

[​IMG]

And that pic tells you all you need to know about why nobody wants to use (or even see) them.

8. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I'm looking forward to Farragut's series of later ones - I've always liked the WoK era uniforms.

9. FredCFO

FredCFO Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The TMP uniforms were one of the disappointments I had with the TOS movie series. Robert Wise reportedly felt that the bright colors of the original uniforms would subtract from the actors' faces. Gene Roddenberry noted that everytime NASA tried to describe a futuristic uniform, it just seemed like long underwear to him. And indeed that is what they got with STTMP. Nicholas Meyer wanted more nautical type uniforms and hence the "Santa Claus" uniforms of the rest of the TOS movie series. I wish they stayed with the original uniforms (or a modification like New Trek).

Project: Potemkin came up with a nice solution -- TMP hardware (rank, insignia) combined with a simple monocolor tunic with the same TMP color scheme for divisions. (Full disclosure: I am associated with this production.)

10. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks, Fred, and yeah, it works for us. Basically, the tunics are the ones worn underneath the "mountie" uniform jackets:

White: Command
    Blue: Science/Tactical
    Yellow: Helm/Nav/Comm/Engineering
    Black: Security
    Green: Medical
    Red: Cadets

We just cannot afford the jackets for the entire cast. :)

11. starshipfan

starshipfan Ensign Red Shirt

That sounds interesting. Can you post or provide a link to pickures of the new bridge?

12. Potemkin_Prod

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've not checked out enough fan films to know, but has anyone built a full scale replica of an engine room set (any era)?

14. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, Shatner's white short-sleeve tunic is great, and I love the engineering and security officer outfits...And Spock's custom high-necked tunic is dignified and so right for the character...

15. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I know Phase II is working on building the engine room meant for the '78 series (which presumably could then be converted into the full TMP engine room).

16. Potemkin_Prod

We have a "Plasma Conduit Maintenance Center" which is right above Engineering. We also have used a partial set with green screen, but neither of them are "full scale replica." I'd hate to think the cost of creating such a set.

17. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I meant those uniforms. They are definately not common in the fandom. Only a few people seem to really like them.

I was just curious if anyone used them since the title of the threat was TMP-era fan productions, which to me means 2270-2277 (the time of the theoretical second five year mission and the days before the uniform change to all red coats)

18. USS Intrepid

FWIW, I like the TMP costumes. They had a nice variety that is lacking elsewhere in the Trek franchise.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

they're probably my favorite uniforms.

20. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't like the ones from the first movie, but do like the "Santa Claus" stuff in the rest. Easier to hide your love handles.