Worlds of DS9

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by mackula, May 18, 2009.

1. mackula

mackula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was wondering if the 3 Worlds of DS9 books were worth reading and/or are they necessary to read before Warpath? Without any spoilers being revealed, are there any events in the books that are referenced in Warpath?

2. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stock answer: All novels are written so that you don't have to have read the previous ones.

Real answer: Warpath continues a cliffhanger from the last of the Worlds of DS9 books (The Dominion). It also has important ties to the Bajor story.

The DS9 series is pretty much like the show. Fairly serialized.

Oh, and yes they are.

3. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Warpath follows directly from the events of Olympus Descending (and by directly, I mean a span of minutes if that) in the third book. I highly recommend getting that book if no other, although all the stories have something to recommend to them (the other story in Book 3, Satisfaction Is Not Guaranteed, is also quite good).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say the Bajor story actually plays a pretty major role in both Warpath, and Feaful Symmetry. Pretty much all of the stories have a pretty big impact on the specific characters and planets involved too, even they don't add alot to the overall arc of the series. So I'd recommend you read them if you can.

5. mackula

Thank you all...
    Looks like I have alot of reading to do. Just trying to figure out what to get to first; the Destiny trilogy or the DS9 books. I was on a roll with the DS9 books and wanted to take a break and get back to the TNG relaunch.
    I'll flip a coin :)

6. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just curious.... why would you want to read one and not the others? It's a series. It works best if you read all of them.

7. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recommend them ALL. They become a bit formulaic, but they are really entertaining novellas. Must-reads if you are a hardcore DS9 fan (and yes, most of them are casually referenced in Olympus Descending, Warpath and Fearful Symmetry.

One thing you'll especially find interesting is that "Feringar" is delightful, it has comedic value, it's entertaining and well-written (I say this because I dragged my feet on starting this one due to my hatred of Ferengi, but it was actually a very fun read).

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Aw, thanks! *blush*

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree about Satisfaction is Not Guaranteed. I'm one of the few people who actually liked DS9's Ferengi episodes and I put the story right up there with the best of them.

10. mackula

After the feedback here, I will read them all. I guess I was just getting lazy. I'm just debating what to get to first, the Destiny series or the Worlds of series.

11. ToddCam

Well, Destiny has an indirect spoiler for Worlds of DS9: Trill, so maybe you want to read them first. Publication order is usually the way to go, I'd say.

12. mackula

Thanx... I thought that may be the case, makes alot of sense. I see that the DS9 relaunch seems to be a couple of years behind TNG's. 4?

13. ToddCam

The last DS9 book, Fearful Symmetry, is in early 2377. Destiny is in early 2381. So, yeah, four.

14. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do my best with publication order. I want to read Destiny, but I feel like I need to go back and read some these TNG books, first. I'll continue with the "A time to..." series after I finish "Children of Dune."

15. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

In my opinion, the "Worlds of DS9" series is when the DS9 relaunch lost its way, got mired in uninteresting stories (I only made it part-way through the second book.) When I revisisted the relaunch later it was a shame to see that it is stuck in an inane plot about the Mirror Universe, the Intendant, etc. The Relaunch is a mess right now.

16. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

^ I disagree. I thought those books were fantastic. I especially like the Trill / Bajor volume (2), but they all moved the story along nicely. The Mirror Universe story has only existed in what? 4 books? Something like that. And I don't see that as a bad thing, as to me it feels very much like the culmination of such storylines on DS9 the series. The books have done a fantastic job of following up on the series storylines. And while the Mirror Universe story isn't where I would have expected it to go, I'll be forever grateful for "Fearful Symmetry" which finally answered my questions surrounding the DS9 episode "Second Skin". :)

17. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I don't agree. The history of the relaunch is one of not just doing one novel after the next, it's always involved some experimentation in its approach to storytelling. For example, the way Rising Son reflects Mission: Gamma, or the flipbook model for Fearful Symmetry.

DS9 has a lot of ongoing threads and a lot of characters, so telling six stories in three books, each story focusing on one of those threads, was an interesting way to make some real progress.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

The way Worlds of... fleshes out some of the most important planets/characters from the TV show and relaunch is probably my favorite part of these books, aside from them just being very good stories. Whether really exploring a culture we haven't had much insight to, such as the Trill and Andorians, or shining the light on a different perspective of a culture we have seen a lot of, like the Bajorans and Cardassians.

19. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I especially loved the Cardassia segment,the early interaction between O'Brien and Garak amidst the ruins of the capital city were particularly cinematic.
    One wonders,in the wake of recent events within the Federatiion where the O'Briens and their land reclaimation project is now.

20. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering what they'll do/have done (depending on series:klingon:) when the civil war hits Cardassia in 2379 (as revealed in "The Calling" and referenced in Destiny and A Singular Destiny (Ghemor's assassination, and the subsequent rise of a new castellan I'm guessing is Malyn Ocett)).