Captain America: The Winter Soldier Discussion Thread - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by trekkiebaggio, Mar 26, 2014.

?

What did you think?

1. Excellent

138 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. Good

27 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Poor

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. In the comics it was an adamantium / vibranium alloy; but the word adamantium seems to be tied up in the X- men license at Fox, so the movie leaves that part out.

I wish they had left a little more of the comic idea for his shield in the movies. His shield was meant to be the first piece on a new indestructible tank class; but the only time the alloy worked was when they made the dome shaped piece for the hatch. The shield was seen as a useless piece of junk from a failed experiment until Cap happened across it.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You're half right and half wrong. The shield is half adamantium (which Fox has the rights to), but they didn't invent vibranium for the movie, the other half has always been vibranium. Virbranium is usually synonymous with Wakanda (a place not really known for sharing, but is known for the Black Panther).

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, that's how I remember it, beyond the shield they could never get the alloy to work again. I seem to think the other metal was something more mundane, a steel or something.

Checking a Marvel wiki the shield is made of Vibranium, steel and an unknown third component combined with another factor happening due to exhaustion on the part of the scientist. Trying to duplicate the alloy, minus Vibranium and the unknown factor, resulted in true Adamantium.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Per Dark Horizons, apparently Amazon and Disney are in the midst of a bitch fight, so Amazon is blocking preorders of The Winter Soldier and other movies. If anyone was wondering why they can't preorder through Amazon, this is why.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is that apparently now Amazon's go to move if they get into a disagreement with a company? That's the same thing they're still doing with Hachette. If they keep this shit up they're going to start losing costumers. I know I'm finding myself tempted to either start using B&N again, or Google Play for my ebooks.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sure, but they'd be a pretty small percentage of Amazon's revenue anyway. ;)

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Thank you both for the clarification.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well I'm going to presume that since we've seen photos/artwork of a typically-attired Captain America and relatively easy destruction of Ultron drones from Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America must have recovered his shield sometime offscreen and vibranium is still a rare substance in the 21st century of the MCU.

9. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not going to let Amazon inconvenience me. Screw them. I'll happily purchase my copy of Captain America: The Winter Soldier from a local retailer.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

So, I was re-watching TWS and I noticed something funny. During the Lemurian Star sequence, I was lamenting the fact that this was the only scene where Scarlett wears Black Widow's super-hero suit. Not that it was really needed, or even appropriate, for Widow's scenes, Scarlett just looks really good in it.

But then, towards the end of the movie, out of the blue and very briefly during the scene where she and Fury catch Falcon with the helicopter, she's suddenly wearing her Black Widow suit! With a battle raging and a out of control helicarrier about to smash them, when would Natasha find the time or feel the need to change into her super-hero suit?:confused::lol:

Oh, well. At least she looked good in it.:drool:;):)

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well Amazon were nice enough to refund me the money for the copy of the film I pre-ordered in May, said they'd dispatched, and never arrived.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

She needed to change out of the outfit she was wearing when disguised as the councilwoman?

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

It's up for sale now on amazon. Weird.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I just assumed she had the jumpsuit on underneath those clothes. One assumes they're functional and offer better protection than street clothes. Kevlar weave perhaps? Plus of course better freedom of movement.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know, and they did send one out, apparently, it just never got here. It's the only problem I've had with Amazon themselves since I started using them really.

This is after 3 months of confusing emails to say it was removed from their listings, then re-added, back in June and July etc

16. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw DVDs of TWS on sale this past weekend at my local Walgreens... I'm holding out for the Bluray, so I didn't pick one up... Somebody must have goofed, putting it on the shelves like that..

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I downloaded it from my favorite free (illegal) site.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Picked up a physical copy at last, collection is up to date again. Until the GotG DVD.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I got my Blu-ray after work earlier tonight and watched it as soon as I got home. Still holds up. Such a fantastic movie. :techman:

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I got the standard DVD. I haven't watched it yet, plan to tonight.
    It contains 1 Delted Scene
    The BluRay says Scenes, plural. Wonder how they chose which scene to include.