Authors You'd Like to See Write Trek...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by TJ Sinclair, Jan 19, 2013.

1. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, what authors who haven't written a Trek novel would you like to see do one?

Top of my list would be a novel from Dan Abnett, having always loved his comics work, especially Early Voyages and Guardians of the Galaxy. Recently read his latest Doctor Who novel, which is one of the best of the revival series' books. Any chance he would ever write a Trek novel? Maybe a Pike book?

I'd also love to see Jim Butcher try his hand at one. It'd be offbeat, but probably very fun. We got a Perry Mason-style Sam Cogley book, how about a Dixon Hill adventure? :)

Who would you like to see write a Trek novel?

2. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

I asked this once before (a year ago i think):

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=164035

Anyway, from other tie-in writers, I would love prose by Black Library staple writers Dan Abnett and Aaron Dempski-Bowen (both of whom do rather deep and deconstructive things with the IPs they work with).

From the genre world,

* Neil Gaiman,
    * Gene Wolfe,
    * Patrick Rothfuss (author of The Name of the Wind),
    * Ursula LeGuin (in an alternate 80s, especially because of the admittedly flawed Left Hand of Darkness),
    * Scott Lynch (author of the Lies of Locke Lamora), Ian MacLeod and Iain Banks.

I am completely aware these writers are all male (with the exception of LeGuin), and white. This is a problem: I don't read enough outsider genre fiction. As an art historian, this is bad.

From outwith,

* Zadie Smith (especially because of the brilliant White Teeth)
    * "Luther Blisset" (for their novel Q)
    * The wonderful Sheila Heti (author of How Should a Person Be?)
    * And many, many other writers mentioned in the culture sections of the Guardian, New Yorker and other places.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I'd like to see Larry Niven write the ultimate Star Trek Kzinti novel. ;)

4. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

So long as I'm dreaming:

1. Orson Scott Card*
    2. Thomas Harlan
    3. Michael Stackpole

*IIRC, he actually loved the last movie.

I'd also really like to read more by Heather Jarman.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to see if Timothy Zahn could do as good a job on Trek as does on SW.

6. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You beat it to me, JD.

7. TJ Sinclair

Wouldn't everybody?

That being said, while I'm a huge fan of authors like Neil Gaiman and Gene Wolf, I was thinking more along the lines of writers who might actually do a Trek novel. ;)

Abnett I could see doing one. Zahn might someday, however unlikely it might be. Gaiman and Wolfe and most of the hard SF writers? Never in a million years.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After reading all of the Errand of Vengeance AND Errand of Fury novels, I REALLY want Kevin Ryan to write another Trek novel. I know that's not what you're asking, but I still want it to happen!

9. Jarvisimo

Oh, of course: but that was what you asked, and these brilliant and iconoclastic people (from within and without sci-fi) I'd love to see play in that sandbox.

10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would second Dan Abnett.
    If you are looking for some top military sci-fi,I would suggest his Gaunt's ghosts series.Although they are part of the Warhammer universe you needn't be too conversant with that milieu to enjoy these books.But if you do read them be sure to read them in order of release.

11. Jarvisimo

^ From his tie-in literature, I would recommend Eisenhorn (originally 2003-4 and its follow ups, Ravenor and Pariah) over Gaunt's Ghosts. Perhaps this is because the former books are more taut and focused, although since the Ghosts series charts his published prose career since 1998/9 to present, they also chart the development of his writing to its current confidence and foci. And his work in 1998/9 was pretty good too, with him really hitting his focus with his 3rd GG novel, Necropolis (2000), part of the Founding omnibus collection.

Also the line-up of Marvel's upcoming Guardians of the Universe is that invented by Abnett and his writing partner, Andy Lanning, I think I read somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  12. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Jarvisimo, are you are aware that you've posted links to illegal scans of books in your links above?

13. Jarvisimo

oh, i'll take them away: piracy is bad. Thanks for saying and sorry, James (and to everyone else affected by this).

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After they got Baxter and Reynolds to write Doctor Who novels, I'm no longer convinced that's the case.

Now, whether Pocket would be willing to pony up the money for that, that's another question entirely. ;)

I'd like to see Sean Williams write a Titan novel; I think that his sensibilities would be a good fit there.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Jack McDevitt

16. Zedferret

Zedferret Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

John G Hemry
    Matthew Stover
    Michael Stackpole

and sometime in the future..

KRAD and Lonemagpie.

17. TJ Sinclair

Very much a Stover and Stackpole fan. And if KRAD doesn't write another Trek novel soon, I'll be going into withdrawal.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you haven't played them, you might want to try to find Interplay's old 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites computer games. Stackpole was one of the writers on them.

19. TJ Sinclair

Had a lot of fun with both back in the day. Most of the old Interplay Trek games were a lot of fun.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Seconded !