Should B&B have a Fan Film version of PB's defunct SNW Contests?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Aquehonga, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

I heard George Lucas/LucasFilms had SW Fan Film contests & they were sort of SW's analogue or parallel of Pocket Books now-extinct Strange New Worlds Contests.

If SW can have Fan Film contests where, I'm assuming, winning entries were both officially CANONized {or at LEAST quasi-canonized} & winners, I hope, were financially rewarded as well, then why can't STAR TREK/B&B/Paramount do the same thing:confused:

I'm right about the SW Fan Film Contests yes:confused: Or is that just internet scuttlebutt through the grapewhine:scream::mad:

What do YOU think about the idea of ST Fan Films Contests? Should they become a reality?

If they did, winner's films should be officially CANONized, well, OFFICIALLY quasi-canonized, being realistic considering ST & it's very limited “Sphere of Canonicity”. Plus winners should be rewarded financially as well & I don't mean mere bags of shells.

Well, that's my idea(s) for ST Fan Film Contests & the rewards I think winners should get.

This topic is for the hoped future benefit of ST Fan Film makers. I am not 1 of them/you & due to lack of equipment/supplies, WON'T be a ST Fan Film maker anytime soon.

What do YOU think of my suggestion(s) here (whether you're a ST Fan Film maker or not)?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the idea of competitions among fan films is unpleasant and as someone who works on them I would not be interested.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

The Star Wars fan films are never canonized. Star Trek fan films should never be canonized. TPTB at Paramount/CBS should never get involved with fan films on any official level other then how they are now. TPTB should never host a contest. Fan Film contests, as an idea, are not that bad of one, as long as it is not taken seriously and a contest is just meant for fun with the winner mostly just getting bragging rights. Those who like fan films can see them and can have access to, theoretically, a wide range. Plus, it is a good way for fan film makers to network.

4. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

This is just an idea anyway, an abstraction for the present, & probably farseeable future.

What I'm envisioning would just be a Fan Film equivalent of PB's extinguished SNW Contests.

I went overboard, ^ ,stressing canonicity, well it would really be semi- or quasi-canonicity yes:confused: Trek Literature is all essentially quasi-canon, or q-c until its contradicted on screen. So much for those SW Fan Films having any canon huh?

I overhyped the monetary reward aspect too. That's a given in such contests anyway. My stressing of that element was executed shamelessly & sloppily:(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  5. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

Trek "literature" is not canon. Onscreen material is canon, but not fan films.

By "B&B" do you mean Berman and Braga? Those people have nothing to do with Star Trek any more, and given the comments I read about them on this message board, I don't know how excited the fans would be to have them involved in any Trek fan productions (not that either would be particularly likely to participate in the first place).

6. Admiral Buzzkill

I still always read it as "bed and breakfast."

7. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

So true. And I'm 1 of those aficionados :scream::mad: with B&B.

Figured B&B would unfortunately have to be involved in said FF contest(s) above. A necessary evil I'd figured.

Glad to hear B&B aren't involved in ST or work in Paramount's ST Dept anymore:techman:

ST is now free of B&B's stranglehold:beer:

True TrekLit ain't canon, sans novel & comic book adaptations of Trek TV shows & films. But TrekLit is a sort of quasi-canon (pseudo-canon really) in that a certain book may be “solid” or “accepted” until utterly contradicted on screen.

Perfect example is the novel DARK MIRROR. That was “canon” (well semi/quasi/sorta-canon) until DS9's CROSSOVER aired. Ever since, DM has lost it's pseudo-“canonicity”, the quasi-canonship it had.

But DM was NEVER technically, officially CANON & certainly has no chance of ever being so now.

I wish B&B only stood for Bed & Breakfast but 2 assclowns rained on that parade:mad:

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

No. It's not.

9. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

My bad:(

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The Star Wars fan-film competitions were only for the parody fanfilms with no straight/dramatic entries allowed. I was pretty active on TFN's fan film board and the overwhelming opinion of the populace (minus the couple winners and a handful of others) was that it was a crock of shit with someone trying to make some money off of the work of the fans by airing all these fan films without having to actually buy them or get entanged in Lucasfilm's legal dept. .

11. Admiral Buzzkill

They did their jobs. You?

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

While I don't think any sort of official fanfilm awards would be particularly beneficial, I'll say for the record, that I'd be quite happy for the opportunity to work with Berman and Braga.

Make of that what you will. :)

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The word "canon" is being thrown around here when what is meant is "continuity". A fair number of the Trek novels share a common continuity at this point (following, finally, in Star Wars' lead in that respect). Similarly, many of the extant Trek fan films are tying together their continuities.

14. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

:wtf:

As the tree said to the lumberjack:

“I'm stumped:confused:

15. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Where money is concerned, there is no such thing as reverent altruism, there is only predators with larger and larger teeth.

16. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Quite true my boy but money IS a nece$$ary :evil: in the world:rolleyes:

17. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I'd rather die a virtuous man.

18. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Whatever floats your boat!

Virtues are admirable & noble xortex but folks can't get by on virtues alone:rolleyes:

19. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not so sure about a full-blown contest, but maybe some sort of film festival of sorts, with a bunch of non-monetary awards.

Put it on Sci-Fi and have Rod Roddenberry host it (the kid needs something to do besides the website, y'know).

20. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

:techman:

Not bad!

That would be :cool:

I think I came off :evil:, cynical & etc $tre$$ing the dough a$pect$ of said such contests yes:confused:

On Sci-Fi would be :cool:, or IFC, Sundance, TNT or TBS maybe?, the CW, among others.

Rewards aren't & don't have to be restricted to becoming a doughboy or becoming a part of continuities.